Some quick fixes that would greatly enhance the experience...

hey guys, just some quick suggestions for your priorities regarding the next alpha. it's great how the game is getting along, but i think you could make an instant leap forward when it comes to the 'feel' of the game just by digging out a few easy old tickets... please do include them in the next alpha:

#859 (is this fixed by now? i'm not sure)

#826 (this is actually fixed but obviously the other way round would be way more comfortable, i.e.2 clicks = [all units of the same type]; 3 clicks = [same type and rank]. the first one is used way more often!!)

technically these are probably all minor issues, but they really spoil the fun because they directly affect the player's control over his units. please consider fixing them asap :)

best, android

hey guys, just some quick suggestions for your priorities regarding the next alpha. it's great how the game is getting along, but i think you could make an instant leap forward when it comes to the 'feel' of the game just by digging out a few easy old tickets... please do include them in the next alpha:

#859 (is this fixed by now? i'm not sure)

#826 (this is actually fixed but obviously the other way round would be way more comfortable, i.e.2 clicks = [all units of the same type]; 3 clicks = [same type and rank]. the first one is used way more often!!)

technically these are probably all minor issues, but they really spoil the fun because they directly affect the player's control over his units. please consider fixing them asap :)

best, android

I'm not sure how quick #593 would be, but I do know UnitAI (which contains all that logic) is a mess.

As far as #826 is concerned, it would be trivial to change, but we discussed this in some length on IRC before it was implemented. The thinking was more clicks -> a more general selection. It may not work as well in practice.

I'm not sure how quick #593 would be, but I do know UnitAI (which contains all that logic) is a mess.

Plus units should stay in formation (with corresponding bonuses) when fighting, and not "splitting up" as the ticket suggests.
As far as #826 is concerned, it would be trivial to change, but we discussed this in some length on IRC before it was implemented. The thinking was more clicks -> a more general selection. It may not work as well in practice.

(Current way) Works fine for me. Methinks team members need to playtest the game more, if only because we can then make definitive statements as to our preferences on things like this. :)

(Current way) Works fine for me. Methinks team members need to playtest the game more, if only because we can then make definitive statements as to our preferences on things like this. smile.gif

well i think even in theory it's obvious that it's more important to select all units of a type rather than all units of the same rank... in the heat of the battle you have to use different unit types to counter your enemy's units. even if the rank system will be beefed up considerably, ranks don't really matter: they improve units, but they do not change their roles. by the playtesting i did i can confirm it's unhandy.

so i think you should definitely change it but i agree insofar as that the other issues i mentioned are more urgent. you should have somebody look into them, also into this one. with these issues solved you'd definitely have AAA land combat already. best

well i think even in theory it's obvious that it's more important to select all units of a type rather than all units of the same rank...

Not necessarily, if you play the game how we are designing it. :) Ranks don't just determine battle prowess, but economic prowess as well, and there is an inverse relationship between the two. Also, you may want to either put your Basic units in front, to level them up by killing weaker opponents, or move your Elites in first to deal with tougher opponents. Basic units are also generally faster than their Elite counterparts, making them better for catching vexatious enemy units.
in the heat of the battle you have to use different unit types to counter your enemy's units. even if the rank system will be beefed up considerably, ranks don't really matter: they improve units, but they do not change their roles.
I've shown you how they do matter. Whether they matter enough to require an extra click or not, I am unsure. But before you pass judgment you need to understand the differences between ranks, and they aren't black and white. :)

• 4 weeks later...

well i think even in theory it's obvious that it's more important to select all units of a type rather than all units of the same rank... in the heat of the battle you have to use different unit types to counter your enemy's units. even if the rank system will be beefed up considerably, ranks don't really matter: they improve units, but they do not change their roles. by the playtesting i did i can confirm it's unhandy.

so i think you should definitely change it but i agree insofar as that the other issues i mentioned are more urgent. you should have somebody look into them, also into this one. with these issues solved you'd definitely have AAA land combat already. best

The ai should intelligently position my units.

Seriously, please don't accidently add a layer of micro management with this.

I want my units to optimize as much as they can on themselves.