Geography Of The Iranian Plateau

Spahbod

When I saw your "Median Oasis" map, I understood that you know very little of Iranian Geography. So I started this topic to give you a clear picture.

Iran has a very diverse nature. But it is divided into 3 main branches: Deserts, Mountains and Caspian Climate. You can have better info here: http://en.wikipedia....of_Iran#Climate

Deserts: Iranian deserts are mostly rough. Although sands exist is some parts. Sands are mainly the remaining of drown rivers and lakes. They are scattered in central plateau. About 8-10 percent of the deserts are sand deserts. The rest are rough.

There is no Oasis in Iran. Only rivers that come from mountains. Lakes are usually salty and are not suitable for plants. In central areas, some salty marshes are seen.

Trees are pistachio, Taxus_baccata ,Tamarix and Pomegranate in northern parts. In southern parts (Like Karmania) palms are also seen.

In some areas, scattered shrubs are also found. They grow out of winter rains and won't last long.

rains only happen during late autumn,winter and early spring. In flat deserts, there is usually no rain.

Pictures:

Salty Rough desert.

onth4ku7pcbxqugbuad.jpg

Sand Desert. Remains of a lake.

pm3o1c8bsoch39icyp3.jpg

Desert Hills

qcphjfggfv3by372o279.jpg

With some scattered Shrubs

nyijgq5pdm0bsyc5otw.jpg

bhflk6h6wsl771n8en3.jpg

Salty Marshes

mwk4ng4w8a8q8z3lfs6t.jpg

Edited by Spahbod

Mountains:Iran is a mountainous country. They can be found in western and northern areas. Media and Persia are both in mountainous places. Although the latter is in a semi mountainous area.

It rains more in mountains. In spring and autumn, rains are usual. In winter, it snows.

In spring, a short grass covers the surface. In early summer they become yellow except near the rivers and lakes.

Trees are Oak, Populus, Platanus_orientalis and pines. Oak Forests are common in the west.

There are places that are semi mountainous. These places are dryer. And don't have that short grass.

The best biome I found for this in your archive was Mediterranean.

I strongly recommend you to delete/recreate the Median Oasis map. First of all Median Lake is a better name, and the map should have a different biome. Trees and animals must be replaced (Palms must be replaced with Oak and Why did you add Giraffes :blink:?) If you don't have time, I'll try to do it myself.

Pictures:

Winter

eaxnkxgkutaupdd9k1t.jpg

9tav6jr5fwwguuccghsn.jpg

late spring grass:

96rfahhget75tup87tc.jpg

Summer

2w6t7sz1bvco562o76s.jpg

Semi mountainous.

mnl6ip4xfnf2xqmjvxl.jpg

Early spring:

mk1wpks7offao1678q1v.jpg

m22m1192ehjdbob1vo38.jpg

Oak Forest in early spring:

4q4cum4rys9cjhetnwm.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Last week I had a trip to Mazandaran Province. It is a province with Caspian Climate. But if you go there by car from Tehran, you will cross Alborz mountains. So I could take some good pictures from both Mountains and Caspian Forests.

The images can be found Here

Some notes:

The areas with heavy forests are in Mazandaran itself. It is warm and humid there. Even warmer than Semi Mountainous Tehran.

Mountains without any plants are located in semi mountainous areas. Interesting enough that grass in mountainous areas is still green in summer. 90% of the trees are Maples.

Pine forests were located in semi mountainous areas.

That river is located just through some dry hills without any type of flora. The rivers caused a narrow strip to have a very good plant life.

Edited by Spahbod