Random Map Script:Snowflake Searocks

Spahbod

Hi. Here is another random map script. I've always wanted to have something like this in other games. But now I made it for 0 A.D..

The map shape is like a chain of islands connected together by narrow paths. The number of islands and their scheme depends on player count and map size. The best thing to describe them is "Snowflake". So I named the map "Snowflake Searocks"

It uses the same "multiple biome" system as "Continent" random map script.

Although this is undoubtedly the most complicated random map script in the game, it's load time is about one quarter of catabarian highlands.

Resources are rare in this map and room for buildings is scarce. So it needs wise strategic decisions.

I'd rather suggest you not to play this map in "Tiny" and "Small" sizes as they will exploit the scheme. But the choice is up to you.

This map can be played in "Normal" sized maps against 3 AI bots without much lag because of it's shape. But the recommended size and ai player number for the current version of the game are "Medium" and 3 AI bots.

I'd really like to know your opinion about the map. Also please report me any bugs you found.

Thanks.

Download Link

Snowflake%20Searocks.PNG

Edited by Spahbod

Not too much a fan actually. I like more realistic looking maps.

Don't worry this one was an exception. I'm going to make more realistic maps.

But it would provide more challenge for some players.

Looks like it'd be hard, but I like it. Nice idea! :)

It probably loads quicker than Catabarian Highlands because there are fewer trees and such.

Thanks.

Maybe. But it uses the same number of trees as Catabarian Highlands. It just can't put them on the map. I think the main reason is that Catabarian Highlands has many ponds and hills which are hard to be placed. An the other hand I'm checking every single tile of this map to see if it must be part of a path or not. It is surprising that it doesn't consume so much CPU power.

• 2 weeks later...