• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Senator

• WFG Retired
  • 14,966 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:48 AM

You can download the game from many different sites apparently, but here's one of them:

http://www.gamershel...oad_33916.shtml

Apparently Midway has released the FULL game for FREE download. The only catch is a few U.S. Air Force advertisements.

I tried the demo a few years ago and wasn't impressed. The demo seemed very rushed and incomplete and the ships were hard to use, not to mention the demo map was very small. I decided not to bother buying it. But Matt told me it is now available in full for free to download, so I said, "What the hell... might as well..." so I am installing it right now to try it out.

The game is like antithesis to 0 A.D. lol It's very unhistorical (Cleopatra running around semi-nude firing arrows, while Achilles fights Germanicus Caesar. Of all the Caesars, why they had to choose "Germanicus" as the Roman hero I have no idea. lol. I think the main reason to play it is for the cool ships, but like I said they are difficult to use. It has a few other cool features that you should check out too. This was the game that bankrupted SSSI (Stainless Steel Studios).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Brightgalrs

Brightgalrs

Sesquiplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:53 AM

Mmmmmm.... Cleopatra... :)
Robert Schultz [ aka Brightgalrs ]
Contact me: RobertSchultz@gmail.com
MSN Account: ChaosRobie@yahoo.com

#3 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Senator

• WFG Retired
  • 14,966 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:15 AM

Just installed it and played a skirmish map. It is bloody FUN. The RTS aspect is about as deep as a pizza box, but the hero-mode is fun as heck. I really enjoyed it.

#4 feneur

feneur

Cartographer of imaginary worlds

• 0 A.D. Project Leader
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:40 PM

Downloaded it (after some trouble as there seemed to be something wrong with the download page for a while, but eventually it worked). I do definitely agree with your description, it's not exactly the most complex RTS, but being able to alternate between RTS and the hero mode is really nice. Thanks for telling us about it (though I'm sure it will take up some time that perhaps could have been more productively used, ah well, one needs to have fun too :) )

Erik Johansson [ aka feneur ]

Wildfire Games
Contact me: feneur@wildfiregames.com

Support Wildfire Games!

#5 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Senator

• WFG Retired
  • 14,966 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:02 PM

I like the hero medallion in the top left, where you can see the hero's stamina and health, and you can click the icon to take you straight to the hero. I think it is something 0 A.D. should emulate, since like R&F, 0 A.D. will only allow you one hero at a time.

#6 feneur

feneur

• 0 A.D. Project Leader
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:20 PM

As long as it's not too intrusive I think it's a nice idea. It won't have as much use in 0 A.D. as in Rise & Fall though I'd guess, but sure, especially if we can make it so it's optional. I mean some users wants to have as little in way of HUD as possible but some will want more, and I guess it will vary between what you're doing too. (In R&F I find it's easier to press the Q key though :) Haven't played all that much yet though so perhaps that will vary)

Wildfire Games

Support Wildfire Games!

#7 Apomonomenos

Apomonomenos

What ever doesn't kill me will only kill me slowly.

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 11:59 PM

I just finished playing the demo when I read this. And I just downloaded it (The demo) :)
"Si Deus Nobiscum quis contra nos
(If god is with us, then who is against us?)"
Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth Motto.

#8 feneur

feneur

• 0 A.D. Project Leader
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:25 PM

Anyone knows who composed the music for Rise and Fall? The reason I'm asking is that I'm finding the music in RAF similar to the Pirates of the Carribean score, perhaps it's just since the music is a bit "bombastic" and grand, but it seems to me that it can be a bit more than that. I'm known to find connections between things people generally don't find connections between so it might just be my mind playing tricks on me :)

Wildfire Games

Support Wildfire Games!

#9 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Senator

• WFG Retired
  • 14,966 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:27 PM

Nice man. I actually listen to the soundtrack when I'm not playing . I'll queue it up in my Winamp. :)

The music was composed by

http://en.wikipedia....i/Rod_Abernethy

and

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Jason_Graves

Both of whom have worked on many video game scores as well as in Hollywood. I'd recommend downloading this game for the music alone!

#10 HG-Alex

HG-Alex

Discens

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:36 AM

Wow, this is great. :)
It's a shame the studio fell apart, Rise and Fall had a lot of potential.
Alex Walz

Reverie World Studios, INC. | Assistant Producer & Marketing Director
0 AD Enthusiast

#11 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Senator

• WFG Retired
  • 14,966 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 05:27 AM

I think it needed about 6 more months of development. Unfortunately Midway just couldn't wait. The game desperately needed one more draft of the game art, and another pass at a lot of the gameplay elements. Plus the editor is buggy as hell.

#12 Apomonomenos

Apomonomenos

What ever doesn't kill me will only kill me slowly.

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:46 PM

Midway Filed Chapter 11 Bankruptcy about a month ago.

Edit: Notice the Comments on the bottom of the Page.

Edited by Apomonomenos, 16 April 2009 - 09:48 PM.

"Si Deus Nobiscum quis contra nos
(If god is with us, then who is against us?)"
Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth Motto.

#13 0AD_King

0AD_King

Tiro

• Community Newbie
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 11:47 PM

I wouldn't mind being shot by Cleopatra there.. I'm going to Dl this game and repost here what I think about it later.

"since like R&F, 0 A.D. will only allow you one hero at a time"

A concept I encountered involving heroes in a RTS game (Age of Mythology) that was a lot of fun was for each new Epoch, a new, more powerful hero was allowed to be made (in addition to the last hero and later ones). So perhaps for each different civ in this game (assuming there are epochs in this game as most rts games), there be a set of different heroes available. And each hero other then looking unique also has a unique special ability that recharges and is auto-used.

E.g. The Hellenes civ can get Leonidas in epoch 2 (He hits really fast for his special recharge ability),then in epoch 3 Alexander of Macedonia becomes available to make too (his special... he morale boosts units around + himself in a yell which raises attack momentarily). And so forth for the next epochs. Persians/other races respectfully get their own heroes accurate to their civilization of course (hero Hannibal on an elephant would be nice - maybe have a raging mad elephant special ability).

Edited by 0AD_King, 16 May 2009 - 11:58 PM.

#14 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Senator

• WFG Retired
  • 14,966 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:31 AM

The gameplay for the game has pretty much been designed already. But basically the game will have "epochs" yes, but not like ages - more like "phases" in a city's development: Village -> Town -> City. You will have 3 heroes to choose from once you hit the City Phase. You can only train one at a time (only one can be alive at once). Each hero will have a special "aura" radius around him that will effect other units in different ways.

Check this out for further details:
http://www.wildfireg...age.php?p=12006

#15 0AD_King

0AD_King

Tiro

• Community Newbie
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 04:51 AM

oh I see I see. Aw why only allow 1 at a time? I like heroes!!

There was a "mythos ruler" on www.clanranking.net forums before. I thought your name looked familiar. Though I'm positive 2 different people lol.

Edited by 0AD_King, 17 May 2009 - 04:54 AM.

#16 MrChocolateBear

MrChocolateBear

Sesquiplicarius

• WFG Retired
  • 173 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 11:46 PM

I'll have to check this out. Thanks for the link, Mythos_Ruler!
Ari Patrick [aka MrChocolateBear]
Wildfire Games Assistant Producer
Contact me: Ari@WildfireGames.com
MSN Account: Ari@AriPatrick.com

Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 MrEmjeR

MrEmjeR

Empegos Navarchos

• WFG Retired
  • 436 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:00 AM

i can't download the game

after waiting 5 seconds to download.. it tells me that the page is not available!

the problem was that Chrome cannot download it...

btw micheal: now i saw the trailer, i can't afford to scale down the ships... the naval battles are too real here with normal sized ships! i have to find a way to make a crack in the ships when they are hit.

Edited by EmjeR, 17 July 2009 - 09:16 AM.

Matthijs de Rijk [ aka MrEmjeR ]
Wildfire Games 3D Artist
Mail: mrtherich(at)gmail(dot)com
Web: www.emjer.com

Support Wildfire Games!
Posted Image

#18 AuroN2

AuroN2

Duplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:16 AM

ZOMG ALL I NEEDED WAS TO WAIT A YEAR AND I ... @#$%SAKES, but yay, if only someone could make a server for it ;o

Veni, Vedi, Nedi, Sedi.
I came, I saw, I went back to get a sweater.

#19 SMST

SMST

Triplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:17 PM

Did I mention I like this game a lot? Mainly because of the "historically authentic" feel (not historically accurate, that's another thing) that the game has - if you are not playing in hero mode, that is. I too think it is far too overpowered in this game.

Some features I like (and 0AD may consider):
- Outpost capture
- The ships and the mountable walls of course
- Training several units at once
- The campaign (although it is ahistorical, it is actually both challenging and fun)

Some stuff I heavily DISLIKE:
- I am not able to see units statistics other than a relative health-bar.
- The tiny maps. I mean, come on, designers. What is the point of a 5k population limit if the units barely have space on the map?

Posted Image
Platon - it's like Communism without the noble goal.

#20 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Senator

• WFG Retired
  • 14,966 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:22 PM

- Training several units at once

We already have that. Shift-click a unit training icon a few times. You will see.

I didn't like the ships in Rise&Fall. "WHAT?!?!" you say? You heard me. I didn't like them. They were difficult to use and you couldn't build vast fleets like you could in AOE and AOK. I want to recreate a giant naval battle, not a minor skirmish.