I‘ve searched a bit(Forum, Trac), but didn‘t find much about how the wall gates should work(high level).
only found the ticket #1385
Since there doesn’t seem to be any implementation currently, I think it is the right time to think about how those gates should work on a high-level base.
There are many possibilities how they could work/what features should be there(UI buttons to control behavior and such things)
I‘ve collected some points(the list below), that might be considered when implementing the gates.
Maybe the devs could rule out some of them that are impossible/very hard to implement,
for the others I would like to initiate some sort of discussion to get the best out of this planned feature.
- should open gates magically block enemy units?
#1385 said:The open gate could just operate like the farms do where allied and enemy units could just walk right through. This seems more sensible to me then AoE/M's way of having an open gate still block out enemies as if they were vampires or something.
- UI controls: force close/force open
- should your gates auto-open/close when own units are near? maybe only when those are following a path through it
afaik in TA:Kingdoms you needed to open/close the gates by yourself, when you forgot to close them the enemy could easily invade...
- only operational when a unit is garrisoned in it?(I wouldn’t like that, someone might find it to be more realistic)
- what should happen when your and enemy units are near? should the gate let your units out to fight the enemy or should it keep closed to not let the enemy in?
maybe 2 "stances":
permissive: it opens when your units are near even when enemy units could pass the gate, maybe default
strict: stay closed when enemy is in LOS,don‘t allow your fighting units to retreat into your territory, maybe overwrites force-open
- UI controls: fine-tune what can pass the gate, "diplomacy stances"(that would include point 2):
block nothing:let everything through(basically as if the gate doesn‘t exist, force-open)
block enemy:(well, you know...)
block neutral:blocks enemy and neutral units like animals and neutral players when diplomacy is designed to allow neutral players, maybe default stance
block allies:only let your units through(prevent the allied AI from raiding your resources if you want to do such things)
block everything: force-close
- how long should it take to open/close the gate
those gates from around 0ad aren’t instant-on/off-energy-shields… they need some time to open or close, but maybe not 30minutes(definitely not)
- a global button/menu, apply the settings of the currently selected one on all gates
- when(if) pathfinding based on LOS is implemented, should enemy gates be treated as closed even when they were open the last time seen(since they wouldn’t open for you normally)
- to be continued…
Edited by luziferius, 20 June 2012 - 07:25 PM.