Suggestion about picking player color

Hi guys,

I would like to have the option of choosing the color of my civilization.

I mean, firt player is blue, and second player is red by default, and you can only be violet or orange if you have 6 or 7 players in the room.

But it would be great if the player color was an option and we could choose it the same way we chose our civilization and team number.

Can you imagine spartans in black??!!!!!!

It's been suggested before and some thought it was a good idea, but we didn't make a ticket about it.

One thing to keep in mind is how player colors might interact with the minimap, some colors can be very difficult to view on certain terrains (e.g. blue that's similar to water). There are also some colors that are unavailable for various reasons, I think pure black is a no-no. So while I agree we shouldn't hardcode which player is which color, I think we should provide valid nice-looking color choices and defaults.

I agree with Mythos. We need to keep some kind of standard for minimap colours. So use the same colours that are available now.

You'll also need to make sure that when someone selects a colour, that colour disappears from the other dropdowns...

And while rare, you'll need to support the case where all colours are assigned, but two players want to switch colours (they can't just select the colour because another player has it). Maybe a blank option that everyone can select?

Pure Black is player 8 right now. ;)

I think we should stick with the current player color palette (8 colors), but allow players to choose from those. What do you think? So, no to choosing hot fuscia from a color dropper, but you can pick one of the 8-10 colors we have available.

Player 8 is just a dark grey. When I say pure black, I mean "0 0 0". I remembered slightly incorrectly though, it's pure white that is a special case, it gets removed from territory border rendering (since gaia is white - it uglified the borders when rendering both). So then, pure white "255 255 255" is a no-no ;)

I agree with the pre-defined palette, that's what I was alluding to in my last post.

You'll also need to make sure that when someone selects a colour, that colour disappears from the other dropdowns...

And while rare, you'll need to support the case where all colours are assigned, but two players want to switch colours (they can't just select the colour because another player has it). Maybe a blank option that everyone can select?

Doesn't the host have to choose all game settings currently?

Pure Black is player 8 right now. ;)

I think we should stick with the current player color palette (8 colors), but allow players to choose from those. What do you think? So, no to choosing hot fuscia from a color dropper, but you can pick one of the 8-10 colors we have available.

I agree with you Mythos. Players should choose their colors from the current palette.

On the other hand, what Bruno said about player 8 color is true. It is grey not black. So, couldn't it be a little bit darker? I mean, not a 0-0-0, but maybe something more like black.

And what about white? I know Bruno said this is gaia's color, but, are you sure guys there's nothing you can do about it.

By the way, thanks for taking in consideration the color choosing idea.

Why not make Gaia choose a colour from the colours remaining? e.g. 10 colours, 8 players, gaia uses one of the remaining 2 colours (defaulting to white if not used by someone else).

For general gameplay I think that is a really bad idea. It should always be clear what objects are gaia. For scenarios it's one thing, there it might make sense to e.g. have Gaia share the color of one of the civs if you want to do something like have the player destroy buildings that belong to a certain civ, but without alerting the player/AI. So I suggest we add a "Gaia" player to the Player settings tab in Atlas. Should be useful for the future as well if we want to make it possible for Gaia to tribute resources to the player as part of a scenario or something (that specific thing is probably left for part two with triggers, but there might be other player related settings which can be relevant to set for Gaia as well, perhaps there are some specific Gaia settings we could add here etc).

Why the name "Gaia" is used for neutral units?

Mostly for "historical" reasons (historical as in "it's been used in other games before" mostly, but also due to it's historical meaning: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia_(mythology) :) ). That it includes not only the animals/nature, but also the neutral units, is probably a result of them being seen as "belonging to nature" since they don't belong to any of the actual players. And probably also a matter of convenience since there is no need to add an additional "neutral player" for them to belong to :) (These latter thoughts are more about the general concepts, the reason why we use the name Gaia for the nature/neutral player is most the first of it being used in other games before 0 A.D. :) )

Done! The ninth color is that "Fandango" thing. That was the only color I could find that isn't mistaken as others in minimap.

Something to note: It doesn't work for scenarios because you can literally select any possible rgb color in atlas. Client multiplayer is not tested because I can't run two instances of the game so it would be nice that someone checks it.

post-12825-0-29214600-1343737811_thumb.j

gamesetup.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe the mapmaker could select "User Defined" as a color so they could select what color they wanted.

The person creating a scenario may "want" a player have a specific color.

I don't see a contradiction here. As I understand what samgj proposes - allow scenario designer to select either a specific colour or "User Defined", just like a user selects the specific civilisation or "Random" one when starting a match.

• Like 1

Hey, for the multiplayer color-fight problem: color is just on the screen...

player 1 has color 1, player 2 has color 2 etc.

Just make association player-color local for the clients and dont bother the server (hosting pc, as there is no server (yet)) with it.

Then every player gets his favorit color and can give his teammates the colors he likes.

Of course, I'm not saying that my suggestion is perfect: since i can't tell my team mate on skype "watch out for blue" anymore, if that player is red on his screen XD

summary:

How about each player choses the color each player should have on HIS screen (out of 8 standart available color, I fully agree on "NO COSTOM COLORS!") ...

Give it a though, I know it's hard work to implement it ;-)

Edited by alkazar-ipse

Be interesting if we can have a selection of different colors based off the dyes used on clothing back then. Instead of a bright red, we get a nice dark red shown on Roman clothing in movies, documentaries, and pictures. Get a blue color as seen on Ancient Britons. Get a little creative with the colors.