18 replies to this topic

#1 Radboud

Radboud

Tiro

• Community Newbie
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:33 AM

Hello everybody,

I am leader of a mod team for a mod about the Second Age of Middle Earth, this mod includes several factions including the Druedain. This is my point of interest since I have been pointed out that I should use the heraldic device for that faction created by the TLA team.

I would hereby like to ask the TLA team permission to use this image, until I get a response (most team members are inactive for over a year) I will use the material under this licence.

Cheers,

Radboud

#2 Jeru

Jeru

Factotum

• Web Development Team
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 11:56 AM

Hi, CC licenses don't work that way but I think there shouldn't be a problem.

Aviv Sharon [ aka Jeru ]

Wildfire Games 0 A.D. PR & Social Media Contributor
Contact me:
E-mail & Google Talk: aviv dot sharon at gmail dot com
MSN: lc_jerusalem at hotmail dot com
Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn

#3 chess007_phoenix_clan

chess007_phoenix_clan

Discens

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 05:03 PM

What game are you modding for?

#4 Radboud

Radboud

Tiro

• Community Newbie
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:34 AM

Hi, CC licenses don't work that way but I think there shouldn't be a problem.

Feel free to explain or to guide me on that matter, I'm too tired to check it out.

What game are you modding for?

Medieval 2 Total War - Kingdoms expansion

#5 feneur

feneur

Cartographer of imaginary worlds

• 0 A.D. Project Leader
  • 7,960 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 01:05 PM

Feel free to explain or to guide me on that matter, I'm too tired to check it out.

What he means is that you can't take someone elses property and say that now I want to use them under these conditions unless they say something else. That said, the work on TLA was done because people had a genuine interest in the world of Tolkien, so most likely they will not disapprove. I cannot speak for them though.

Erik Johansson [ aka feneur ]

Wildfire Games
Contact me: feneur@wildfiregames.com

Support Wildfire Games!

#6 Jeru

Jeru

Factotum

• Web Development Team
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:30 PM

They're not around anymore, and they agreed to forfeit their works to Wildfire Games, which is us, so I think we can just ask around the team if anyone has any particular objections. If nobody does, I think we can safely release it.

Aviv Sharon [ aka Jeru ]

Wildfire Games 0 A.D. PR & Social Media Contributor
Contact me:
E-mail & Google Talk: aviv dot sharon at gmail dot com
MSN: lc_jerusalem at hotmail dot com
Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn

#7 feneur

feneur

• 0 A.D. Project Leader
  • 7,960 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 08:35 PM

Ah, true. Forgot that part, so yeah, Radboud should be able to use the images. We really should decide on what to do with the TLA content overall though, and while we sure can just give away everything under a CC license or not it would have been nice to have the people who actually worked on TLA participate in the decision. I have been talking to one of the TLA concept artists, and she said she'd look into it, so hopefully we'll get a reply the coming days or so.

Wildfire Games

Support Wildfire Games!

#8 Aldandil

Aldandil

Triplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:58 AM

I really wish I understood better what happened to the project a bit more specifically, especially now that 0 A.D. is in Alpha. It seems hopeless that it will not be started again, but I don't really understand why. I've learned that 0 A.D. wasn't very far along and that there were some copywrite worries, but what I know isn't detailed and does not explain the end of concepting and planning.

0 A.D. looks like it will be fantastic, but TLA was the reason I came to this community and still the game I'd more wish to see and play. It's really quite a shame that it's been abandoned.

Did the devs give any notice or info on the board when they shut down the project?

Edited by Aldandil, 12 October 2010 - 04:23 AM.

#9 Radboud

Radboud

Tiro

• Community Newbie
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:19 PM

I'm sorry for not exactly complying with Copyright rules, I just want to be able to use the content with the consent of the team. So I'm looking forward to the answer of the Concept Artist.

As for this project dying, that is a shame. It happens all the time in the modding community as it's hard to keep people attracted to your project (espescially when people don't know about the quality of the material). I would have loved to have seen this project get finished.

#10 feneur

feneur

• 0 A.D. Project Leader
  • 7,960 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:38 PM

Well, the copyright issues were a very small part of the problem, the main issue was that the people who were working on TLA got too busy with real life to continue working on TLA. I guess the main reason there were no notice is that they didn't realize how serious things were until they were too serious so to speak. They simply didn't have time to write up something. It also more slowly died down than was shut down, perhaps to some extent because they didn't see it coming (or didn't want to see it and thus ignored the signs pointing in that direction).

Wildfire Games

Support Wildfire Games!

#11 Aldandil

Aldandil

Triplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:45 PM

Thanks, Feneur. That does clear things up a fair bit.

#12 Radboud

Radboud

Tiro

• Community Newbie
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:15 PM

It's really sad since the project had potential, anyway where is the concept artist at. I've seen no response yet.

#13 feneur

feneur

• 0 A.D. Project Leader
  • 7,960 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:19 PM

It's really sad since the project had potential, anyway where is the concept artist at. I've seen no response yet.

Well, there's a reason the project ended after all :ok: Hopefully she's got time to reply some time soon, but I can't guarantee anything.

Wildfire Games

Support Wildfire Games!

#14 Radboud

Radboud

Tiro

• Community Newbie
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:25 PM

Ok, I'll try to be patient. :ok:

#15 NaurwenT

NaurwenT

Digresser Extraordinaire

• WFG Retired
  • 783 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:59 AM

Hi,

Could you please let me know which content are you interested in?

Also,
Yes, the project was and still is very interesting. However, it's very difficult to get anything finished when you are just 3-4 people scattered around the world and real life gets in your way.

Edited by NaurwenT, 22 October 2010 - 10:02 AM.

TLA Linguistic & Art Departments

#16 Aldandil

Aldandil

Triplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 03:29 PM

Yeah, I know how difficult that can be just for writing a book, let alone programming a whole game. I've been there.

Still, I really hope that this project will be re-started by somebody eventually (I myself don't have any of the needed skills). 0 A.D. has been passed from one set of developers to another at least once, so if the original TLA developers can't work on it anymore it is still theoretically possible for someone else to move farward with it, with the original team's permission of course.

#17 Radboud

Radboud

Tiro

• Community Newbie
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:29 PM

@NaurwenT, I would like to use the symbol of the Druedain which the TLA team created.

@Aldandil, it seems like that will not happen since no-one is active here except us 3-4 people. I have experienced the same problem as well.

#18 NaurwenT

NaurwenT

Digresser Extraordinaire

• WFG Retired
  • 783 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:30 PM

Since you want to use the artifact for a different game altogether, and from what I've gathered about the legal status of the TLA artwork, I don't think you should be allowed to use the Druedain artifact.
:ok:

TLA Linguistic & Art Departments

#19 Radboud

Radboud

Tiro

• Community Newbie
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:34 PM

:ok: Wow, that is most unsatisfying. :) Considering that TLA will probably not be released, this is a major disappointment to me.