• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 MishFTW

MishFTW

Primus Pilus

• Web Development Team
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:54 AM

So Mythos_Ruler started a thread for a 10 minute challenge. Yeah so I lost that one. Big time. But I don't blame myself too much, I'm just not that rushing type of person. My strategy is building (mainly defense). So why not start a thread for you builders out there? Upload a screenshot of you best cities and mazes of dwellings.

Rules:

• Pick your favorite faction
  • Select an Oasis map
  • Set AI to "unassigned" to prevent harrasement
  • See what you can build in just 30 minutes! (F12 to show in game timer)
  • Upload your screenshots here
So what are ya waiting for? Let the building begin!
Mish [Adarash Mishra]
Wildfire Games Webmaster
Email Me | About Me

#2 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Senator

• WFG Retired
  • 14,965 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:46 AM

Best to limit it to one or two maps so it's actually a "challenge" that people can compare each other with. :) Maybe I can make a "Builders" sandbox map just for this?

#3 Kimball

Kimball

Rise of the East

• WFG Retired
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:13 AM

I had a pretty great one going, and then I accidentally dragged the window to resize it, which on a Mac, is an instant crash. :(

Rob Kimball
Scion Development Producer (Rise of the East)

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 MishFTW

MishFTW

Primus Pilus

• Web Development Team
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:10 AM

I finally got some time... and after defeating qBot about 40 minutes into the game, these were the results an hour later. The last one is the second base BTW :)
Screen shot 2012-01-18 at 5.26.11 PM.png Screen shot 2012-01-18 at 5.26.38 PM.png Screen shot 2012-01-18 at 5.26.49 PM.png Screen shot 2012-01-18 at 5.27.24 PM.png
So what do you guys think? Anyone want to make me look bad at my masonry skills?
Mish [Adarash Mishra]
Wildfire Games Webmaster
Email Me | About Me

#5 Tutle

Tutle

Discens

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:09 AM

Wish I would have seen this thread sooner. :( I am also a defense type of player.

I had a super fortress on Oasis V. qBot got so frustrated trying to take the walls down that he just decided to quit. I literally sent my archers for the 1st time to his base, and only had to deal with the scout towers. I will see if I can get another good one built and post it here.

By the way, anyone else in this thread obsessive about making city walls align perfectly? or is just me? :P

#6 Pedro Falcão

Pedro Falcão

Centurio

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:46 PM

Tutle, i'm that obsessive too. It just feels wrong when the walls are far from each other, even though i know they do protect my cities all the same.
BTW, in Rise of Nations, "builders" are called Boomers and the mythos-likes are called rushers.
Pedro Falcão
Latin: Petrus Falco; Literally means 'Stone Hawk'.
English equivalent: ' Peter ';

Undergraduate Computer Scientist by UFCG
Shotokan Karate Adept, 3rd Kyu (Green Belt) & Muay Thai initiate

#7 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Senator

• WFG Retired
  • 14,965 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:58 PM

and the mythos-likes are called rushers.

I loled.

I actually wouldn't call myself a boomer or rusher, more like a conqueror. I like to grab as much territory as I can. I've been successfully rushed by other players because of my tendency to favor expansion.

#8 Spahbod

Spahbod

Triplicarius

• WFG Programming Team
  • 588 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:15 PM

I loled.

I actually wouldn't call myself a boomer or rusher, more like a conqueror. I like to grab as much territory as I can. I've been successfully rushed by other players because of my tendency to favor expansion.

So it seems that I am exactly the opposite side of you. I only expand when I'm sure I can defend my territory. I encircle my lands with forts and towers before expanding.
Omid Davoodi [ aka Spahbod ]

Wildfire Games Random Map Designer, Low-level Programmer
Contact me: myops37@yahoo.com

Support Wildfire Games!

#9 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Senator

• WFG Retired
  • 14,965 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:54 PM

So it seems that I am exactly the opposite side of you. I only expand when I'm sure I can defend my territory. I encircle my lands with forts and towers before expanding.

You are a turtler. In the completed game, I think you will favor the Iberians.

#10 Thorfinn the Shallow Minded

Thorfinn the Shallow Minded

Triplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:49 PM

I would call myself an isolationist at best. A loser at worst.
To win, we must endeavour to be the stronger of the two at the point of impact. Our only hope of this lies in making our own choice of operations, not in waiting passively for whatever the enemy chooses for us."—Schlieffen

#11 tinoesroho

tinoesroho

Discens

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:27 PM

Nah, I'd call ya a double poster extraordinare. Jus' saying. :banana:

Myself, I'm somewhere between a turtler and a rusher.
0 AD - it amazes me ™

#12 Pedro Falcão

Pedro Falcão

Centurio

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:15 PM

In Rise of Nations i'd say i do the same, capping territory to make it harder for people to find new resources and building as many wonders as i can. But that is for RoN, in which cities are strong and can kill many soldiers and there is a constant damage for being in enemy territory (called attrition damage), so to with a small army i can repel initial rushes while keeping the major resource production at some specific and fortified cities (in RoN the resources never deplet). When the production is high and constant, i build an ocean of barracks and stables, turn the infinite soldier requeue and just keep managing the battle front. In other games expand slowly, but fortify very well each and every base so to not care about my workers, as it may drive the attention needed to win the game during the main battles.
Pedro Falcão
Latin: Petrus Falco; Literally means 'Stone Hawk'.
English equivalent: ' Peter ';

Undergraduate Computer Scientist by UFCG
Shotokan Karate Adept, 3rd Kyu (Green Belt) & Muay Thai initiate

#13 quantumstate

quantumstate

Primus Pilus

• WFG Retired
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:52 PM

I'm a boomer, I like to get my economy running as fast as possible so I can train more units and win. Mythos' strategy seems to be mainly effective due to 0 A.D. buildings being rather strong (in Alpha 8 especially before attack bonuses). He builds so much that it takes ages to do any real damage to his base, giving himself plenty of time to prepare and attack at the furthest point from your main army.

Jonathan Waller [ aka quantumstate ]

Wildfire Games Programmer
Contact me: jonathanmarkwaller at gmail dot com

Support Wildfire Games!

#14 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Senator

• WFG Retired
  • 14,965 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:00 PM

I'm a boomer, I like to get my economy running as fast as possible so I can train more units and win. Mythos' strategy seems to be mainly effective due to 0 A.D. buildings being rather strong (in Alpha 8 especially before attack bonuses). He builds so much that it takes ages to do any real damage to his base, giving himself plenty of time to prepare and attack at the furthest point from your main army.

Hopefully soon we'll have capturing so my strategies will be rendered ineffective. :(

#15 MishFTW

MishFTW

Primus Pilus

• Web Development Team
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:03 PM

As far as strategy goes, I have no problem with conquering. I just tend to defend more. Right now, I'm busy building a Carthaginian stronghold on Sphabod's new map, Anatolian Plateau.
Mish [Adarash Mishra]
Wildfire Games Webmaster
Email Me | About Me

#16 Zeta1127

Zeta1127

Duplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:24 AM

My style is very similar to your style then, I build two fortresses (so I have three available to support my offensive) and some towers for defense. When gates are functional, I will probably encircle my base with walls during the later stages. I am also a big proponent of garrisoning fortresses and towers, which is also how I play Age of Empires II and Galactic Battlegrounds.

Edited by Zeta1127, 21 January 2012 - 01:19 AM.

"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango Fett
"You are fooling yourself, Captain. Nothing here is what it seems. You are not the plucky hero, the Alliance is not an evil empire, and this is not the grand arena."
"And that's not incense." - The Operative and Inara Serra
"What you will see, if you leave the Mirror free to work, I cannot tell. For it shows things that were, and things that are, and things that yet maybe. But which it is that he sees, even the wisest cannot always tell. Do you wish to look?" - Galadriel
Clone Marshal Commander Zeta 1127 of the 89th Legion a.k.a. Zachary Skaggs

#17 CarsontheSage

CarsontheSage

Discens

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 03:46 AM

I'm building a fortress right now, but it doesn't qualify for this. How do you get Iberian walls to not have gaps?

#18 General Octavian

General Octavian

Discens

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:27 AM

I really would like to see tech tree implemented :) I will play Rome the most (hence my username) because Rome has always seemed like the coolest civ ever. Honestly, who DOESN'T want an empire lol.

#19 Zeta1127

Zeta1127

Duplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:38 AM

I really would like to see tech tree implemented :) I will play Rome the most (hence my username) because Rome has always seemed like the coolest civ ever. Honestly, who DOESN'T want an empire lol.

The Roman civilization in part one will actually be the Roman Republic, with the Roman Empire being in part 2.
"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango Fett
"You are fooling yourself, Captain. Nothing here is what it seems. You are not the plucky hero, the Alliance is not an evil empire, and this is not the grand arena."
"And that's not incense." - The Operative and Inara Serra
"What you will see, if you leave the Mirror free to work, I cannot tell. For it shows things that were, and things that are, and things that yet maybe. But which it is that he sees, even the wisest cannot always tell. Do you wish to look?" - Galadriel
Clone Marshal Commander Zeta 1127 of the 89th Legion a.k.a. Zachary Skaggs

#20 MishFTW

MishFTW

Primus Pilus

• Web Development Team
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:38 PM

I'm building a fortress right now, but it doesn't qualify for this. How do you get Iberian walls to not have gaps?

Build them one section at a time, and slide it over so there won't be gaps. This will be fixed when walls are fully implemented
In the meantime, just build and upload.
Mish [Adarash Mishra]
Wildfire Games Webmaster
Email Me | About Me