Entity Count

swright

Right. So I'm new to 0 A.D. and love it immensely. Its a great open source game which I am quickly becoming hooked on. I can't wait to see what improvements come down the pike between now and the beta phase.

I'm the type who enjoys handcrafting maps, (though your random scripted maps are remarkable). To that end, I've started messing around in Atlas. Currently I'm working on a sort of mountain assault pitting the Celts against a Roman expeditionary force, (think Battle of Mons Graupius). Since I'm manually placing the resources, I think I've gone a bit overboard on the density of my stands of trees, or on the overall number of entities. This is due to the fact that when playtesting the match with qBot it quickly becomes unplayable due to video lag.

I was wondering, is there a utility or console function accessible from the Atlas JS console which would enable me to get an entity count? Or am I relegated to simply thinning them a bit, then playtesting, then rinse and repeat? I don't want to shortchange the player(s) on wood resources, but haven't figured out a way to analyze the map's total wood/metal/stone count in Atlas.

Of note, I use a desktop PC (Windows XP) which would perform better in the Smithsonian than on my desk, (Intel P4 1.8GHz (Single core), 1.25GB Ram, ATI Radeon HD 3650 AGP). Usually 0 A.D. runs fine with tiny to normal maps generated randomly except when the AI is attacking. During those heavy combat periods I get pretty nasty video chop, but its still playable. With this map, however, it is just not playable. I'm not 100% sure if the chop is being caused by too many entities or pathfinding issues. The map does have some rather narrow passes into the mountain which could also be creating the lag. (The AI doesn't seem to be terribly good at selecting the ideal formation and often tries to navigate those passes with a line formation, rather than a column formation).

Here's a screenshot with Passability on so you can see the walkable tiles. Thanks for any help or advice in advance.

post-14377-0-90327800-1333417172_thumb.p

I was wondering, is there a utility or console function accessible from the Atlas JS console which would enable me to get an entity count? Or am I relegated to simply thinning them a bit, then playtesting, then rinse and repeat? I don't want to shortchange the player(s) on wood resources, but haven't figured out a way to analyze the map's total wood/metal/stone count in Atlas.

Of note, I use a desktop PC (Windows XP) which would perform better in the Smithsonian than on my desk, (Intel P4 1.8GHz (Single core), 1.25GB Ram, ATI Radeon HD 3650 AGP). Usually 0 A.D. runs fine with tiny to normal maps generated randomly except when the AI is attacking. During those heavy combat periods I get pretty nasty video chop, but its still playable. With this map, however, it is just not playable. I'm not 100% sure if the chop is being caused by too many entities or pathfinding issues. The map does have some rather narrow passes into the mountain which could also be creating the lag. (The AI doesn't seem to be terribly good at selecting the ideal formation and often tries to navigate those passes with a line formation, rather than a column formation).

That is a pretty old machine you are using, I am not sure we will ever get 0 A.D. running smoothly with large maps for you. We certainly aim to improve things though.

I don't know how to get the entity count fom the atlas js console but one way you could achieve the desired effect would be to modify the AI to print this info. Try adding warn(uneval(this.entities.length)); after line 105 in /binaries/data/mods/public/simulation/ai/common-api/base.js. When you use play in simulation test this should spit lots of messages at you with the total number of entities with an AIProxy component which is basically everything that a player can interact with.