• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 plumo

plumo

Centurio

• 0 A.D. Art Team
  • 990 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:55 AM

we need bell button/ back to work. is a waste of time select individualy each civilian and see what they were doing.

I agree there ought to be a bell/back to work system.

But it is much more complex in 0 AD. In Age of Empires series there is a clear difference between civilian and military units. Maybe we need 2 different "bells", one for civilians (women), and one for soldiers who are mining/foraging/ etc...
B. Guns [aka Plumo]
0 A.D. Community Liaison
Contact email: plumo@wildfiregames.com

#22 quantumstate

quantumstate

Primus Pilus

• WFG Retired
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:10 PM

but why the soldiers, they can fight?

Because I want them to go back to doing what they did before fighting. I'm not sure exactly how that would work though.

Jonathan Waller [ aka quantumstate ]

Wildfire Games Programmer
Contact me: jonathanmarkwaller at gmail dot com

Support Wildfire Games!

#23 plumo

plumo

Centurio

• 0 A.D. Art Team
  • 990 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:33 AM

In the current system, there is no need for a bell for soldiers as they have their weapons/armour ready even when shuttling resources. So they can fight.

But if soldiers are vulnerable shuttling resources, it might be useful.

Anyway, I trust Quantumstate will come up with sth nice
B. Guns [aka Plumo]
0 A.D. Community Liaison
Contact email: plumo@wildfiregames.com

#24 FeXoR

FeXoR

Centurio

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:07 PM

Anyway, I trust Quantumstate will come up with sth nice

Agreed.

But keep in mind even if the civil soldiers have arms equipped they can die and the resources they are carrying will be lost. So returning them before fighting would be good and after fighting send them back to whatever they where doing without having to figure out what they where doing would be even better. I guess that's a part of what Quantumstate meant.

Edited by FeXoR, 20 April 2012 - 12:08 PM.

#25 wraitii

wraitii

Primus Pilus

• WFG Programming Team
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:42 PM

Perhaps when ringing the bell, soldiers would deposit their resources to the nearest dropsite, and instead of garrisoning inside, would start fighting.
I guess a variable could be used to store which entity they were working on before, so that they would return to it after the bell 'unrung'.
It'd be nice to have a list of dead units though (something along the lines of (lost 10 stone workers, lost 5 food workers...)), since otherwise the player would have to count manually.
Lancelot de Ferrière le Vayer [ aka Wraitii ]
Wildfire Games Programmer, AI developer, auxiliary map designer, dealing with anything water.
Contact me: wraitii@wildfiregames.com

Also the world's only three-dimensional poodle.

#26 FeXoR

FeXoR

Centurio

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:10 PM

Perhaps when ringing the bell, soldiers would deposit their resources to the nearest dropsite, and instead of garrisoning inside, would start fighting.
I guess a variable could be used to store which entity they were working on before, so that they would return to it after the bell 'unrung'.
It'd be nice to have a list of dead units though (something along the lines of (lost 10 stone workers, lost 5 food workers...)), since otherwise the player would have to count manually.

Yes, that's an issue. I want my AI (until now not much more than a dream ^^) to garrison if enemies are in range of the Civil Center and attack if they are not and retreat when the unit is low. But players have to do this themselves ofc.