• Please log in to reply
239 replies to this topic

#61 Jeru

Jeru

Factotum

• Web Development Team
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:47 PM

Yeah, I've been trying to get the hang of doing some videos and diagrams and explanations in this thread, but it's not an ideal place since few players will see it. Do you think these sort-of-daily progress reports would be suitable for ModDB, or would some changes to structure or style or content etc make them better? (and/or would some kind of new WFG developer blog be worthwhile for this? (Don't really want to clutter up the main news page, but ModDB seems slow at updates so maybe best not to use them exclusively.))

It will not clutter the main news page, and I can provide links on Facebook & Twitter for visibility.

Fans love these nitty-gritty updates.

Those who don't will just ignore them.

Aviv Sharon [ aka Jeru ]

Wildfire Games 0 A.D. PR & Social Media Contributor
Contact me:
E-mail & Google Talk: aviv dot sharon at gmail dot com
MSN: lc_jerusalem at hotmail dot com
Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn

#62 Arthur_D

Arthur_D

Sesquiplicarius

• Donator
  • 111 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:05 AM

Yes, we love 'em! :D

#63 fiasco

fiasco

Discens

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:35 AM

Philip you should definitely make a developers blog for the funded work. Just add a tab at the top of the forum ribbon here :)
Posted Image

#64 plumo

plumo

Centurio

• 0 A.D. Art Team
  • 974 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:14 AM

All i know is that the overgrowth videos are very very popular; because it gives noobs like me an insight into development. Even if the updates are trivial, post updates with videos or images and always refer to the possibility to support financially via pledgie. ;)

And choose a nice image for on the moddb news page to lure people into clicking on it :P
B. Guns [aka Plumo]
0 A.D. Community Liaison
Contact email: plumo@wildfiregames.com

#65 liamdawe

liamdawe

Discens

• Donator
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:06 AM

I appreciate the updates and look forward to more before I donate again to be sure It's going to really good use ;)

#66 Android_

Android_

Sesquiplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:07 PM

Ummm... now that we've all praised him for his reports he stopped writing them :P

#67 ribez

ribez

Duplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:36 PM

Ummm... now that we've all praised him for his reports he stopped writing them :P

if you love technical language ;)
http://trac.wildfire.../930#comment:10

#68 feneur

feneur

Cartographer of imaginary worlds

• 0 A.D. Project Leader
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:47 PM

if you love technical language ;)
http://trac.wildfire.../930#comment:10

In other words: the last couple of days Philip has been reviewing code other people has submitted (when he did the final work on his thesis he didn't have time to do that, so the backlog was pretty big), once he's done with that he'll continue working on writing new code :)

Erik Johansson [ aka feneur ]

Wildfire Games
Contact me: feneur@wildfiregames.com

Support Wildfire Games!

#69 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Senator

• WFG Retired
  • 14,965 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:50 PM

In other words: the last couple of days Philip has been reviewing code other people has submitted (when he did the final work on his thesis he didn't have time to do that, so the backlog was pretty big), once he's done with that he'll continue working on writing new code :)

Reviewing and implementing patches is as good as writing new code in my book. (y)

#70 ribez

ribez

Duplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:49 PM

Reviewing and implementing patches is as good as writing new code in my book. (y)

sure, and probably sometimes reviewing patches is more difficult than write new code :-)

#71 Ykkrosh

Ykkrosh

Primus Pilus

• WFG Programming Team
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:43 AM

It will not clutter the main news page, and I can provide links on Facebook & Twitter for visibility.

Fans love these nitty-gritty updates.

Okay, sounds good. Can someone help me figure out the details of what needs to be done? :) (like how/where/who/when to publish stuff, and what surrounding text/graphics/etc to use to make it look pretty while begging for money, etc)

the last couple of days Philip has been reviewing code other people has submitted (when he did the final work on his thesis he didn't have time to do that, so the backlog was pretty big), once he's done with that he'll continue working on writing new code :)

Yeah, I'd got up to about 800 unread messages from Trac (notifications of ticket comments or SVN commits which I needed to read and maybe respond to); now it's back down to 12. So now I started reviewing some of the complicated patches, and will post another progress report once I've done a day's worth of that reviewing.

probably sometimes reviewing patches is more difficult than write new code :-)

