15 replies to this topic

#1 Silver

Silver

Sesquiplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:09 AM

I've seen the discussions on other forums and occasionally taken part so I'm wondering does anyone else read the books and/or watch the TV show?

I have only watched the TV show but the books seem to get a lot of praise from people I know so I might pick them up.

#2 ZeZar

ZeZar

:D

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 03:06 PM

I have never read the books either, but I really really enjoyed the show. It was ... raw and entertaining. And really well made I think.
Can't wait for the next episode this sunday. Can't help really hating the queen though. Just want her to DIE! :D

There are 10 books arent there? Thats a lot of reading :)
- Øyvind M.Tjøstheim

#3 Pureon

Pureon

Primus Pilus

• 0 A.D. Art Team
  • 3,652 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:37 PM

The TV show looks very well made, however it's not on regular TV here in the UK so I won't be watching it myself. However if anyone can recommend the books I might try those out.

Pureon
0 A.D. Part time Designer / Texturer / 3D Artist
Contact email:
pureon{@}wildfiregames.com

#4 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Senator

• WFG Retired
  • 14,967 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:56 AM

#5 Spahbod

Spahbod

Triplicarius

• WFG Programming Team
  • 590 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:13 AM

I've only read the first three books. Marvelous work but hard to read for someone without an advanced knowledge of English (like me). I use a special dictionary that can find and translate words on the screen to read it.
Omid Davoodi [ aka Spahbod ]

Wildfire Games Random Map Designer, Low-level Programmer
Contact me: myops37@yahoo.com

Support Wildfire Games!

#6 Pureon

Pureon

Primus Pilus

• 0 A.D. Art Team
  • 3,652 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:12 PM

I'm half way through the second book now, after re-reading the first book and deciding to read further. Must admit, I've been trying to ignore the TV series, but I'll probably get season 1 on DVD when it's cheaper.

The reviews for Book 4 haven't been great, anyone read it?

Pureon
Contact email:

#7 L'ethu

L'ethu

Discens

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:01 PM

Great novel plus great novel, my favorite.†

#8 Pedro Falc„o

Pedro Falc„o

Centurio

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:57 PM

I've only read the first three books. Marvelous work but hard to read for someone without an advanced knowledge of English (like me). I use a special dictionary that can find and translate words on the screen to read it.

I know how you feel, i felt like that when i was 11, but i tried reading books in english (and had no option for games, since most developers released games only in english/german/polish), now i have read (in english) 13 warcraft books/pocket books/short stories, Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code, my studies' books, i watch TV series, etc.. The point is: it's very important to try and read in english to improve your skills, even though you'll only understand the book after reading it for the second or third time.
Pedro Falc„o
Latin: Petrus Falco; Literally means 'Stone Hawk'.
English equivalent: ' Peter ';

Undergraduate Computer Scientist by UFCG
Shotokan Karate Adept, 3rd Kyu (Green Belt) & Muay Thai initiate

#9 J-Dx

J-Dx

Discens

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:39 PM

I've only just read the first one and it was excellent! A very gripping read, with the author building suspense brilliantly, and has left me wanting to buy the second book. It wasn't as good as Tolkien - the history just didn't feel as rich or deep. But it is the best fantasy book I've read in a long time.

#10 Ykkrosh

Ykkrosh

Primus Pilus

• WFG Programming Team
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:51 PM

I'm half way through the second book now, after re-reading the first book and deciding to read further. Must admit, I've been trying to ignore the TV series, but I'll probably get season 1 on DVD when it's cheaper.

I read the first book then saw the TV series then read the next three* books afterwards, and I don't think that seeing the TV series detracted from the later books for me - it's very close to the book in terms of plot so it doesn't lead to confusion over inconsistencies, and the characters are mostly the same (though with a few small changes that made me evaluate the book characters slightly differently, which was probably an improvement), and I didn't mind the characters being given faces and voices (I suppose I'm generally not a very visual reader so I didn't have problems with the TV series differing from strong images in my imagination).

(* counting the split-volume book 3 as one; I haven't got to the recently-released one yet, but it looks like it's out in paperback later this week, so I guess I might as well start that soon.)

The reviews for Book 4 haven't been great, anyone read it?

Where 4 = A Feast for Crows? I think I found it quite comparable to the earlier books, so if you find them adequately enjoyable then there's no reason not to read the later ones :)

(On a similar vein, I've recently read some stuff by Joe Abercrombie, who seems to be frequently compared to GRRM, so that might be a good place to look for anyone wanting more generally-not-very-magical fantasy with generally-a-bit-nasty characters but with more humour and less amateurish book covers (at least in the UK editions).)
Philip Taylor [aka Ykkrosh]

Wildfire Games Programmer
Contact me: philip@wildfiregames.com

#11 Pureon

Pureon

Primus Pilus

• 0 A.D. Art Team
  • 3,652 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:09 AM

Where 4 = A Feast for Crows? I think I found it quite comparable to the earlier books, so if you find them adequately enjoyable then there's no reason not to read the later ones :)

Yes A Feast for Crows and A Dance With Dragons haven't received unanimously positive reviews, but as you say, I'll review them for myself :)

(On a similar vein, I've recently read some stuff by Joe Abercrombie, who seems to be frequently compared to GRRM, so that might be a good place to look for anyone wanting more generally-not-very-magical fantasy with generally-a-bit-nasty characters but with more humour and less amateurish book covers (at least in the UK editions).)

Will take a look

Pureon
Contact email:

#12 MishFTW

MishFTW

Primus Pilus

• Web Development Team
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:22 PM

I've started on the books. As for the show, its looks really tempting, but I think it can wait.
Mish [Adarash Mishra]
Wildfire Games Webmaster
Email Me | About Me

#13 MishFTW

MishFTW

Primus Pilus

• Web Development Team
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:47 AM

Loved season one, and two just started :D
Mish [Adarash Mishra]
Wildfire Games Webmaster
Email Me | About Me

#14 bstempi

bstempi

Centurio

• WFG Retired
  • 743 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:05 AM

I just started season one. Where have I been?!?!?!

Brian Stempin [ aka bstempi ]
Wildfire Games Webmaster
Contact me: bstempi@wildfiregames.com

Personal website: brianstempin.com

Support Wildfire Games!

#15 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Senator

• WFG Retired
  • 14,967 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:25 AM

I just started season one. Where have I been?!?!?!

Hold on to your hat.

#16 Pureon

Pureon

Primus Pilus

• 0 A.D. Art Team
  • 3,652 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:40 AM

What can I say:

Pureon
Contact email: