• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Modrocker

Modrocker

Tiro

• Community Newbie
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 09:54 PM

Last year I started a Lord of the Rings conversion with a buddy of mine that mods the popular game Age of Kings and its expansion pack. With new data editing programs its possible to do things that were once thought impossible. I had made alot of progress in the first few months, I finished up 30+ units and some nice buildings and terrains have been made as well, along with other nice pieces of work. The last couple of months have had no progress as I lost what little support I had, I still really want to get this project done so if you are interested in helping let me know.

Check this site for screens and info.
http://www.mfbb.net/...e-about574.html

#2 HG-Alex

HG-Alex

Discens

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 06:42 PM

That mod looks amazing! Awesome work. B)
I can't help since I've lost my AOC disc. But, I wish you the best of luck on this project.

Looking forward to more screenshots once some more progress is made. :shrug:
Alex Walz

Reverie World Studios, INC. | Assistant Producer & Marketing Director
0 AD Enthusiast

#3 Historicity

Historicity

Triplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 02:37 PM

I doubt you will find any help in these forums considering we're all purist fans at TLA; seeing as how your mod is based on the LOTR Trilogy by Peter Jackson.

#4 NaurwenT

NaurwenT

Digresser Extraordinaire

• WFG Retired
  • 783 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 03:43 PM

Well, the fact they use the visual conception of the Trilogy does not mean their approach has to be the same as that of the films.
Actually it makes sense they use the films as base since it's the film "imagery" that is easily available for fans (be it DVDs, internet sites, etc...) and does not require any new conceptual art.
Btw, nice looking screenshots :shrug:

TLA Linguistic & Art Departments

#5 Modrocker

Modrocker

Tiro

• Community Newbie
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 04:28 AM

Thanks for the feedback. You don't need the game to help, links to sites containing unit animations would be nice.

#6 Beren IV

Beren IV

Duplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 09:07 PM

...Why do you say this mod is based off of the movies? I certainly don't get that impression...

Besides, not all of us are the same type of purist. :shrug:

However, I'm not sure how I can help. The one biggest pitfall that all fantasy stratagy I have ever encountered set in Tolkien's world or a world similar to Tolkien's world is one of population dynamics: the different races have such different birth rates and such different inherent capabilities that these things just have to be taken into account before it really fits the world. How do you deal with the fact that the birth rates of the Orcs and lesser Men far exceed the birth rates of the Elves and Dwarves? It seems to me that a given Elf or Dwarf unit, in an AoK-type game, should be three-to-four times the cost as a unit of one of the Haradrim or the Breelanders. At the same time, the Elves and Dwarves are far more effective, especially at research and the gathering of certain kinds of resources, as well as in military tactics and skirmishing.

At the same time, I have come to a very non-confrontational opinion about the structure of the units themselves. Because of aforementioned population dynamics reasons, Elves and Dwarves are forced to rely heavily on guerilla warfare, but Tolkien leaves us with precious little information about, for example, what kinds of weapons they use. The elf with a bow and the dwarf with an axe may be classic, but it is plainly apparent that these are not the only weapons that either race uses: we know they also at least know about swords, spears, axes, bows, picks, hammers, and so on. But do they know about gunpowder? Can they attack using magic? Tolkien never describes either of these directly, only though tantalizing hints, and Tolkien purists, or those that call themselves purists, vehemently say "no" to both questions because Tolkien doesn't describe them and they don't need to be there in the way that, for example, D&D has them. Yet, there are explicit statements that some of the factions, the Elves among them, do use magic as a weapon on occasion, although apparently in a more mythical style than in typical high fantasy artillery-magic, and certainly Sauron and Saruman have something that passes for gunpowder! In conclusion, I don't really have much of a comment on content per se, so long as it retains a Tolkienian feel, and there are a great many different ways to do that, with what TLA is doing being only one of them.

#7 Modrocker

Modrocker

Tiro

• Community Newbie
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 11:11 PM

Let's not stir up any debates, I'm just modding AoK, I'll make the stats reflect on the factions but it's not gonna be 100 % tolkien purity, I'm very limited on what I could do. This project is just for scenario designers who want to make their lord of the rings projects more authentic, nothing more.

#8 Beren IV

Beren IV

Duplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 01:19 AM

A noble goal. :shrug: