406 replies to this topic

#381 oshron

oshron

Centurio

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:44 AM

ill have to look more into him, then. which agricola did you mean, though? cuz im not very well informed on ancient roman historical figures ^_^'
Hey! Check out the plans for my mythology mod on my site! Post input and comments in the discussion thread!

#382 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Megas Philhellene

• 0 A.D. Project Leader
  • 14,887 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:59 AM

http://en.wikipedia....Julius_Agricola

Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos_Ruler]

Wildfire Games Project Leader

Contact me: michaeldhafergmailcom

Support Wildfire Games!

10298.png

#383 oshron

oshron

Centurio

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:12 AM

oh, he DEFINITELY works, then! :D

one thing i still want to figure out, though, is which of the roman major gods will get what heroes. one thing i decided on is that, in general, heroic civs should have more varied sets of heroes (the greeks get a different set for each major god while the hittites will get a different hero depending on what gods they worship). any ideas for what could work best for the romans?
Hey! Check out the plans for my mythology mod on my site! Post input and comments in the discussion thread!

#384 oshron

oshron

Centurio

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:03 AM

since the romans are on-topic, i thought i'd just repost what i have for the romans so far, kinda for quick reference on my part since all the information i have otherwise is on an external harddrive:

Major Gods
  • Quirinus (deified Romulus)
  • Vesta (goddess of the hearth)
  • Mars (god of war)
Minor Gods
  • Pomona

• Available to: Quirinus, Vesta
  • Phase: Town
  • Myth Units: Arachne (giant spider, or possibly spider-woman, that uses webs to tangle up enemies)

Janus

• Available to: Vesta, Mars
  • Myth Units: Automaton (metal soldier that can heal wounded automatons and even repair dead ones if they are fast enough)

Vulcan

• Available to: Quirinus, Mars
  • Phase: Empire
  • Myth Units: Cacus (fire-breathing giant)

Augustalis (deified Augustus)

• Phase: Legend
  • Myth Units: Charybdis (sea monster that creates whirlpools), Laistrygonian (cannibal giant)

Bacchus

• Phase: City
  • Myth Units: Faun (goat-man bard that boosts allied morale with music, and can be upgraded to have a powerful sound-based attack, "Panic")

Julius (deified Caesar)

• Myth Units: Gigantes (giant myth unit that looks like a half-man half-dragon)

Neptune

• Myth Units: Khalkotaur (giant bronze bull), Siren (ocean nymph that uses sound to paralyze ships)

Cybele

• Myth Units: Ladon (multi-headed serpent)

Venus

• Myth Units: Polyphontid (based on Agrius and Oreius), Scylla (multi-headed sea monster, essentially a naval version of the Greek Hydra)

Saturn

• Myth Units: Python (giant snake)

Carmenta

• Myth Units: Teumessian Fox (teleporting fox)

Indiges (deified Aeneas)

• Available to: Quirinus
  • Myth Units: Vrykolakas (vampire-werewolf)

i dont think i ever actually made any plans for what the roman mortal units would be, but i think my intention was always to make it a composite of the republican roman and what would eventually be the imperial roman units, cross-comparing each one

Edited by oshron, 20 March 2012 - 10:58 PM.

#385 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Megas Philhellene

• 0 A.D. Project Leader
  • 14,887 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:24 AM

Hmmm. The obvious major gods should be the Capitoline Triad.

EDIT:

Also, you can use the indent button on the right side to add additional steps to the outline, like so:

Minor Gods

• Town Phase
    • Pomona
    • Myth Units: Arachne (giant spider, or possibly spider-woman, that uses webs to tangle up enemies)
  • Janus
    • Myth Units: Automaton (metal soldier that can heal wounded automatons and even repair dead ones if they are fast enough)

Or something like that. ;) Makes things extra tidy. (y)

Support Wildfire Games!

