Eyecandy created by the community

Mythos_Ruler

I really, really hate to criticize the pyramids because they are awesome and beautiful, but I have two questions about them:

Were the gold caps really that proportionately big? I'm just asking, I have no clue if they were.

By 500 B.C., were the pyramids still in such good shape, with the limestone and gold caps still intact? They look awesome, and as editor-only units it doesn't matter much if they're a bit anachronistic, but if a modder wanted to use them to create a map for the game, if possible it would be best to check to make sure depicting them in good condition is historically accurate.

Again, I'm not trying to say the models aren't good, because all three rock. (y)

Edited by Aldandil
  • Like 1

Mhh, i do love the obelisk and that tower but not the pyramids, the smallest one should have bigger blocks on it's texture about the same size as the bigger one. The texture also makes them look like they're made of bricks because of the dark pixels between the blocks.

And, following Aldandil's reflection, i'm not sure that the pyramids looked that much clean, you should definitely alter the texture to make them a bit more eroded unless you're aiming for an Egyptian civilisation mod as i believe the last pyramid was built in the XVIII th dynasty (up to -1292) and rapidly abandoned because of the new politics and religion. Also, the blocs weren't perfectly crafted, they were roughly cubic and were nearly the size in height of an average man so in my opinion, those pyramids should be way much bigger !.

I'm not that good in history so i might be wrong and I know it's a game and that proportions and history exactitude aren't necessary but i still wanted to point those out ... : )

I don't personally know how large the blocks are, though it is possible that you are thinking of the structural blocks. The overlying white limestone (now almost all gone) were smaller than the structural blocks, though I think those are absolutely huge so you could be right about the limestone.

I don't know offhand when the last pyramids were built, but they were probably stopped because of looting problems, since the New Kingdom pharaohs and queens were generally buried in the hidden Valley of Kings and Valley of Queens. The Egyptians didn't change religion during the 18th dynasty, except very briefly under Akhenaton.

EDIT: The last pyramids were built in the Old Kindom or maybe, maybe small ones in the First Intermediate Period.

Edited by Aldandil

• 4 weeks later...