An Idea

CarsontheSage

I have been thinking, and I thought of an idea for what is basically a pause button. I know that there's already a pause button, but this one would be a bit different. The difference would be that you could give units and buildings orders while it's paused. Like in a battle, you could use it to execute complicated maneuvers. Right now it's rather annoying that the computer can multitask like crazy and you can't possibly keep up. This would help in that regard a lot. The main problem is that it detracts from the 'real-time' part of the game, so it's not particularly likely to be implemented.

• Like 1

OpenTTD is a "real-time" game that allows orders when paused, as an option. What would be even better in my opinion is an easily accessed speed control, so that in the middle of combat, the game speed could be reduced slightly to allow more thinking time, at the user's discretion of course. I consider that likely to be implemented actually.

I would like to second the planning board approach, where you can order multiple attacks at the same time.

Maybe this doesn't have to be in "pause" mode, but even in real time. I mean, the same way that I can shift+click to order multiple commands to the same unit, maybe a different key or a toggle button will enable me to select another unit (or group) to give them different multiple commands, and by pressing the "go" button, or releasing the other key - each of them will take a different path, some in front and some from behind and so on.