10298.png

#386 oshron

oshron

Centurio

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:51 PM

figured as much ;) tbph, this board isnt as versatile as some others, but it honestly doesnt need to be. in fact, my own message board is alot clunkier :P

i based the roman gods here (most of them, at least) on ones that were assigned a flamen historically, but i also didnt want to just copy the greek gods, hence why a fair number of the gods in there aren't ones that were part of the planned greek pantheon. i made Quirinus (Romulus), Vesta, and Mars the good, neutral, and evil roman gods, respectively, based on the roman foundation myth: that Romulus and Remus were the sons of a Vestal virgin who was raped by Mars. so Quirinus (Romulus) is cast as the good guy and Mars as teh villain even though he was much more likeable than Ares, with Vesta as a "filler" neutral god. of the major gods, Vesta is the only one that wasn't assigned a flamen maior (at least according to wikipedia :P).

and, of course, the legend phase gods are all deified emperors. Indiges (Aeneas) is given to Quirinus because of the alternative Roman foundation myth, that Aeneas fled the destruction of Troy and eventually settled in what would become Rome; his myth unit, the Vrykolakas, is supposed to be in vague reference to the she-wolf that nursed Romulus and Remus, part of the reason why its only available to Quirinus (i actually based the minor god setups for alot of deities based on what myth units would therefore become available to each major god, like Poseidon for teh greeks getting the minor gods that grant the Cyclops and Minotaur based on mythology, as well as all of the greek naval myth units)

EDIT: i decided to go back and fix up the list with indentations for easier future reference

Edited by oshron, 20 March 2012 - 10:59 PM.

#387 oshron

oshron

Centurio

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:35 PM

what does everyone think would be some good demigod/champion units that i could include for the romans? these can derive from the entirety of roman history rather than just from trajan's era, because Godstorm focuses on mythology rather than absolute history (though is supposed to be accurate otherwise). Praetorian Guards are pretty much a must, so those'll probably go in for either Quirinus or Mars (probably Quirinus since he basically represents deified emperors), but another one that i planned for inclusion as the champion unit available to all romans is the Gladiator, which would be armed with a trident and have a special net attack whereby he throws a net over a single infantryman to tangle them up, leaving them open to attack for a few seconds

#388 Veridagorin

Veridagorin

Discens

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:47 PM

I Got an idea for a Japanese god power the Kamikaze it means divine winds these storms destroyed 2 Mongolian fleets when they tried to invade Japan
basically this power will destroy all human ships in its area off effect and scatter all sea myth units if done on land it will scatter an army doing minimal damage.

KKiVRoD.png?1

Check out my Fantasy Mod here http://www.wildfireg...showtopic=18492

post-15819-0-63727000-1394896676.png

#389 oshron

oshron

Centurio

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:46 AM

I Got an idea for a Japanese god power the Kamikaze it means divine winds these storms destroyed 2 Mongolian fleets when they tried to invade Japan
basically this power will destroy all human ships in its area off effect and scatter all sea myth units if done on land it will scatter an army doing minimal damage.

i think there was always gonna be a hurricane/typhoon godpower in for the japanese (or perhaps tsunami) in reference to that, but keep in mind that im also considering other civs as well; if the japanese get tsunami, then hurricane might go to the mississippians or aztecs

any other input you might have would be much appreciated ;)

#390 oshron

oshron

Centurio

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:57 PM

quick question, id like some second opinions. im working on revising the articles for all the civilizations on my database site and decided to work on teh greeks first. my question is this: Should the second Champion unit available to Poseidon be the Hetairoi or a Cataphract?

#391 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Megas Philhellene

• 0 A.D. Project Leader
  • 14,887 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:14 PM

quick question, id like some second opinions. im working on revising the articles for all the civilizations on my database site and decided to work on teh greeks first. my question is this: Should the second Champion unit available to Poseidon be the Hetairoi or a Cataphract?

The Cataphract is more of an Eastern thing. "Hetairos" is more closely associated with Greeks/Macedonians.

