• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Oger-Lord

Oger-Lord

Tiro

• Community Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:59 PM

Hey, I read the pathfinding work news on moddb and now I have a question about your pathfinding system.
How do you manage to recalculate the path only for the affected units when a building is constructed/destroyed?
Do you divide the map into areas and then check the area where the changes are and look which units have a pathfinding with jump points in the same area?

#2 Ykkrosh

Ykkrosh

Primus Pilus

• WFG Programming Team
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

In the old and currently-being-worked-on designs, we don't recalculate paths for units. Once they've started to move and have picked a path, they'll carry on using that path forever, unless they crash into an obstacle and have to stop and pick a new path. That's maybe not ideal behaviour, but it works okay for now :)
Philip Taylor [aka Ykkrosh]

Wildfire Games Programmer
Contact me: philip@wildfiregames.com

#3 FeXoR

FeXoR

Centurio

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:55 PM

In the old and currently-being-worked-on designs, we don't recalculate paths for units. Once they've started to move and have picked a path, they'll carry on using that path forever, unless they crash into an obstacle and have to stop and pick a new path. That's maybe not ideal behaviour, but it works okay for now :)

I think that's OK though I saw some talks about that in dev-chat already so it might be changed too :ok: