• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 MishFTW

MishFTW

Primus Pilus

• Web Development Team
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:52 PM

Keep in mind it must begin with J, and be related to the ancient world.
My suggestions:
  • Juktas (pronounced YOOK-tas) Close to ancient city of Knossos, and said to be the face of Zeus
  • Jason (and the Argonauts)
  • Juno
  • Jupiter / Jove
  • Janus (two faced Roman god of doors... technically Ianus)
And the less known ones:
  • Juturna (Roman goddess of fountains)
  • Japetus (technically Iapetus); a Titan and father to Prometheus and Epimetheus

Mish [Adarash Mishra]
Wildfire Games Webmaster
Email Me | About Me

#2 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Senator

• WFG Retired
  • 14,967 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

All of the Latin ones beginning with'J' technically begin with an "I", but that doesn't have to stop us. "Haxamanis" technically doesn't begin with an 'H' either, so we're all good. (y)

#3 wraitii

wraitii

Primus Pilus

• WFG Programming Team
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:26 PM

Getting Judas and Jesus out of the way.
Though "0 AD Alpha X Jesus" comes really close to perfection :) .
Lancelot de Ferrière le Vayer [ aka Wraitii ]
Wildfire Games Programmer, AI developer, auxiliary map designer, dealing with anything water.
Contact me: wraitii@wildfiregames.com

Also the world's only three-dimensional poodle.

#4 zaphzaph

zaphzaph

Sesquiplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:59 PM

Jhelum ( or Hydaspes). This is a battle of Alexander the Great against the Indians of Porus.
Jhelum is the name of the river front of the battle.
This battle is well-known because there was the massive fight between the macedonians phalangites and the war indian elephants.
Alexander finally won the battle using is cavalery "the companions" ans the phalangites "Pezhaiteroi".
Posted Image

#5 Comrade Temuzu

Comrade Temuzu

Tiro

• Community Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:13 PM

Jason sounds pretty good to me.

#6 oshron

oshron

Centurio

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:11 PM

i say, for the humor factor, that we should call it Jesus and include an editor-only hero unit of Jesus (no attack, but huge morale boosts and healing powers) ;)

if we want to be more serious, though, then i say either Jupiter/Jove or Janus

Edited by oshron, 18 March 2012 - 06:12 PM.

Hey! Check out the plans for my mythology mod on my site! Post input and comments in the discussion thread!

#7 Ykkrosh

Ykkrosh

Primus Pilus

• WFG Programming Team
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:39 PM

The current game design is meant to be focused on the period from 500 BC to 1 BC, so Jesus just misses out :(. (Also it's meant to be based on real history, not on largely fictional representations of people, so mystical healing powers would probably be inappropriate :P)
Philip Taylor [aka Ykkrosh]

Wildfire Games Programmer
Contact me: philip@wildfiregames.com

#8 Shield Bearer

Shield Bearer

Primus Pilus

• WFG Retired
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:47 AM

I would be strongly against Jesus, since it would injure many people's sentiments(my own included).
I would like to suggest 'Jerusalem' though as a tribute to the holy city, and include the Temple of Jerusalem as a scenario object :)

Amish Coelho [aka Shield Bearer aka gAMeboy]
Wildfire Games Art Department
Contact me: amish13@gmail.com
AIM handle: Mythgamer
MSN Account: amish13@live.com

"The fate of 0 AD is in the hands of those who have vision and perseverance." - Ken Wood

#9 oshron

oshron

Centurio

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:35 AM

i take back my earlier suggestions--both the humorous and serious ones--and would like to endorse the use of "Jerusalem" instead :D

though i still think there should be an editor-only Jesus hero unit ;)

Edited by oshron, 19 March 2012 - 08:36 AM.

Hey! Check out the plans for my mythology mod on my site! Post input and comments in the discussion thread!

#10 nyancat

nyancat

Tiro

• Community Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:18 PM

If next release will have implemented a simplified wall construction this one could be fine. Jericho: an ancient city with the strongest walls according to the Bible.

