New Damage/armour Calculation

I saw that the calculation of damages dealt to an entity is not very transparent and armour bonuses are just given by an abstract number.

My suggestion would be to make a percentage-based damage system.

Concerning the armour, there would be basic manipulators for every damage type (e.g. Buildings: Crush 150% Pierce 10% Hack 100%) These percentages would appear when hovering over the armour-icon. (The manipulators that are 100% would not be shown, of course) In addition to that, the "classic" armour would still exist, but it would be only one number and it takes effect after the basic manipulators. The damage reduction could be something like 2% per point.

Small example: (the unit stats are not the ones from the game, but they are irrelevant for now)

A hoplite attacks a hippeus

The hoplite has a damage of 20 spear

The hippeus' armour has a 200% basic manipulator for spear damage an an armour count of 3

The basic damage dealt to the hippeus is 20 spear.

The spear manipulator says 200% --> 40 damage

3 Armour points is 3*2 = 6% reduction --> 37,6 damage --> rounded 38 damage dealt to the hippeus

Research - when it's finally implemented - could then modify either the basic manipulators or the overall armour. (Let's say iron ringmail --> +3 armour for infantry; horse armour: spear damage for cavalry reduced by 10%)

The idea comes from Armies Of Exigo, a fantasy RTS-game from 2004. In the game, the whole thing was a bit more complicated, classifying damage into hack, pierce, slash, fire, ice, lightning and all the other fantasy stuff.

I think this system is way less complicated than having to deal with three seperate types of armour and giving artificial bonuses against certain units.