After a rough night I got further...
The story about that night can be found here
The outcome is this:
- Resources are not really implemented at all (The resources at start position are more artefacts of the previous version then inclusions of this map)
- Didn't find a way to lower the water level, so I raised all tiles - one by one - by one (Sounds strange but it's correct, I guess).
EDIT: Now I know, THX howlingflute!
- Still lags on big maps due to the number of entities.
- Takes a bit long to generate due to some self-written functions (they are not necessarily bad but can be made faster)
- Map code has to be tidied up!
NOTE: I got no 'out of memory' problems but I only made 'normal' sized maps (All maps lag on my labtop when bigger then 'medium')
Poor design/things to add or comment:
- There are too many trees in somehow unused map areas near the map border that only causes laag. Cliffs or Lakes should be added there. (Spahbod's suggestion)
- Map border is not designed at all, cliffs/lakes/terrain should be added (I wanted to ensure no chopable tree or other interactive thing is unreachable for units because it causes lags caused by AI, unit AI and/or pathfinding, gatherers pile up there) [cause, cause, cause x)]
- To many/broad roads. With many players they will nearly fill the area between start positions. Should be somehow scaled with number of players.
- Outer roads should be dragged to the border to enlarge the playable map area. 1 of the 2 roads between 2 given players should follow a 'circumventing' not a 'straight' path.
- Roads are to straight IMO. They are generated with a type of 'directed random walk'. If I raise the possible angle the next step directs too much, they might never reach there destination. On bigger maps they might stop somewhere on the map because steps are caped at 1000. (Further tests needed)
- A general hight map should be added. I would like nice, smooth hills. Raising the terrain in the map center and lowering it at the map border would suggest lakes at the border rather then hills/cliffs, but we will see...
- The forest's floor is to dense.
- The forest floor is to uniform. Some sand/dirt should be added.
- A 'forest border' should be added with bushes and longer grass surrounding the forests.
- The forest hight should be raised in a wider radius. Will be implemented with the 'forest border'.
- Terrain textures has to be chosen more wisely. I like the 'mud_slide_2' texture for road borders and bases (looks like dung ^^) but it occurs to often. Single textures of the same type tend to look squared. Have to finetune textures and perhaps rather place them on small areas then single tiles. Available textures are awesome though, great work!
- Player's start positions should be randomized more, especially the angle. Increase the angle offset will do IMO but an added absolute radius offset scaled with the squared map radius could help too (tuned for 'giant' maps which I can't test though...)
And some screenshots:
Edited by FeXoR, 04 March 2012 - 08:14 AM.