37 replies to this topic

#21 Thorfinn the Shallow Minded

Thorfinn the Shallow Minded

Triplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:29 AM

Oh awesome, yea I have read that before, I don't know why it didn't register. I will probably get started in the next few days. If any history buffs wants to send me some cool reference, it's somewhat hard to tell on the net what is accurate and what is fantasy.

Polybius states that this occurred when Hannibal was passing through a very rough path in order to leave the lands of the Celts and reach Etruria. The primary difficulty was that the path was in a large bog. As is said in the third book,
"Many of the horses lost their hooves by the continuous march through the mud. Hannibal himself on the sole remaining elephant got across with much difficulty and suffering, being in great pain from a severe attack of ophthalmia, which finally led to the loss of one eye as he had no time to stop and apply any treatment to it, the circumstances rendering that impossible."
To win, we must endeavour to be the stronger of the two at the point of impact. Our only hope of this lies in making our own choice of operations, not in waiting passively for whatever the enemy chooses for us."—Schlieffen

#22 JustinOperable

JustinOperable

Discens

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:26 PM

Decided to go about it like a character design just for fun. Did some costume mockups. Let me know what you guys like or suggest. Just having fun with it at the moment.

Attached Thumbnails

• Hannibal.jpg

#23 Guest_afeder_*

Guest_afeder_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:04 PM

Decided to go about it like a character design just for fun. Did some costume mockups. Let me know what you guys like or suggest. Just having fun with it at the moment.

Posted Image Looks promising!

#24 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Senator

• WFG Retired
  • 14,966 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:26 PM

The one all the way on the right looks pretty good. :) A few points: Keep in mind, all soldiers swung their swords with their right hands and held their shields on the left. Just a rule of thumb. Also, make sure to get the wolf skin on the shoulders, since it's on the actual unit in-game, and try to get that triple disc pectoral in there too. (y)

Posted Image

I like the look of the cloth over his eye. Nice touch. :)

#25 JustinOperable

JustinOperable

Discens

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:49 PM

I was trying to avoid referencing the unit art too directly since it basically means I'd be repainting that very nice reference painting you posted. I will fiddle with the pose. I also learned that triple disc breast piece was not actually carthaginian, but was found in a carthaginian tomb, and was likely of campanian make. But I can keep it if people want. There's just not much design in it if I'm painting the costume that already exists in the reference painting. But if thats what's desired.

#26 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Senator

• WFG Retired
  • 14,966 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:24 PM

You're right, the triple disc pectoral is Italic in origin, but there were many Italians and Italian mercenaries in Carthaginian armies. Such an ornamental piece could definitely have come into Hannibal's possession, likely as a gift. Anyway, that was my rationale for including it, since at the time there were no Italian units in the game to give the awesome pectoral to. :)

#27 JustinOperable

JustinOperable

Discens

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:47 PM

For sure. Alright, I'll stick to the units costuming, but I'm just gonna do a head and shoulders. Not very exciting for me to do a full body if the costume is already designed for me. I should have something to show in a couple days.

#28 gudo

gudo

Duplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:51 PM

Well, you could do a full-body version plus background (on a different layer) and make it into the cart. start screen. (We could use some more o them start screens :P) Then just redo the shoulders for the unit portrait.
Did you contribute to 0 AD?
Make sure you're in the credits!

AI Players
JuBot | RootBot | SplitBot | qBot | Marilyn | arBot

#29 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Senator

• WFG Retired
  • 14,966 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:36 AM

Well, you could do a full-body version plus background (on a different layer) and make it into the cart. start screen. (We could use some more o them start screens :P) Then just redo the shoulders for the unit portrait.

Yeah, if you want to go all out, then that would be good.

#30 JustinOperable

JustinOperable

Discens

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:47 PM

I'm not ready yet to go all out on a large illustration although I someday would love to do the Carthaginian Splash Screen. I think I'm just gonna start with a badass portrait of Hannibal and a badass portrait of Scipio Africanus so when the Second Punic War campaign is made, both will be ready.

#31 JustinOperable

JustinOperable

Discens

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:17 PM

Just so people know I'm alive. Here's a rough sketch. Not sure if I'm happy with it, I might start over, but I thought I'd post as proof of interest.

To keep myself interested I'd like to do a series of at least six portraits, one hero of each civ. If possible I'll begin with Hannibal, then move onto Scipio Africanus, Boudicca, Darius, Viratio and Alexander the Great. I think Pokemoning the civs will keep me interested and you'll get more use out of me. And by then I'll have done some research for each civ and can do more paintings for other units.

Interested to hear everyones thoughts.

Attached Thumbnails

• HannibalPortrait.jpg

#32 Pureon

Pureon

Primus Pilus

• 0 A.D. Art Team
  • 3,613 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

I think it looks great, but I'll let Mythos comment on historical accuracy etc.

I also just want to say I think your rough sketches are brilliant, you have a lot of talent - I wouldn't mind seeing the game's visual style go rougher around the edges sometimes.

Pureon
0 A.D. Part time Designer / Texturer / 3D Artist
Contact email:
pureon{@}wildfiregames.com

#33 hhyloc

hhyloc

Duplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:01 PM

IIRC, he lost his right eye because of conjunctivitis, so the eye patch should be on the right, not left.
Other than that, nice portrait :)

#34 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Senator

• WFG Retired
  • 14,966 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:28 PM

Yeah looks good. Please proceed.

#35 feneur

feneur

Cartographer of imaginary worlds

• 0 A.D. Project Leader
  • 7,826 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:07 PM

Just so people know I'm alive. Here's a rough sketch. Not sure if I'm happy with it, I might start over, but I thought I'd post as proof of interest.

To keep myself interested I'd like to do a series of at least six portraits, one hero of each civ. If possible I'll begin with Hannibal, then move onto Scipio Africanus, Boudicca, Darius, Viratio and Alexander the Great. I think Pokemoning the civs will keep me interested and you'll get more use out of me. And by then I'll have done some research for each civ and can do more paintings for other units.

Interested to hear everyones thoughts.

Apart from the fact that we already have an image in the works for Alexander I think that plan is great :) And a really cool look as well (y)

Erik Johansson [ aka feneur ]

Wildfire Games
Contact me: feneur@wildfiregames.com

Support Wildfire Games!

#36 JustinOperable

JustinOperable

Discens

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:27 PM

The patch is on the wrong side because I flip the painting during my process to see errors, so the side its on changes. It's simple enough to change back.

As for Alexander, I looked in game at the different heros and the portrait there seemed to be a model render but that may be because its so small. I'd love to have a go at it anyway to update it to the newer style of portrait that seems to be developing from the Xerxes and Cyrus and now from my future pieces. But if I would be stepping on someones toes, I understand.

#37 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Senator

• WFG Retired
  • 14,966 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:20 PM

Our other portrait artist, Lana, is doing Alexander for us, is what Erik meant. :) The Alexander portrait in the game is definitely getting replaced.

#38 feneur

feneur

Cartographer of imaginary worlds

• 0 A.D. Project Leader
  • 7,826 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:14 PM

Our other portrait artist, Lana, is doing Alexander for us, is what Erik meant. :) The Alexander portrait in the game is definitely getting replaced.

Yup, I guess I should have been more clear. But yeah, I meant that it was "in the works" in the sense of it being worked on :) So better to have you focus on other images so we can have as many as possible drawn as opposed to screenshots (though I'd say Michael has done a good job making those look good as well :) ).

Erik Johansson [ aka feneur ]

Wildfire Games
Contact me: feneur@wildfiregames.com

Support Wildfire Games!