AO\Shader problem

LmScar13

I have the SVN version of 0 A.D. and am happy to see that a lot of myconid's improvements are being added to the game! Unfortunately, my computer has a problem with some of it.

My bug when I start a game (from interestinglog):

ERROR: Failed to compile vertex program 'shaders/arb/overlayline.vp' (line 1):

ERROR: CRenderer::EndFrame: GL errors occurred

ERROR: Failed to compile vertex program 'shaders/arb/overlayline.vp' (line 1):

ERROR: Failed to compile vertex program 'shaders/arb/solid_tex.vp' (line 1):

ERROR: Failed to compile vertex program 'shaders/arb/solid.vp' (line 1):

ERROR: Failed to compile vertex program 'shaders/arb/solid.vp' (line 1):

My system is an Acer Aspire 5755 Laptop with Intel HD Graphics 3000. This is with ARB shaders enabled. With GLSL, 0ad has only ever showed a black screen on my computer.

EDIT2: Changed AMD to Acer. IDK why I typed AMD.

Edited by LmScar13

Some of the pertinent config file variables are below:

materialmgr.quality = 10.0
gentangents = false
preferglsl = false
renderpath = default
gpuskinning = false

The rest of my config file is the SVN defaults.

There don't seem to be any graphical problems besides the errors. I don't notice any difference in the look and feel of 0 A.D. compared to before the changes.

Edited by LmScar13

As there's no indication about what the problem might be, we have to try and narrow this down a little. This is suspicious and I'm curious if it's related:

With GLSL, 0ad has only ever showed a black screen on my computer.

I know someone has already tested these changes on an Intel HD Graphics 3000 (on Mac), and they worked fine in both ARB and GLSL modes.

So first of all, do any other GLSL-based games work on your PC? Maybe look for an OpenGL test utility to ensure your configuration works correctly. This one is at the top of my Google results - I can't vouch for its quality, as I haven't tried it.

If you run 0ad in GLSL mode, are there any errors? Anything at all out of the ordinary (what happens when you move the camera)? How about in Atlas? Does the error you posted above appear in the logs in GLSL mode? Does the Fixed renderpath work for you?

Maybe look for an OpenGL test utility to ensure your configuration works correctly. This one is at the top of my Google results - I can't vouch for its quality, as I haven't tried it.

I tried this out, it said my OpenGL version is 3.1, but when I click version details, the program crashes.

If you run 0ad in GLSL mode, are there any errors?

In GLSL mode, 0ad starts, but only a blank black screen shows with the the 0ad cursor. The main menu won't even display (let alone a map). Atlas won't display the map in GLSL. No error messages actually appear in GLSL.

Does the Fixed renderpath work for you?

It works to the extent that ARB does: the game will run and be playable, but the error messages will appear.

it said my OpenGL version is 3.1, but when I click version details, the program crashes.

So we can conclude that either that is a very crappy utility or there's something wrong with your system...

Just to be sure, let's assume the former: you need to find another utility/app that tries to use or test advanced OpenGL features (such as GLSL).

I'm starting to think it might just be my drivers. One utility I downloaded said that my drivers didn't support GL_EXT_vertex_array, GL_EXT_texture_object, and GL_EXT_ARB_imaging. There is also no ICD registry entry, so the utility was unable to detect driver version, driver revision name and filename. I ran a test and the OpenGL 2.0 (shading language) test failed.

Thing is, my graphics driver is an Acer driver, not a standard Intel driver.

Hopefully it allows you to install the Intel driver, I've never had a problem with it, but sometimes it shows a scary warning about using generic drivers on customized hardware :unsure:

Yeah, that's what's been deterring me. Maybe I'll try it out though. Anyway, it's a problem with my driver, not 0 A.D., so no need to worry. ;)