Different modes

Devenox

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which modes do you think should be fun? (multiple answers possible)

• Regicide
    • Wonders
    • Relics
    • Hardcore

The more, the better, imho. The essencials for me (at least in RoN), are Conquest, Musical Chairs, Barbarians at the Gates and Sudden Death.

These are all of the Rise of Nations game modes:

Conquest: the only way to win is to conquer every city of every enemy player.

Musical Chairs: Each X minutes, the player with the worst total score is wiped out of the game.

Sudden Death: If you lose any city, you lose the game.

Economic: The first player whose income of all resources reaches the X value, wins the game. Not able for 0 AD

Score: Wins who first reach X total score points.

Tech Race: Wins whoever reaches the information age (the last age) first. No combats are allowed and if your unit enters enemy territory it will receive constant damage until it dies or walks back to your territory. Not able for 0 AD

Territory: The player whose territory covers X% of the map wins instantly.

Time limit: When the time expires, the player with the highest score wins (score is calculated considering wonders, % of the map within control, buildings and units alive and techs researched).

Barbarian at the Gates: X defenders against Y attackers. The defenders (usually only one) always are more powerful (start already at later ages and have a greater base/starting stock/starting income).

Assassins!: Each player is given a different target. The players receive a high damage if enter an enemy territory if not your target and absolutely no damage (no matter your techs) for entering the territory of your target. The battle goes on until only one player lives.

Classic Deathmatch: All players start with high stock of resources.

Information Age Deathmatch: All players start with a high stock of resources, at the last age and with almost all technologies researched (except for ultimate techs and nuclear bombs). Not able for 0 AD

The more, the better, imho. The essencials for me (at least in RoN), are Conquest, Musical Chairs, Barbarians at the Gates and Sudden Death.

These are all of the Rise of Nations game modes:

Conquest: the only way to win is to conquer every city of every enemy player.

Musical Chairs: Each X minutes, the player with the worst total score is wiped out of the game.

Sudden Death: If you lose any city, you lose the game.

Economic: The first player whose income of all resources reaches the X value, wins the game. Not able for 0 AD

Score: Wins who first reach X total score points.

Tech Race: Wins whoever reaches the information age (the last age) first. No combats are allowed and if your unit enters enemy territory it will receive constant damage until it dies or walks back to your territory. Not able for 0 AD

Territory: The player whose territory covers X% of the map wins instantly.

Time limit: When the time expires, the player with the highest score wins (score is calculated considering wonders, % of the map within control, buildings and units alive and techs researched).

Barbarian at the Gates: X defenders against Y attackers. The defenders (usually only one) always are more powerful (start already at later ages and have a greater base/starting stock/starting income).

Assassins!: Each player is given a different target. The players receive a high damage if enter an enemy territory if not your target and absolutely no damage (no matter your techs) for entering the territory of your target. The battle goes on until only one player lives.

Classic Deathmatch: All players start with high stock of resources.

Information Age Deathmatch: All players start with a high stock of resources, at the last age and with almost all technologies researched (except for ultimate techs and nuclear bombs). Not able for 0 AD

Not sure what you mean with "Not able for 0 A.D.". All of those should be possible, at least with some minor justification to fit the 0 A.D. gameplay concepts. The economy one would just be to have a set amount of resources gathered rather than an amount of resources gathered per unit of time (I don't remember if it's per minute or something else). The tech race and information age deathmatch could also be done, the only difference is that our "ages" are called phases (and there will not be any ultimate techs/nuclear bombs =) ).

What a nuke would be in the 0a.d Timeline? hehehe

Just wondering what kinda of Mass Destruction weapons they had... (Needs to watch more HistoryChannel :P)

An awkhardly big trebuchet? :P

I'd think most WMDs were inadvertent back then, things like people starving to death during sieges or plagues and stuff =)

What a nuke would be in the 0a.d Timeline? hehehe

Just wondering what kinda of Mass Destruction weapons they had... (Needs to watch more HistoryChannel :P)

An awkhardly big trebuchet? :P

Yeah, i think the nukes of that time were big catapults (since trebuchets did only appear around the 11th century A.D.). But the only weapons i remember of being "overpowered" such as nukes were the superguns of the ottomans, used in 1453 at the siege of Constantinople: the city was known all around the europe, north africa and middle east for its defenses, but the turkish superguns (hungarian, in truth) were the first siege weapons to actually destroy the fortifications (the others, before, did only some damage) by throwing projectiles of up to a quarter of a ton with high speed into the fortifications. The city still lasted almost 2 months. Amazing fact is that these superguns weighted about 18 tons (3-4 cars!)...

