nocompile

a.k.a trajans_advisor

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:18 AM

Romans wooden fort seems too expensive

Costs more than stone fortress

Sure you can build it anywhere, but still it should be more of advantage, shouldn't cost THAT much

#2 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Senator

• WFG Retired
  • 14,965 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:07 AM

Improve your econ. ;)

#3 nocompile

nocompile

a.k.a trajans_advisor

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:54 AM

Why build 600wood+200metal building when I can build a 500 stone fortress just by putting a 300/300/300 civ center nearby and sucking up all the economy near wherever I'm attacking?

I'm just saying I should be less to build the wooden structure than fortresses. Right now, in game, it's close. Almost about asthetics.
This building should be a boon for the romans, so I think it should be less, or build faster than it does.

#4 Spahbod

Spahbod

Triplicarius

• WFG Programming Team
  • 588 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:26 AM

Why build 600wood+200metal building when I can build a 500 stone fortress just by putting a 300/300/300 civ center nearby and sucking up all the economy near wherever I'm attacking?

I'm just saying I should be less to build the wooden structure than fortresses. Right now, in game, it's close. Almost about asthetics.
This building should be a boon for the romans, so I think it should be less, or build faster than it does.

Because a normal fortress cannot be built in enemy territory.
Omid Davoodi [ aka Spahbod ]

Wildfire Games Random Map Designer, Low-level Programmer
Contact me: myops37@yahoo.com

Support Wildfire Games!

#5 nocompile

nocompile

a.k.a trajans_advisor

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:27 AM

Because a normal fortress cannot be built in enemy territory.

It doesn't make sense.
At all.

Why does a WOODEN fort cost more than a CASTLE????

Also why don't I just build a municipum and a castle? I can get right up to the line, build a municipum, then my line is extended, and I put a castle in their territory.

#6 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Senator

• WFG Retired
  • 14,965 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:04 AM

It doesn't make sense.
At all.

Why does a WOODEN fort cost more than a CASTLE????

Also why don't I just build a municipum and a castle? I can get right up to the line, build a municipum, then my line is extended, and I put a castle in their territory.

That wouldn't be very stealthy of you.

#7 quantumstate

quantumstate

Primus Pilus

• WFG Retired
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:09 PM

Perhaps the building time could be shortened to emphasize the idea that the purpose is to rapidly put it up as a temporary attack base without the opponent being aware. This would fit well historically since the roman legionaries were great at rapidly constructing a camp.

Jonathan Waller [ aka quantumstate ]

Wildfire Games Programmer
Contact me: jonathanmarkwaller at gmail dot com

Support Wildfire Games!

#8 FeXoR

FeXoR

Centurio

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:55 PM

1st: The army camp costs mainly wood witch is (on most maps) massively available.

2nd: The normal fortress is to cheep in my opinion
Lets calculate: 15 Upkeep, 20 garrison space and production building ~= 3 towers (125 resources each) + 3 celt huts (100 wood each) + barracks (200 resources) -> 675 resources... and I didn't took in consideration the firepower (I think > than 3 towers) and that you can produce better units.

#9 Pedro Falc„o

Pedro Falc„o

Centurio

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

It does make sense for it to be more expensive not only within the game. I don't know how much about construction you know, but i can assure you that every construction has some material losses for builders' mistakes, and even more when the builders aren't professional, but soldiers. Plus, the material of those fortresses were gathered nearby, also by soldiers (what means an almost insignificant bit more loss, but still a loss). Not saying that the builders of the common stone fortresses had to be professional, but they had people with more experience nearby to support the construction, the material was more expensive (what means they had to be more cautious about losses). Maybe it shouldn't be that expensive, but they must be expensive.
Pedro Falc„o
Latin: Petrus Falco; Literally means 'Stone Hawk'.
English equivalent: ' Peter ';

Undergraduate Computer Scientist by UFCG
Shotokan Karate Adept, 3rd Kyu (Green Belt) & Muay Thai initiate

#10 nocompile

nocompile

a.k.a trajans_advisor

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:53 PM

Roman solider were good builders. It does not make sence that it takes more in wood to build this than it takes in stone to build a castle. In life it takes MUCH more in stone (volume) to build a castle than it does to build a wooden fort structure.

Could you shorten the building time or something?

Otherwise I'm going to have to touch those files in my mod, and I'd rather keep that to a minimum.

#11 MishFTW

MishFTW

Primus Pilus

• Web Development Team
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:07 PM

Perhaps the building time could be shortened to emphasize the idea that the purpose is to rapidly put it up as a temporary attack base without the opponent being aware. This would fit well historically since the roman legionaries were great at rapidly constructing a camp.

+1
Yes, building time wasn't as fast as I expected.
Mish [Adarash Mishra]
Wildfire Games Webmaster
Email Me | About Me

#12 quantumstate

quantumstate

Primus Pilus

• WFG Retired
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:16 PM

+1
Yes, building time wasn't as fast as I expected.

Looks like Mythos agrees http://trac.wildfire...changeset/11378 . Now 400 wood and build time is just under half what it was.

Jonathan Waller [ aka quantumstate ]

Wildfire Games Programmer
Contact me: jonathanmarkwaller at gmail dot com

Support Wildfire Games!