Light Style© by Fisana

Photo

Server for multiplayer game on Linux (Ubuntu)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 taras.perebeynosov@gmail.com

taras.perebeynosov@gmail.com

Tiro

• Community Newbie
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:16 AM

Hello!
There are any people using Linux in this forum?
I use Ubuntu 12.04 and I want to play with humans. But hamachi is not available for Linux.

Edited by taras.perebeynosov@gmail.com, 29 April 2012 - 10:16 AM.

#2 hhyloc

hhyloc

Duplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

I'm not a Linux user, however if I understand it correctly you can find a VPN provider/software for your Linux distribution, just search "VPN for Linux" and it will yield many useful links. Follow the instructions to set up a VPN (Virtual Private Network) and advertise it to people so they'll join your network.
A central, dedicated server incorporated into the game is a much-wished feature in my opinion, however with limited fund it's not an easy feat. I still hope that it'll come into reality someday. ;)

#3 quantumstate

quantumstate

Primus Pilus

• WFG Retired
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:20 PM

It should also be possible to directly connect with other players. To do this you need to find them first though, the #0ad irc channel is somewhere to go although there aren't that many people who play.

Jonathan Waller [ aka quantumstate ]

Wildfire Games Programmer
Contact me: jonathanmarkwaller at gmail dot com

Support Wildfire Games!

#4 Sef

Sef

Discens

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:41 PM

Whats so good about linux? why do some people have it, is it because it's free or does it have some other good features that windows/mac doesn't? i don't understand what it is.

#5 k776

k776

Centurio

• WFG Retired
  • 724 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:41 PM

Linux is open source (free to use, free to modify), it also means there are no restrictions - you're in complete control. e.g. you can recompile the core of the operating system, the Linux kernel. You can't touch Mac's or Windows Kernel (and if you did try, you'd probably kill the machine :P). Linux makes things a lot easier to develop compared to other operating systems.

See http://www.informati...comparison.html for a more detailed comparison of the different operating systems.

Kieran P [ aka k776 ]

#6 oddchild

oddchild

Discens

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:06 PM

I use linux and would be up for a game sometime.

#7 historic_bruno

historic_bruno

Primus Pilus

• WFG Programming Team
  • 2,491 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:38 AM

Just to clarify, you don't need to be using the same OS for multiplayer, they should all work together. So a Winodws player could host Linux and OS X players. Just try connecting directly with IPs - if you can set up the router/port forwarding as needed :)
Ben Brian [ aka historic_bruno ]

Wildfire Games Programmer
Contact me: ben [at] wildfiregames [dot] com

#8 fabio

fabio

Centurio

• WFG Programming Team
  • 657 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:23 AM

Whats so good about linux? why do some people have it, is it because it's free or does it have some other good features that windows/mac doesn't? i don't understand what it is.

Comparing Linux to Windows/Mac is like comparing 0 A.D. to Age of Empires, from the licensing point of view. Linux and 0 A.D. are free software (both GPL) and everyone can modify and improve them.

Edited by fabio, 17 May 2012 - 07:23 AM.

Graphics problems with 0 A.D. under Ubuntu and free drivers? Check out the Updated and Optimized Graphics Drivers Archive: includes updated drivers with fixes and improvements for games, including 0 A.D..