I think it is :(. To be confident that a patch will work and won't have problems that cancel out its value, I generally want to understand the area of code that's being changed (which I might not have looked at since a year ago so it takes a while to re-learn), and then understand the patch itself, and then try to work out other solutions to the same problem to be reasonably sure that the patch is a sufficiently good solution. Those are quite similar steps to when I'm writing code myself, so reviewing patches isn't hugely easier, though on average it's still good to have more people involved and providing more ideas and patches :)
Philip Taylor [aka Ykkrosh]

Wildfire Games Programmer
Contact me: philip@wildfiregames.com

#72 Jeru

Jeru

Factotum

• Web Development Team
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:25 PM

Okay, sounds good. Can someone help me figure out the details of what needs to be done? :) (like how/where/who/when to publish stuff, and what surrounding text/graphics/etc to use to make it look pretty while begging for money, etc)

Write an introductory post answering the following questions:
  • Who are you?
  • What do you do on the team? Why do you do it?
  • How is it that you're getting paid now?
  • In brief, what have you been doing so far as part of your paid work?
  • What do you intend to do with the remaining time/money?
  • Why are you asking for more money?
  • What difference does an extra month make?
  • Why is this important?

Then just start occasionally (once or twice a week) writing descriptions of features you have developed.

Try to take screenies and videos and write about those. Put a donation button at the end of each post. You're all set.

Aviv Sharon [ aka Jeru ]

Wildfire Games 0 A.D. PR & Social Media Contributor
Contact me:
E-mail & Google Talk: aviv dot sharon at gmail dot com
MSN: lc_jerusalem at hotmail dot com
Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn

#73 Android_

Android_

Sesquiplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:21 AM

Yeah but let's not make him waste too much of his time on writing stuff for us rather than doing actual programming work haha. Maybe one of your PR guys could step in and make things transparent so he only has to file some of his cool reports every now and then. Just my 2 cents though :)

Edit: Then again you're probably right in saying that some PR commitment on his part would make people more likely to continue donating.

Edited by Android GRRR, 17 November 2011 - 03:23 AM.

#74 plumo

plumo

Centurio

• 0 A.D. Art Team
  • 974 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:00 PM

Any progress lately ? ( I don't want to be rude, just informing)
B. Guns [aka Plumo]
0 A.D. Community Liaison
Contact email: plumo@wildfiregames.com

#75 fiasco

fiasco

Discens

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:38 PM

Yes, please give a progress report! (Not that we don't believe your doing work since we know your working hard, just want to see the magic your doin' :)).
Posted Image

#76 hhyloc

hhyloc

Duplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 04:44 AM

Any progress lately ? ( I don't want to be rude, just informing)

Yes, please give a progress report! (Not that we don't believe your doing work since we know your working hard, just want to see the magic your doin' :)).

Chill out guys, maybe he has been too busy lately to post a progress report here, I'm sure he is too eager to show his works to us . ;)

#77 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Senator

• WFG Retired
  • 14,965 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:09 AM

Chill out guys, maybe he has been too busy lately to post a progress report here, I'm sure he is too eager to show his works to us . ;)

He is also very very active on IRC Channel. You can interact with him every day there if you wish. ;) I know for a fact a very awesome gameplay patch is coming down the pipeline. Something big the game's been missing.

#78 JuliusColtranePille

JuliusColtranePille

Sesquiplicarius

• Donator
  • 129 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:30 AM

He is also very very active on IRC Channel. You can interact with him every day there if you wish. ;) I know for a fact a very awesome gameplay patch is coming down the pipeline. Something big the game's been missing.

goose bumps
"Jazz means Freedom."

Miles Davis

#79 gudo

gudo

Duplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:42 PM

Is it barter? (changeset 10588) Or something even more awesomerer?
Did you contribute to 0 AD?
Make sure you're in the credits!

AI Players
JuBot | RootBot | SplitBot | qBot | Marilyn | arBot

#80 feneur

feneur

Cartographer of imaginary worlds

• 0 A.D. Project Leader
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 06:52 PM

Is it barter? (changeset 10588) Or something even more awesomerer?

That's one thing :) There are a few more things which might make it as well :)

Erik Johansson [ aka feneur ]

Wildfire Games
Contact me: feneur@wildfiregames.com

Support Wildfire Games!