I like the regicide Idea, and it has been already discussed/planned :)

Variation on the game modes is always a good thing IMO, so I'm going to add some ideas. Here are my two cents:

- Siege mode. Two teams. Offensive team starts with a lot of manpower, not-so-many siege units and normal resources while defensive team starts fortified with buildings walls, nice strategic situation and high resources but very little manpower. Small maps with very little amount of resources, for quick matches.

I agree entirely, Regicide is already a good idea, Your Siege mode idea, sounds like a load of fun as well!

• 6 months later...

Sorry for reviving an old topic, but I believe this is a topic which should not die!

I would like to suggest some kind of "Monopoly" victory condition (not really sure how this should work though)

-Conquest (military victory)

-Monopoly (economical victory)

-Wonder (architectural victory)

-Regicide (eliminate king/emperor/pharao)

-Relics (collect objects)

-Tech Race (technological victory)

-King of the Hill (explanation below)

-Ruins (needs a different name but it should be similar to aoe1's ruins or discovery victory condition)

-Hardcore (wonder+relics+ruins+monopoly+conquest?)

Monopoly should have something to do with markets and docks, but I'm not sure exactly how this should work. Maybe 'establish and maintain x trade routes longer than y% of the map for z min?' then other players would try to sink the trade cogs, kill the trader and destroy docks and markets. Anyway I think there should be some kind of economical victory condition.

King of the Hill:

One possibility would be to place a settlement somewhere on the map on which you can construct a civ center, and if you are able to defend this building for long enough you win the game.

Another could be similar but with a fortress instead of a civ center.

Hardcore should be a lot of fun because there is sooo much you have to keep in thoughts all of the time, many strategies you can use to win, but that your enemy could also be trying to use! This should be the kind of game mode where you constantly have a few counters ticking and players making alliences to destroy a wonder, capture an artifact or take over a ruin!

Edited by idanwin

I like the idea of RTW, but "Strategos" sounds better (same concept). It will be very hard to balance with civ bonuses and such though.

Capture the flag seems more like artifacts, not? You can bring a flag back to your camp, a ruin not so.

The idea behind "capture the flag" is that you each player (or team) has a flag and scores points by taking the flag of another player (or team) to his own flag.

I kinda can see this working. Two teams of 4 players each. Every person starts with an army (maybe you can build your own types of army like 'defensive', 'ranged'?) and the point is to use a strategy to sneak to the flag, pick it up and bring it back to you flag. You can do this using various strategies and a lot of teamwork.

When the two flags meet one team scores a point. For short quick games this could be the end, but you could also play it in multiple rounds (each player gets some backup units to fill up for the lost ones and the ones that are left are healed, the flags are put back into place and you can start again).

A bit like in any fps, only you control an army instead of one soldier.

I must admit, it's a bit like 'stratego' + ruins or artifacts, but it sounds like a fun mode on itself to me!

Today I played aoe again. I was surprised at how little choice for victory conditions it had (in my memory it had more) but it was great!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How about something more random... Like a zombie mode, where you have MANY very weak units coming from almost out of nowhere, just wandering and attacking all players at will. . . When they (the zombies) kill a unit it would have a chance of becoming part of their zombie horde.

Or a similar but calling them barbarians would be fun too.

I like the idea of having an option to play without territories. That would be nice from time to time.

Edited by oddchild

I was thinking of a game mode where there would be only 2 bases (well, it could have more) and only a straight line (or not so straight) between them. On the center of the map would be a very slow-walking neutral cage of a prisoner and the two factions would struggle to have that cage returned to their base. Whenever the cage reaches a base (wether for execution or to freedom), the owner of the base wins. Of course we would have to create clever choke points and good spots for ambushes and counter-ambushes.

• 2 months later...

How about different variations of Conquest?

Building Conquest- If a player has no buildings left on the map, he/she loses (excluding walls and gates).

Team Survival- If a player is killed off entirely, than his entire team loses.

Building Conquest would be a great gametype for those who dislike searching an entire map for hidden units. Team Survival would cause players to rely on the other in order to guarantee success.

How about different variations of Conquest?

Building Conquest- If a player has no buildings left on the map, he/she loses (excluding walls and gates).

Team Survival- If a player is killed off entirely, than his entire team loses.

Building Conquest would be a great gametype for those who dislike searching an entire map for hidden units. Team Survival would cause players to rely on the other in order to guarantee success.

to add your suggestion, reveal enemy position or view enemy LOS if enemy lost all Civic Centres. like Starcraft 2 if enemy not rebuild a base they lose, except to map Nomade.