• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#21 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Senator

• WFG Retired
  • 14,967 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

Sounds like a good excuse to implement Level of Detail in the game. Replace existing (now very high poly - by standards 5 years ago) models with low poly versions. Remove animations, and make units move around like chess pieces if needed. Use mip-mapping features, and change the defaults for shadows and water rendering.

I'm sure you guys can get it to work, and it would be an awesome platform to add to list of compatible OSs.

I want features, not Android compatibility. Posted Image IMHO, this whole Android thing is just a distraction.

#22 k776

k776

Centurio

• WFG Retired
  • 724 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:06 PM

I want features, not Android compatibility. Posted Image IMHO, this whole Android thing is just a distraction.

I couldn't agree more, esp when it's halted the development of the new path finder... :-(

Philip, please re-assess priorities:

Pathfinder affects all
Android compatability affects only a few

Kieran P [ aka k776 ]

#23 Kazu Kun

Kazu Kun

Discens

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:00 PM

Honestly, I find it pointless to even try to start for the android system.. My phone will NEVER be able to run this game due to the simple fact that phones ARE NOT MEANT TO PLAY 2-24 hour GAMES..

Just sayin..

Don't get me wrong.. being able to play this game on my phone would be AMAZING.. but i want to play it on my Computer to the games fullest compatibly before i even want to attempt to think of looking at software for my phone..

Edited by Kazu Kun, 15 February 2012 - 08:02 PM.

Reality?
No..
AnIMaTE LiFE

[system]
Spoiler

#24 Wijitmaker

Wijitmaker

0 A.D. Old Timer

• WFG Retired
  • 9,552 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:30 PM

I couldn't agree more, esp when it's halted the development of the new path finder... :-(

I respectfully disagree. 0 A.D. already is filling in a niche market as a free open source RTS (with a small number of competitors). If 0 A.D. could get on the Android it would be without comparison to any other strategy game available in that market. The Android community would eat that up, and surely run with this bringing more publicity and attention to the project - with the hope that more programmers/animators would be interested in joining as well.

Also, people who volunteer on this game tend to do what they find to be fun and enjoyable work to them. Self satisfaction is often the greatest motivator to continue contributing. Philip obviously enjoys this and seems some benefit because if he didn't - he wouldn't be doing so. Perhaps he just needs a break from tedious pathfinding coding - only Philip can say for sure.

I understand you guys have a plan and it is deviating, so that is a bit annoying - but I say, cut the guy a bit of slack ;)

I too would like to see gameplay features implemented too, but there are more programmers on the team besides Philip aren't there?

Oh, and don't just think phones - think tablets.

Jason Bishop [ aka Wijitmaker ]

0 A.D. Founder

Contact me: jason@wildfiregames.com

#25 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Senator

• WFG Retired
  • 14,967 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:53 PM

We don't even have the game working 100% on OSX yet.

Indeed, and a whole new UI control scheme, artwork, et al. This is way beyond your garden variety feature creep.

#26 Guest_afeder_*

Guest_afeder_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:10 PM

If you want Ykkrosh to only work on pathfinding, employ him under a real contract. Not giving him a contract and demanding that he work as if he had one is just disrespectful and can quickly deplete anyone's motivation to work.

#27 Pureon

Pureon

Primus Pilus

• 0 A.D. Art Team
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:12 PM

(Lets get this topic back on track guys!!)

Look here everyone, a new Roman building:

Posted Image

Pureon
0 A.D. Part time Designer / Texturer / 3D Artist
Contact email:
pureon{@}wildfiregames.com

#28 ribez

ribez

Duplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:45 PM

Posted Image

oh... lovely :victory:

it's barracks?

#29 Pureon

Pureon

Primus Pilus

• 0 A.D. Art Team
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:51 PM

oh... lovely :victory:

it's barracks?

Yes it is :)

Pureon
Contact email:

#30 ribez

ribez

Duplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:51 PM

I respectfully disagree. 0 A.D. already is filling in a niche market as a free open source RTS (with a small number of competitors). If 0 A.D. could get on the Android it would be without comparison to any other strategy game available in that market. The Android community would eat that up, and surely run with this bringing more publicity and attention to the project - with the hope that more programmers/animators would be interested in joining as well.

Also, people who volunteer on this game tend to do what they find to be fun and enjoyable work to them. Self satisfaction is often the greatest motivator to continue contributing. Philip obviously enjoys this and seems some benefit because if he didn't - he wouldn't be doing so. Perhaps he just needs a break from tedious pathfinding coding - only Philip can say for sure.

I understand you guys have a plan and it is deviating, so that is a bit annoying - but I say, cut the guy a bit of slack ;)

I too would like to see gameplay features implemented too, but there are more programmers on the team besides Philip aren't there?

i don't have any Android phone or tablet, and i would prefer pathfinding feature to Android implementation, but i agree with you: it's an open source game after all

#31 Pureon

Pureon

Primus Pilus

• 0 A.D. Art Team
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:53 PM

Here's another Roman building:

Posted Image

Pureon
Contact email:

#32 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Senator

• WFG Retired
  • 14,967 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:53 PM

If you want Ykkrosh to only work on pathfinding, employ him under a real contract. Not giving him a contract and demanding that he work as if he had one is just disrespectful and can quickly deplete anyone's motivation to work.

Philip can do whatever he wants. But with respect to you, some of us have put 100s or 1000s of hours into this game. I think we've earned the right to give our opinion.

#33 ribez

ribez

Duplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

Here's another Roman building:

Posted Image

very nice :cheers:

it's the perspective, or the porch tiles are larger than roof tiles?

#34 Enrique

Enrique

Primus Pilus

• 0 A.D. Department Leader
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

Acojonante! (spanish word for "fu***** awesome" ^_^) :)
Enrique Keykens

Wildfire Games 3D Artist
Contact me: enrique@wildfiregames.com

#35 ribez

ribez

Duplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:00 PM

Philip can do whatever he wants. But with respect to you, some of us have put 100s or 1000s of hours into this game. I think we've earned the right to give our opinion.

maybe you team guys should discuss this question internally ;)

#36 Pureon

Pureon

Primus Pilus

• 0 A.D. Art Team
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:02 PM

it's the perspective, or the porch tiles are larger than roof tiles?

Nope, that's just me being rubbish at UV mapping ;)

Pureon
Contact email:

#37 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Senator

• WFG Retired
  • 14,967 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

maybe you team guys should discuss this question internally ;)

Probably a good idea, or move the discussion to the appropriate 'Android' thread. Posted Image

#38 Guest_afeder_*

Guest_afeder_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:31 PM

What an incredibly immature outburst. If you want to start a new thread somewhere and explain what this has to do with me - please do! Maybe you should make it clearer in the forum rules that it is reserved for official team members only?

#39 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Senator

• WFG Retired
  • 14,967 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:32 PM

If you want to start a new thread somewhere and explain what this has to do with me - please do! Maybe you should make it clearer in the forum rules that it is reserved for official team members only?

I didn't say you did not have the right to your opinion. Perhaps reread what I said. As far as I could tell, you told the rest of us to sit and spin in regards to our opinion on your pet project.

#40 Guest_afeder_*

Guest_afeder_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:46 PM

I didn't say you did not have the right to your opinion. Perhaps reread what I said. As far as I could tell, you told the rest of us to sit and spin in regards to our opinion on your pet project.

Whatever. I'm out of here.