#11 wraitii

wraitii

Primus Pilus

• WFG Programming Team
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:40 PM

I'm supporting Jericho too, if a new wall system is made... Not sure about Jerusalem, it's a bit too religious for my tastes, particularly given the timeframe (no christians nor muslims back then)...
Lancelot de Ferrière le Vayer [ aka Wraitii ]
Wildfire Games Programmer, AI developer, auxiliary map designer, dealing with anything water.
Contact me: wraitii@wildfiregames.com

Also the world's only three-dimensional poodle.

#12 oshron

oshron

Centurio

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

but there WERE jews, and jerusalem DID exist at the time AND was known to many ancient peoples, including the romans and the persians, who had each come to control it at the respective heights of their power

though Jericho is another good choice. i say Jericho only if a working wall system is implemented; otherwise, Jerusalem (or Janus or Jupiter if the design team doesn't like Jerusalem; "Janus" would probably work best if there was a focus on buildings since he was the god of doorways and gates)

Edited by oshron, 19 March 2012 - 05:18 PM.

#13 Spahbod

Spahbod

Triplicarius

• WFG Programming Team
  • 590 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:25 PM

Well, we are going to pick "less known" names. Jerusalem is very well known. Why not the name of a battle in that timeframe like what we had in Alpha 7?
Omid Davoodi [ aka Spahbod ]

Wildfire Games Random Map Designer, Low-level Programmer
Contact me: myops37@yahoo.com

Support Wildfire Games!

#14 Comrade Temuzu

Comrade Temuzu

Tiro

• Community Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:51 PM

Im trying hard, but I cant think of any battles that started with a J in that timeframe. I cant remember, but what was the first updates namesake? Was it Argonauts? Because if so, Jason is pretty much out.

#15 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Senator

• WFG Retired
  • 14,967 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:21 PM

Juggernaut, Jugurtha.

#16 oshron

oshron

Centurio

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:21 PM

Well, we are going to pick "less known" names. Jerusalem is very well known. Why not the name of a battle in that timeframe like what we had in Alpha 7?

and Ides of March is less known?

#17 Zeta1127

Zeta1127

Duplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:38 PM

and Ides of March is less known?

Indeed, Edetania and Haxāmaniš are the only ones I didn't have prior knowledge of, because I am very familiar with the ancient world.
"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango Fett
"You are fooling yourself, Captain. Nothing here is what it seems. You are not the plucky hero, the Alliance is not an evil empire, and this is not the grand arena."
"And that's not incense." - The Operative and Inara Serra
"What you will see, if you leave the Mirror free to work, I cannot tell. For it shows things that were, and things that are, and things that yet maybe. But which it is that he sees, even the wisest cannot always tell. Do you wish to look?" - Galadriel
Clone Marshal Commander Zeta 1127 of the 89th Legion a.k.a. Zachary Skaggs

#18 demon_llama

demon_llama

Tiro

• Community Newbie
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:47 PM

Juggernaut, Jugurtha.

Jugurtha, would be perfect, especially considering all of the Numidian units that are in the game. He's also neither obscure nor famous.

Another Numidian possibility would by Juba II. He ends his life outside the 0 AD limit, but is a pretty interesting person.

Edited by demon_llama, 19 March 2012 - 09:48 PM.

#19 gadox13

gadox13

Discens

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:56 AM

If next release will have implemented a simplified wall construction this one could be fine. Jericho: an ancient city with the strongest walls according to the Bible.

XD

Personally i dont like 'Ides of March' ,the last alpha name.I think this had to be in latin. Only my opinion, All that matters is the game itself!!

We need to know the big new features than the team focussed and propose an perfect name.

Regards

Edited by gadox13, 20 March 2012 - 01:01 AM.

#20 memmaker650

memmaker650

Discens

• Donator
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:21 AM

I chosee Jason and the argonauts.