#1 Gothic

Gothic

Discens

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:30 PM

Position: Texture Artist

Do you understand that Wildfire Games is a non-commercial project, work for 0 A.D. is volunteer, and work is done for free?
Yes

Do you agree to distribute all your work for Wildfire Games under Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike license?
Yes

Name:
Nicholas Veal
Email:
vealnicholas@gmail.com
MSN Messenger:
None=/. I have a Skype though
Availability:
5-10 hours for communication. More for texturing.
Student

Skills and Experience:
Head of Graphics Imperium Graecorum.
Helped out a couple of M&B mods
Classical OSP

Motivation:
Representing historical art in graphical form. Remaking the Classical and Late Antiquity eras.
Personality:
Quiet, patient, and caring.

Short Essay:
I found out about 0 A.D though a M&B thread about it a year ago. Ever since I have been keenly interested in this game because of its authenticity. That authenticity is what is lacking in most classical era games. Remaking the classical era and its warfare along with its warriors, equipment and legends? Hopefully I will get better at texturing as well as enjoy making this great game[/i]

Interests and Hobbies:
I mostly play games, read, and texture/model.

Staff:
No
Community:
The Total War Center and the Taleworlds forum.
Favorite Game:
Right now, it's Crusader Kings 2. My overall favorite is a tie between Neverwinter Nights and Dawn of War.

Work Examples:
I have nothing professional, but here is my work from stuff I made for the community and IG.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Sorry for the picture overload folks.

Edited by Gothic, 21 March 2012 - 02:21 PM.

Posted Image

#2 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Senator

• WFG Retired
  • 14,966 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

Hi there. Right now most of the texture work we need done would be in the areas of map terrain, flora and fauna, and GUI. Have any interest in these areas?

Kind regards.

#3 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Senator

• WFG Retired
  • 14,966 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:09 AM

We could probably also use some unit textures in the near future (we're thinking of adding lots of new units). Are you willing to try out a test project? Likely a texture for a unit or something. :)

#4 Gothic

Gothic

Discens

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:58 PM

Sure. I've never made a texture for an RTS before so I'll need time to adjust from M&B to 0 A.D anyway:).

Posted Image

#5 Gothic

Gothic

Discens

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:21 PM

Hi there. Right now most of the texture work we need done would be in the areas of map terrain, flora and fauna, and GUI. Have any interest in these areas?

Kind regards.

I am sorry for my delayed response. I am not that experienced in those areas at all but it does not hurt to learn how to do those things. I will try to learn how to do them if there is not a need for texturing troops.

this guy is amazing

Thanks, but I think I am average at best. I really could use some work learning how to model better but I have not been trying to improve my modeling skills on account of how interesting texturing is in the long run. Stuff like height maps, AO/Displacements, and poly baking makes texturing a lot more interesting than modeling to me at the moment.

Edit: Also, I might try getting my modeling/texture mentor to apply here. Since this is a open source mod, I think he will be able to make models for this game(Don't ask why he can't :D).

Edited by Gothic, 23 March 2012 - 04:24 PM.

Posted Image

#6 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Senator

• WFG Retired
  • 14,966 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:54 PM

Do you use Photoshop?

#7 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Senator

• WFG Retired
  • 14,966 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:44 PM

Here are some examples for you to go off of. What kind of soldiers are you interested in? Perhaps an Etruscan or other Italic soldier?

Attached Thumbnails

• body.png
  • mace_su1_hypaspist_2.png
  • uvw_map.png
  • uvwmap_tunic_short_b.png
  • uvwmap_tunic_short.png
  • mace_hero_alexander.png

#8 Gothic

Gothic

Discens

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:42 PM

Yea, mainly Hellenistic influenced soldiers such as the Italics. I think the only thing I've made ever that isn't Hellenic or Hellenistic is either Viking era stuff or that Agen helmet I showed you guys.

Do you use Photoshop?

Gimp. I can not buy it and I do not feel right pirating it. Also, for the modeling program, I use Wings 3D as opposed to Blender or 3dsMax. It's decent when combined with other tools.

Edit: Hmm, yeah, the texture maps look similar to the texture maps in Roma Surrectum(Rome Total War Mod). Shouldn't take too long to get used to it :). I might take a look at the .dds files in the public archive to see how helmets and all that other stuff looks.

Edit Question: How do the collada models work? What program do you use for them?

Edited by Gothic, 24 March 2012 - 04:48 PM.

Posted Image

#9 feneur

feneur

Cartographer of imaginary worlds

• 0 A.D. Project Leader
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:50 PM

Edit Question: How do the collada models work? What program do you use for them?

Most people either use 3DS Max or Blender.

Erik Johansson [ aka feneur ]

Wildfire Games
Contact me: feneur@wildfiregames.com

Support Wildfire Games!

#10 Gothic

Gothic

Discens

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:06 PM

Most people either use 3DS Max or Blender.

Hmm, can collada be converted into obj format?

Edited by Gothic, 26 March 2012 - 06:07 PM.

Posted Image

#11 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Senator

• WFG Retired
  • 14,966 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:09 PM

Collada models "work" just like any other format once it's imported. But yeah, it's easy enough to export the models to collada or OBJ or whatever file format. :)