Support Wildfire Games!

10298.png

#392 oshron

oshron

Centurio

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:14 AM

The Cataphract is more of an Eastern thing. "Hetairos" is more closely associated with Greeks/Macedonians.

thanks for your input ;) maybe ill relegate greek cataphracts to a unique technology, then; im pretty sure ive got a cavalry-oriented greek minor god in there somewhere :P

#393 oshron

oshron

Centurio

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:00 PM

another request for second-opinions: im thinking of replacing Zeus' champion unit, the Myrmidon, with a Hypaspist or Pezhetairos, and am also thinking of just making the unique champion units for each of the greek major gods a macedonian unit (or at least macedonian-themed, since ive already got poseidon having the companion cavalry). alternatively, each one will be from a different major culture in ancient greece, with poseidon having macedonia, zeus having athens, and perhaps sparta for hades. thoughts?

Edited by oshron, 23 May 2012 - 09:02 PM.

#394 oshron

oshron

Centurio

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:51 PM

its sort-of intended as a spiritual successor to AOM

#395 Asterixfan

Asterixfan

Discens

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:52 AM

The carthaginians seemed to include a bunch of different gods/deities. They had a lot of Phoenician gods though

#396 Loki1950

Loki1950

Duplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:21 AM

The carthaginians seemed to include a bunch of different gods/deities. They had a lot of Phoenician gods though

To be expected as they where a Phoenician colony ;)

Enjoy the Choice :)

my box:Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/2 G ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF9800 gt 512M fedora 20 Win 7 acer S243HL X193W

#397 oshron

oshron

Centurio

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:25 AM

the Phoenicians/Carthaginians are, indeed, planned for inclusion as part of the Semitic civilization, along with the Hebrews and the Canaanites ;)

#398 oshron

oshron

Centurio

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:50 PM

this is partly just to bump the thread in the hope of getting more input, but an idea also occurred to me recently pertaining to the Hindus. perhaps the archaic Indian caste system could be simulated with the Hindus by making each basic unit available to them more economically-specialized (e.g., perhaps infantry swordsmen could only farm) but they would be exceptionally good at that one task (aside from fighting). another is that their Major Gods could be redefined as bieng Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva; going on the "good-neutral-evil" setup for every other civilization, this means that Shiva would technically be the "evil" Hindu god and i don't like this definition, but it fits him better than the other two because he's the Destroyer in Hindu cosmology (Brahma is the Creator and Vishnu is the Preserver, to put this in context)

#399 Lion.Kanzen

Lion.Kanzen

Fallen Soldier

• Council of Modders - Leaders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:33 AM

We can Share Units. :) i think all mod can Support each to others. even with Idawin can think in Giant Baal as Cheat for Bronze Mod(Aristeia).

We have Already Egyptian Units for New Kingdom.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen, 13 April 2013 - 12:34 AM.

I love play, the game it's in goods hands. Now I can't ask for new features. The mostly of them are in Progress.

#400 Pedro Falc„o

Pedro Falc„o

Centurio

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:48 AM

We could break that 3-gods standard, Oshron, and just make a shared god-worshiping tree for them, then for those who don't have as many major gods could have more minor gods. I'd like to see Ares as a fourth Greek major god, too. Then instead of good/neutral/evil, it would be more like air/sea/dark/fierce units.

I am fond, too, of other cultures besides these mainstream AoM cultures, I'd personally love to see some mesoamerican gods/entities.

A personal comment: I don't like that stereotype of "good-neutral-evil", mostly because i think Zeus is sometimes much more evil than Hades, Prometheus fate's just an example.
Pedro Falc„o
Latin: Petrus Falco; Literally means 'Stone Hawk'.
English equivalent: ' Peter ';

Undergraduate Computer Scientist by UFCG
Shotokan Karate Adept, 3rd Kyu (Green Belt) & Muay Thai initiate