Sound effects Designer - Evan Bogunia

[b][size=3]Position:[/size][/b] [i] Sound Effects Designer[/i]

[b]Do you understand that Wildfire Games is a non-commercial project, work for 0 A.D. is volunteer, and work is done for free?[/b]

[i]Yes[/i]

[b]Do you agree to distribute all your work for Wildfire Games under [url="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"]Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike license[/url]?[/b]

[i]Yes[/i]

[b]Name[/b]:

[i]Evan Bogunia[/i]

[b]Email:[/b]

[i] ebogunia (at) gmail (dot) com[/i]

[b]MSN Messenger:[/b]

[i] I don't have MSN messenger, but I will get it if I need to[/i]

[b]Location:[/b]

[i]Oakland CA[/i]

[b]Availability:[/b]

[i]How many hours per week [u]on average[/u] do you think you'll have for Wildfire Games? What about 6 months from now? at least 10 now, maybe more depending on how much work needs to be done

(Optional) 26 years of age

[(Optional) I am a freelance A/V technician, composer, musician and teacher

Skills and Experience:

2 degrees in Music and Media studies (recently completed my MFA in electronic Music) and an undying love for video games, creative programming, and interactivity. I have experience designing sounds for short films, animations and video games, along with composition for a variety of situations

Motivation:

I am an artist and designer, and sound has always been the language that I am most fluent in. I feel that it is an often over-looked aspect of modern storytelling, and a well crafted sound design can propel a production to the next level.

Personality:

Intensely Creative - Always Logical. Continually Learning.

Short Essay:

I found out about wildfire games from googling OpenGL resources interestingly enough. I am an aspiring sound designer, and am looking to get involved using my sonic talents in the video game world. I am interested in not only creating the sounds but working on the implementation as well. I see this as a good opportunity to expand my skill set in both content production, and programming.

Interests and Hobbies:

I play in a folktronica band called Warbler. I love fishing, hiking, cooking and playing soccer. I am a terrible singer, and I program interactive audio/visual performance tools in MAX/MSP

Staff:

Nope, but I look forward to getting to know some people.

Community:

(Optional) What communities, websites, or forums do you frequent that relate to your interests and the gaming world? None that apply, I frequent electronic music, and music production blogs though.

Favorite Game:

What's your favorite game at the moment? What about your overall favorite?[/i] Right now, Diablo III, overall? final Fantasy VI.

[b]Work Examples:[/b]

[i]If applicable to the position you're applying to, please include a few examples of your past experience. You can check out a lot of my sounds at

, you can see some of my production work at http://evanbogunia.wordpress.com/production-portfolio/

Welcome to the forums Evan! :)

Would you be interested in recording some animal sounds for us? I know it might not be something you've done before, but perhaps it's something you'd like to challenge yourself with? We need good dog, elephant, and horse sounds - each would need idle, selection, attack, and death sounds. Apart from maybe chickens, most of our animals need sound effects.

I'm temporarily looking after the Sound Department, but you've hit me at a bad time because I'll be away from home until the end of next week.

Let us know your thoughts.

I'd love to get started working on some animal sounds. A few questions about what you are looking for-

Do you want one sound for each action? or multiple sounds that can be chosen randomly to create variation?

What exactly does idle mean?

Attack meaning when that animal is attacking? Or being attacked?

Just let me know about this and I'll get started!

Great!

Do you want one sound for each action? or multiple sounds that can be chosen randomly to create variation?

Multiple sounds that will be chosen randomly. We should be fine with 3 for idle, 3 for selection, 3 for attack, and 2 for death

What exactly does idle mean?

When the unit is just standing around or walking idly - no actions taking place.

Attack meaning when that animal is attacking? Or being attacked?

Attacking, although we could probably use the same sound for when it's being attacked

I look forward to hearing what you create for us! :)

Another thing, you mention that you have some interest in programming? The sound system is currently being reimplemented, and since it is getting close to being able to be included in the main repository for the code it would be helpful if you would be able to at least compile it and see if it runs without issues. See http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15995 :)

Another thing, you mention that you have some interest in programming? The sound system is currently being reimplemented, and since it is getting close to being able to be included in the main repository for the code it would be helpful if you would be able to at least compile it and see if it runs without issues. See http://www.wildfireg...showtopic=15995 :)

Unfortunately, swtf has forgotten to upload one of the needed files.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

haven't had a chance to compile and test the sound system yet. But I am nearing completion on the full set of horse sounds.

I was wondering what the preferred format and delivery would be? Stereo lossless wavs? mono mp3s for file size considerations? And what about naming conventions?

I planned on naming them descriptively and putting them all in a .zip and uploading to dropbox.

I will continue working on this set and hopefully have it done within the next few hours to see what you all think.

Best,

-E

I'd say that the preferred format would be lossless files (so wavs should work just fine), those files would go into the audio svn so we can change the compression settings for the files used in the game if the file size is too big, there are some compression artifacts or something else.

For naming something descriptive should work. Here are some examples and you should be able to find more in the svn audio folder (but I'm sure Pureon will be able to correct me if I'm wrong or provide you with better instructions ;-) ).

Hi Evan,

Some of the team have listened to your horse sounds and overall we're impressed with what you've created! We were in agreement that the Attack and Death sounds are perfect, we really like them, so no further work is needed on those unless you want to.

Horse_Select_04 is very good, but we feel it's too agitated to be a selection sound, but can work well as another attack sound.

We agreed that the three remaining Select sounds (01, 02, and 03) are too mechanical/robotic. These need the most improvement, especially since they will likely be the most notable in-game.

The Idle sounds are almost there, but some of us thought they were also slightly mechanical (boxy) and could be less emphatic.

If you have any questions about the feedback please let us know. Hope you take this as constructive criticism, because that's how it's intended :)

I've just listened to your new sound files and I think you've addressed all the feedback we've given very well (y) I can't hear anything else that needs to be changed, so unless someone else has any feedback on the horse sounds, I'd say lets get you started on another task.

Our elephant units currently use cavalry sounds, which is always unexpected when in-game, so would you like to work on some elephant sounds next? Same states as before: Idle, Selection, Attack, and Death

Great work!