21 replies to this topic

#1 blablahead

blablahead

Discens

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:55 PM

I think a mod set during the New Kingdom of Egypt timeline would be great, as it's one of my favorite parts of history. Factions could be Egyptians, Assyrians, Babylonians, Hittites, Hebrews, etc.

Finding names for units could be a challenge though.

Any thoughts?

#2 Cassador_Chris

Cassador_Chris

Duplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 07:37 AM

Well, names shouldn't be too hard, as long as people can get their names on some Osprey books and some ancient language texts.

I'll definately enjoy planning and arguing over different ideas. In fact, I worked on a project back in HeavenGames Age of Empires III forums where a bunch of people laid out an idea for a game called "Age of Antiquity". It eventually lost interest, but there is a ton of information there. Here's the link: http://aoe3.heavenga...t&f=9,30443,,10
"Allies in Shogun 2 are among the most traitorous that I have ever seen. Do not trust them, but declare war on them at the first opportunity." - Sun Tzu

#3 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Senator

• WFG Retired
  • 14,961 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 07:49 AM

Ahhhh, good ol' Age of Antiquity...

#4 Cassador_Chris

Cassador_Chris

Duplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 08:41 AM

Shore does bring back teh memories, aye? ;)
"Allies in Shogun 2 are among the most traitorous that I have ever seen. Do not trust them, but declare war on them at the first opportunity." - Sun Tzu

#5 Silver

Silver

Sesquiplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 05:43 PM

Is there lots of original Ages of Empires on that forum (Heaven Games)?

I'm registered on Age Community and ES is shutting down so all the good posters have left so I'm 2 almost 3 years older then everyone else who posts on that forum and plays the game. ;)

Edited by Silver, 13 December 2008 - 05:48 PM.

#6 blablahead

blablahead

Discens

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 07:07 PM

It was pretty easy actually to find a good amount of unit names for the Egyptians, but I don't think the others will be so easy.

#7 Jugulator

Jugulator

Discens

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:34 AM

Or including some cultures of the center of Africa, such as the Maasai or Pygmies

Maasai 'Circle of Warriors'
Posted Image

I made a project when I had 14, so I had some info about their traditions and the roleplaying for each member of the tribe

Edited by Jugulator, 19 January 2009 - 07:35 AM.

PEACE SELLS... BUT WHO'S BUYING

#8 portutar

portutar

Tiro

• Community Newbie
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:31 PM

Hey, guys I want to now if the mod age of antiquity is active, I get the first age of empires so I am really interested about this mod

maybe the chris_cassador or the mythos_ruler can help me in this?

#9 Cassador_Chris

Cassador_Chris

Duplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:24 PM

Whoah. Watch out everyone, a zombie! I'll make sure to double-tap this one this time... :flex:

To answer your question, portutar, no, the Age of Antiquity mod hasn't been 'active' since '07. Though I personally would say that it was never active. It never got beyond the planning stages.

#10 Kimball

Kimball

Rise of the East

• WFG Retired
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:34 AM

likes this one, more civs more game , more fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXNe0qEG04g

Rob Kimball
Scion Development Producer (Rise of the East)

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#11 portutar

portutar

Tiro

• Community Newbie
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:17 PM

Thanks cassador_chris I as all ready suspicious about that, well thank you for tell me cassador :D.

#12 AllenY

AllenY

Discens

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:17 PM

THis sounds like a good idea, though Assyrians/Babylonians/Hebrews will be a problem since they all owned each others territory (part of) in different stages of histroy, and the Babylonians are just technically an offshoot of Assyria anyway.
I might be wrong.

#13 Lion.Kanzen

Lion.Kanzen

Fallen Soldier

• Council of Modders - Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,508 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:35 AM

THis sounds like a good idea, though Assyrians/Babylonians/Hebrews will be a problem since they all owned each others territory (part of) in different stages of histroy, and the Babylonians are just technically an offshoot of Assyria anyway.
I might be wrong.

ah Prquel from 0.AD maybe call: Ancient B.C or 0 A. D : The Bronze Age.
dD7PHqq.png

#14 Atenmeses52

Atenmeses52

Sesquiplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:58 AM

It was pretty easy actually to find a good amount of unit names for the Egyptians, but I don't think the others will be so easy.

For the others we could use modern equivalent languages, ie: for the Hebrews use Modern, or even classical Hebrew, and the Assyrians can be using classical or modern Aramaic. Babylonians are a slight issue though-- maybe Iraqi Arabic would work? I don't think many people speak Akkadian anymore... :)
Posted Image
0 A.D. Bronze Age Mod

#15 Lion.Kanzen

Lion.Kanzen

Fallen Soldier

• Council of Modders - Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,508 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

For the others we could use modern equivalent languages, ie: for the Hebrews use Modern, or even classical Hebrew, and the Assyrians can be using classical or modern Aramaic. Babylonians are a slight issue though-- maybe Iraqi Arabic would work? I don't think many people speak Akkadian anymore... :)

we can search if are enough words for the game
dD7PHqq.png

#16 oddchild

oddchild

Discens

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:05 PM

Arabic is quite different. It would be better off making strange sounds until something is found. Iraqi Arabic does have some things that are unique to it, but I wouldn't think you could pass it off as Babylonian. Assyrian / Ashuri is much closer. There are "Caldi" Caldeans, (that also live in Irbil, though I think their language and the Assyrians are the same now. Alternate spelling (Chaldean).

#17 Atenmeses52

Atenmeses52

Sesquiplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:45 PM

Arabic is quite different. It would be better off making strange sounds until something is found. Iraqi Arabic does have some things that are unique to it, but I wouldn't think you could pass it off as Babylonian. Assyrian / Ashuri is much closer. There are "Caldi" Caldeans, (that also live in Irbil, though I think their language and the Assyrians are the same now. Alternate spelling (Chaldean).

It is, but there are not many Chaldeans still around-- maybe we could use this instead and pronounce it like we would arabic: http://www.premiumwa...ry/index_en.php
Posted Image
0 A.D. Bronze Age Mod

#18 AllenY

AllenY

Discens

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:37 AM

There could be a Greek nation too, Myceneans, right? I'm pretty sure it falls in the "Greek Dark Ages" but it seems that the Greek Dark AGes are just because archaeologists haven't found much, not because there isn't anything to find.

#19 AllenY

AllenY

Discens

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:02 AM

I did some research, the nations that are feasible during the New Kingdom period of Egypt are:
Assyrians
Myceneans
New Kingdom Egyptians (Obviously)
Hittites
Babylonians
Mixed Central Europeans (e.g. Lusatians, Nuragic, etc.)
If we also include Asian Civs, there is
Shang China
Harappans
Gojoseon Korea

The Asian Civs might be a sort of "Part 2" for the mod, I don't know. Anyway, take your pick and let's get mining.

#20 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Senator

• WFG Retired
  • 14,961 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:47 AM

Minoans as well. One of my favorites from this period.

My amateur attempt at designing them: http://aoe3.heavenga...43&st=20#post21