• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 feneur

feneur

Cartographer of imaginary worlds

• 0 A.D. Project Leader
  • 7,923 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:34 PM

I assumed things were like that, but wanted to be sure :) It can be dangerous to assume things only to later find out you were wrong :D

Edit: By the way, have either of you successfully exported an animation from Blender that worked in 0AD?

I haven't, but then again, the static model I tried to export from Blender didn't work either, so my experience shouldn't be very telling of the degree of difficulty :D

Erik Johansson [ aka feneur ]

Wildfire Games
Contact me: feneur@wildfiregames.com

Support Wildfire Games!

#22 Pureon

Pureon

Primus Pilus

• 0 A.D. Art Team
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:42 PM

I haven't, but then again, the static model I tried to export from Blender didn't work either, so my experience shouldn't be very telling of the degree of difficulty :)

The exporter didn't work on the earlier 2.5 beta versions, but either the latest 2.5 beta or the stable 2.49 work perfectly well for static models. If you want to try it again, just let me know what error messages you get in Atlas and we'll work from there :D

Pureon
0 A.D. Part time Designer / Texturer / 3D Artist
Contact email:
pureon{@}wildfiregames.com

#23 feneur

feneur

• 0 A.D. Project Leader
  • 7,923 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:52 PM

The exporter didn't work on the earlier 2.5 beta versions, but either the latest 2.5 beta or the stable 2.49 work perfectly well for static models. If you want to try it again, just let me know what error messages you get in Atlas and we'll work from there :)

Nah, don't worry about it. It was more like testing to import a plain cube (I might even have forgotten to convert the faces to triangles or something like that), so nothing of real importance. I might want to check it out some other time, but not in the close future. At that date there might even be a 0 A.D. preset to choose in the COLLADA export window :D

Wildfire Games

Support Wildfire Games!

#24 Juicyfruit

Juicyfruit

Tiro

• Community Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:54 PM

I did know. And yes there all kinds of plans to make things better. I am trying to focus my attention on the importer as far as refactoring goes. But due to exams i am time constrained and the Collada standard is huge and so are the implementation differences of everything out there that implements parts of it as far as I have seen. But till we nail the perfect implementation ™ any concrete scenario that does not work will help us to make things better.

So please do submit bugs and or contact me and I will try to help.

#25 Shield Bearer

Shield Bearer

Primus Pilus

• WFG Retired
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:22 AM

Um, yes. I did try to export an animation once...but i don't know @#$% abt animating so i probably did something wrong. It wasn't my animation somebody made a lion animation and i was trying to export it...

Amish Coelho [aka Shield Bearer aka gAMeboy]
Wildfire Games Art Department
Contact me: amish13@gmail.com
AIM handle: Mythgamer
MSN Account: amish13@live.com

"The fate of 0 AD is in the hands of those who have vision and perseverance." - Ken Wood

#26 Pureon

Pureon

Primus Pilus

• 0 A.D. Art Team
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:49 AM

Perhaps we can ask one of the Max modelers to export the animated pine tree model from Max as an OBJ, DXF or 3DS file? I've been looking at the node structure of the animated pine tree because it's a simple 3 node animation which should be easy for us to replicate within Blender.

Pureon
Contact email:

#27 Pureon

Pureon

Primus Pilus

• 0 A.D. Art Team
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:06 PM

i need download pmd2collada but the file doesn't down correctly, help

Most of our models were converted into Collada format before the Alpha 9 release, so I'm not sure why you would need pmd2collada. If it's to convert some of the very few PMD models, it's unlikely to work because the remaining PMD files are mostly animated skeletal files.

Pureon
Contact email:

#28 historic_bruno

historic_bruno

Primus Pilus

• WFG Programming Team
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:06 PM

sorry i want to test 3d modeling programs for edit some units in game and create new ones.

The old pmd2collada won't work for skeletal models which are the only PMDs left, and even with the new converter, you won't be able to import them correctly into Blender. Blender DAE import is just broken. However, if you still want to try, download the converted DAEs here :)
Ben Brian [ aka historic_bruno ]

Wildfire Games Programmer
Contact me: ben [at] wildfiregames [dot] com

#29 Pureon

Pureon

Primus Pilus

• 0 A.D. Art Team
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:30 PM

thanks i wanna try to create a buildings and units for editor just for fun
for now try to Create Antonia Fortress for Roman Faction something like Fortress type b
i confess i dont know how modeling 3d but i want to learn.

That's good, so you don't need pmd2collada - just use Blender to create your model and export to dae (collada) format which 0 A.D. uses.

Pureon
Contact email:

#30 nocompile

nocompile

a.k.a trajans_advisor

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:58 PM

Anyone know how to get a .dae import/exporter for blender 2.61? It seems to be GONE!

#31 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Senator

• WFG Retired
  • 14,967 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:05 PM

for example a want to mod Carthaginian fortress with Bender how to import the files to the app???
or if i want mod roman helmet and armor like to Gladiator Movie
Posted Image

Gonna make this helmet?

Posted Image

#32 feneur

feneur

• 0 A.D. Project Leader
  • 7,923 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:11 PM

Anyone know how to get a .dae import/exporter for blender 2.61? It seems to be GONE!

It does most definitely exist in Blender 2.62, at the top of the Import/Export dialogs. And while the importing/exporting isn't perfect I'm pretty sure it's been there in all versions released in the last couple of years at the very least.

Wildfire Games

Support Wildfire Games!

#33 Pureon

Pureon

Primus Pilus

• 0 A.D. Art Team
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:06 PM

Posted Image

Some Roman helmets modeled using Blender :)

Pureon
Contact email:

#34 MishFTW

MishFTW

Primus Pilus

• Web Development Team
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:51 AM

im not sure if use Blender or 3d max Studio. i want to learn but i need know how use these programs.

Don't freak out about the Blender UI, its all about the shortcuts (in my opinion.) Its a really good program but I never got into it. Just my 2 cents. And I've never used Max, so no opinion there.
Mish [Adarash Mishra]
Wildfire Games Webmaster
Email Me | About Me

#35 Pureon

Pureon

Primus Pilus

• 0 A.D. Art Team
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

Has anyone else noticed Blender 2.64's 3D viewer window incorrectly maps our dds textures?

After I'd spent an hour pulling my hair out trying to work out why I could no longer UV map our models, I finally worked out what the cause was. Here's a bug report about it:
http://projects.blen...etail&aid=32837

The Blender devs did it to make dds textures load faster - but unfortunately it makes Blender 2.64 unusable since we use compressed dds files on a lot of our models.

Pureon
Contact email:

#36 Enrique

Enrique

Primus Pilus

• 0 A.D. Department Leader
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

Has anyone else noticed Blender 2.64's 3D viewer window incorrectly maps our dds textures?

After I'd spent an hour pulling my hair out trying to work out why I could no longer UV map our models, I finally worked out what the cause was. Here's a bug report about it:
http://projects.blen...etail&aid=32837

The Blender devs did it to make dds textures load faster - but unfortunately it makes Blender 2.64 unusable since we use compressed dds files on a lot of our models.

You can easily fix that by mapping the textures' size to -Y coordinates:
Texture tab pannel > Mapping options > Set Y size to "-1"

The DDS textures will show correctly this way ;) (and exporting/importing works fine, no UVs are messed up)

Attached Thumbnails

• DDS fix.jpg

Enrique Keykens

Wildfire Games 3D Artist
Contact me: enrique@wildfiregames.com

#37 Pureon

Pureon

Primus Pilus

• 0 A.D. Art Team
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

You can easily fix that by mapping the textures' size to -Y coordinates:
Texture tab pannel > Mapping options > Set Y size to "-1"

The DDS textures will show correctly this way ;) (and exporting/importing works fine, no UVs are messed up)

Thanks! Did you experience the same issue?

Pureon
Contact email:

#38 Enrique

Enrique

Primus Pilus

• 0 A.D. Department Leader
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:55 PM

Yes I did.
It took me some time realize what was going on. Even after reading the release notes, I couldn't figure out what happened to the UVs until I tried switching mapping orientations.
Enrique Keykens

Wildfire Games 3D Artist
Contact me: enrique@wildfiregames.com