• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Senator

• WFG Retired
  • 14,965 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:22 PM

Metal mines can definitely benefit from the new effects too. Eventually it would be nice to get rid of the "sparkle" particles but we should make sure everyone can see the specular mapping first (currently requires GLSL).

I like the sparkle particles though. And the "specular" effects on a rock aren't as spectacular as you may be envisioning. The sun has to be at the right angle and it usually isn't.

#42 zoot

zoot

Primus Pilus

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:37 PM

I like the sparkle particles though. And the "specular" effects on a rock aren't as spectacular as you may be envisioning. The sun has to be at the right angle and it usually isn't.

The environment mapping Myconid was working might look more interesting - something like this:

Posted Image

#43 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Senator

• WFG Retired
  • 14,965 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:29 AM

The environment mapping Myconid was working might look more interesting - something like this:

Posted Image

We're talking about a speckled rock though, not a hunk of copper or iron. :) Though, actual *reflections* as in your example in the speckles on the metal mines might actually be noticeable.

#44 historic_bruno

historic_bruno

Primus Pilus

• WFG Programming Team
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:20 PM

I wouldn't call them "sparkly" though, more like fireflies rising from the mine or something. OK it makes them stand out, but it's not what we wanted originally :) Specular is probably not noticeable enough for small flecks, but what about adding a new shader effect that reuses the specular map? Something that can add an occasional glint or bling to arbitrary objects, noticeable at distance (enabled in the material of course, as an addition to specularity). It would look nice on spear tips, swords, helmets and such. Replicating that with particles would be difficult, we'd need to actually add prop points all over the different models.
Ben Brian [ aka historic_bruno ]

Wildfire Games Programmer
Contact me: ben [at] wildfiregames [dot] com

#45 zoot

zoot

Primus Pilus

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:41 PM

Probably the specularity shader could be hacked to see a light source at the camera. That should make the specular highlight always show. Then, if need be, you could add a sinus function or some such to make it show up only periodically.

#46 Gen.Kenobi

Gen.Kenobi

Centurio

• WFG Retired
  • 714 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:03 AM

And then maybe we can think about lensflares and ghosts :P

Just kidding. :) (but it would look quite cool in a future-startrekish-mod)

Back to the rocks. In case you didn't notice, yesterday I went and fixed the specular for the Temperate Rock formations that are playable on the BelgianBog map. I'm really with not very much time on my hands anymore, so the progress into "Rocking" will be really more slow, but I'll try to get them done (For Alpha 11, I think they are quite nice so far). Sorry about that guys :/
Daniel Schubert [ aka Gen.Kenobi]

Wildfire Games 3d Artist
Contact me: daniel[at]wildfiregames.com

Posted Image
Visit Revora Creative Network! : )

#47 Gen.Kenobi

Gen.Kenobi

Centurio

• WFG Retired
  • 714 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:15 AM

Now committed:

Posted Image

I really believe that I should start doing some metal mines... But, I really don't know how would they look like... Hmm... Does anybody knows good reference images?

Wildfire Games 3d Artist

Posted Image

#48 Sighvatr

Sighvatr

Triplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:54 AM

Not really. When your mining, you usually dig down and create quarries like this iron mine here.

Posted Image

I've always thought that rocks lying upon the ground in Age of Empires looked silly.

Edited by Sighvatr, 19 August 2012 - 02:55 AM.

#49 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Senator

• WFG Retired
  • 14,965 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:53 AM

There's one badlands rock variation where the large flat rock has stretched textures.

#50 Gen.Kenobi

Gen.Kenobi

Centurio

• WFG Retired
  • 714 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:04 AM

There's one badlands rock variation where the large flat rock has stretched textures.

Should be fixed... :)

Hmm... I'm not really sure about making underground mines... I think I'm going for an AoC Style... as we almost have now. I just need some references for inspiration. :P

Wildfire Games 3d Artist

Posted Image

#51 Ludo38

Ludo38

Centurio

• WFG Retired
  • 727 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:30 PM

Now committed:

Posted Image

I really believe that I should start doing some metal mines... But, I really don't know how would they look like... Hmm... Does anybody knows good reference images?

Gen.Kenobi, congratulations for your rocks ! They are very good. (I particulary love the ones in the previous pages)
However I'd like to say that on this picture, I find the finger-shape (the white rocks) exagerated, looking a bit too fantasy, too strange for 0AD. Maybe just making those "fingers" shorter would already look more realistic.
And also (but I don't see clearly on this pic), the darker ones look a bit too much like towers or piles of rocks that we don't really see in nature. Most of the time in nature, the mass is larger at the bottom than above. Arches and "tables" do exist in nature, but I believe they would look more eroded (maybe a softer texture...) or feeling a bit different..

Well, my comment comes very late in this thread (the last comment here was 21 august) so, no worries if it's too late to change those details. I just thought I should point them.

Ludovic Celle "Ludo38"
I do : layout on Inkscape, photomanip on Gimp and 3D on Blender

"I want to do good. I want the world to be better because I was here."  Will Smith
-my portfolio website-my DeviantArt -my FB -my Twitter
-my Pinterest  -my Linkedin -

#52 Gen.Kenobi

Gen.Kenobi

Centurio

• WFG Retired
  • 714 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:24 PM

Hey Ludo38!

Thanks for your feedback. However I just followed the reference that I was given a few pages back.

...Some custom and cool looking rock formations for the Desert biome, specifically for the Neareastern Badlands map. Examples:
Posted Image

As you can see they are finger-shaped :P But I'll see what I can do when i get the time, although Mythos said that they were okay... :)

Wildfire Games 3d Artist

Posted Image

#53 Mythos_Ruler

Mythos_Ruler

Senator

• WFG Retired
  • 14,965 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:00 AM

I would actually like to have some more outlandish shapes, especially for sea rocks and desert rock formations. :)

I've also been toying around in my head with the idea of adding "quarry" objects to the game like this: http://www.turbosqui...676093/r/3/i/22

Basically, the "rock formations" we have now would be the player's starting mines (and may dot the landscape every now and then), but the real sources of stone and metal on the map would come from large open-pit quarries like above. These would be less numerous and generally stick out of the sides of mountains and hills.

#54 Pedro Falc„o

Pedro Falc„o

Centurio

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

Have you had a look on Skyrim's mining spots? I don't know if they're accurate, but there are mining spots outside...
Pedro Falc„o
Latin: Petrus Falco; Literally means 'Stone Hawk'.
English equivalent: ' Peter ';

Undergraduate Computer Scientist by UFCG
Shotokan Karate Adept, 3rd Kyu (Green Belt) & Muay Thai initiate

#55 ribez

ribez

Duplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

some cool rocks
http://avaxnews.com/...ncing_Rock.html