Norton thinks 0 A.D. is a virus!

LmScar13

I'm not sure if this really counts as a bug, but Norton Antivirus' SONAR virus detection thinks that the latest pre-built SVN pryrogenesis.exe is a malicious file, and removes it when I try to run it (I do know how to ignore Norton). :D

Anyway, the reason Norton gives for removing the file is that it made an:

--Attempt to start a thread in a process address space--

Don't know if most of this is due to it being an SVN file and thus new and not downloaded often, or to my having it installed in a non-standard location (C:\0ad). If the team already knows about this, I'm sorry to have been any trouble.

I'm not sure if this really counts as a bug, but Norton Antivirus' SONAR virus detection thinks that the latest pre-built SVN pryrogenesis.exe is a malicious file, and removes it when I try to run it (I do know how to ignore Norton). :D

Don't know if most of this is due to it being an SVN file and thus new and not downloaded often, or to my having it installed in a non-standard location (C:\0ad). If the team already knows about this, I'm sorry to have been any trouble.

I have no information for you. But I wouldn't mind if 0ad has a viral impact on the RTS community :lol:

• Like 1

Avast! has starting doing the same thing, either halting the application or forcing it to start in a sandbox. You can get 4-5 popups just while compiling the game. It seems any EXE that's not popular will have this problem. I think it's counter-productive because people will start ignoring these warnings when they know the application is safe as second-nature, and potentially dangerous ones will leak through.

Is there any exception list to add files so the antivirus didn't delete it or show popups over and over?

Is there any exception list to add files so the antivirus didn't delete it or show popups over and over?

Yes, and I have it configured to ignore pyrogenesis.exe. I was just letting the team know, because I don't want anybody to be scared away by a "malicious file."

• 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest andrej

trojans and viruses may modify DLL configuration files to pose risks. If you did not intiate it blocjk it immediatly

program (0 ad simbole) download 0 ad-0.0.22- alpha win32.exe