16 replies to this topic

#1 greenknight32

greenknight32

Sesquiplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:18 AM

My first game with in alpha 11, played Acropolis 01 vs Aegis Bot - first scenario listed, and it sounded like a challenge, Gauls vs Persians with the new improved AI. It was not a challenge, it was way too easy.

I avoided combat with the Persians to to give me as much time to build up as possible. They never did attack; when I had 3 cities with max population and max tech I attacked and crushed them easily with my horde of troops and battering rams. Total slaughter.

I tried the same with qBot, barely held off their early attack. Tried again with Aegis Bot, but provoked them into attacking earlier - found they're quite nasty when they get going. They sent a sneak attack at the farms on the far side of my territory, surprisingly good stategy for AI. I'm impressed. Looks like it could easily get too difficult if it was very aggressive - but the way it is now, just set all your troops to a passive stance and you don't have to worry about defense until you're ready to go to war.

To confirm it works on other scenarios, tried it on Azure Coast 2. Works the same there. If one of your men so much as throws a spesr at a house, you get attacked - but keep them all passive and all is peace.

Edited by greenknight32, 15 September 2012 - 07:22 AM.

Spencer Selander
(moss-encrusted mythic warrior)

#2 luziferius

luziferius

Discens

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:39 AM

thats a nice thing that could be preserved for a defensive bot^^

#3 Pureon

Pureon

Primus Pilus

• 0 A.D. Art Team
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:12 AM

Thanks for the report. I'll take a look and see if I can replicate.

One question I do have for you, how developed was Aegis bot's base? Unfortunately there are occasions where the AIs get stuck, and very little happens after that point.

Pureon
0 A.D. Part time Designer / Texturer / 3D Artist
Contact email:
pureon{@}wildfiregames.com

#4 greenknight32

greenknight32

Sesquiplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:04 PM

Well-developed base, large population, but they didn't explore even half the map. Same in the Azure Coast game, not exploring widely.

I'll try replaying the Acropolis 01 game from from my last save, give you a more precise report on their base.
Spencer Selander

#5 wraitii

wraitii

Primus Pilus

• WFG Programming Team
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:13 PM

Acropolis could trigger some pathfinding issues because of the Acropolis setting. The AI isn't quite adapted to such situations.
Lancelot de Ferrière le Vayer [ aka Wraitii ]
Wildfire Games Programmer, AI developer, auxiliary map designer, dealing with anything water.
Contact me: wraitii@wildfiregames.com

Also the world's only three-dimensional poodle.

#6 greenknight32

greenknight32

Sesquiplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:58 AM

Seems they did get stuck - at 35:48 they had 173 units, 27 buildings, 1 civ. center, had explored 41%..At 48:47 fighting broke out, so I stopped and checked their progress - those numbers hadn't changed except they'd explored 50%.

I'm sure they had more than that in the original run-through when my army arrived, but they could have built quite a bit after the first fighting occurred - I started by putting warships in the river to stop them from crossing to gather resources, these destroyed a mill as well as killing the gatherers. It was several minutes before I sent the first wave in.

@ wraitii - I'm getting similar results on the Azure Coast map.
Spencer Selander

#7 MishFTW

MishFTW

Primus Pilus

• Web Development Team
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:54 PM

Time to exploit the AI :P
Mish [Adarash Mishra]
Wildfire Games Webmaster
Email Me | About Me

#8 greenknight32

greenknight32

Sesquiplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:41 PM

It's very easy to exploit, if it works consistently.
Spencer Selander

#9 MishFTW

MishFTW

Primus Pilus

• Web Development Team
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:15 PM

Mission accomplished. Gallic noble cavalry are quite effective, when you have 200 :P
Mish [Adarash Mishra]
Wildfire Games Webmaster
Email Me | About Me

#10 stwf

stwf

Sesquiplicarius

• WFG Retired
  • 179 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:46 AM

imho, the AI's biggest weakness is that once they start attacking a building they will not stop.

So it makes it easy for a group of 4 or 5 soldiers to take out any number of attackers, since they continue to attck the building, even when being shot by someone else. I would recommend that any unit automatically return fire. It is wrong how easy it is to defend against them!!

#11 MishFTW

MishFTW

Primus Pilus

• Web Development Team
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:59 AM

I would recommend that any unit automatically return fire. It is wrong how easy it is to defend against them!!

I can see a scenario where my units at low health are being attacked while attacking a fort. The fort has like 10 HP and my soldiers can survive two more shots. If they abandon the building and walk towards the enemy, they'll die. I don't want to have to micro manage...
Mish [Adarash Mishra]
Wildfire Games Webmaster
Email Me | About Me

#12 greenknight32

greenknight32

Sesquiplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:11 PM

Turns out they hadn't built as much as I thought. Running through it again, found they quickly built another civ center when I destroyed the first one. Destroying 1 mill with ships didn't start them building, when my land forces destroyed their only other mill, they started building and completed one before I got to their main complex.

At that time, all they had was 1 civ center, 1 Persian Palace, 1 Tower (2 more under construction), a Market, and a bunch of houses. Their gatherers acually worked right next to mine for some time before fighting broke out. When my guys started killing theirs, they started to fight back. They also started making more troops, which they hadn't been doing. Didn't send any organized attack, it stayed skirmishing between their gatherers and mine.

Once they get stuck, it takes a lot to wake them up. :bash:
Spencer Selander

#13 wraitii

wraitii

Primus Pilus

• WFG Programming Team
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:37 PM

Low level tactics have not been implemented in any AI as of yet. The best Aegis does is attacking buildings with the siege units, and units with the rest (or buildings if there are no units).
Ultimately, this is one spot where an insane amount of work could be done.
Lancelot de Ferrière le Vayer [ aka Wraitii ]
Wildfire Games Programmer, AI developer, auxiliary map designer, dealing with anything water.
Contact me: wraitii@wildfiregames.com

Also the world's only three-dimensional poodle.

#14 greenknight32

greenknight32

Sesquiplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:11 PM

Just to verify that it's when they're left alone that they get stuck, I loaded an earlier save from when they were still building, sent a horseman to attack one of their men. It was like kicking over a hornet's nest. They came swarming at me, and immediately built another civ center across the river where I was going to build.
Spencer Selander

#15 Thorfinn the Shallow Minded

Thorfinn the Shallow Minded

Triplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:18 PM

Perhaps you should play on really small maps. They are a lot more offensive then.
To win, we must endeavour to be the stronger of the two at the point of impact. Our only hope of this lies in making our own choice of operations, not in waiting passively for whatever the enemy chooses for us."—Schlieffen

#16 greenknight32

greenknight32

Sesquiplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:52 AM

Perhaps you should play on really small maps. They are a lot more offensive then.

Maybe I'll try that next - but it might be just because you tend to make contact sooner on a small map.

Trying to finish testing this on Azure Coast 2, it's hard because the lag is getting very bad. Anyway, Aegis Bot is still building and making troops there, but not attacking. They're taking a lot of losses even though I haven't killed any of them, I guess the wolves are getting them.

I think I'll have to attack before I max out my troop numbers to stop the lag from getting worse.
Spencer Selander

#17 greenknight32

greenknight32

Sesquiplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:15 AM

Thorfinn, you may be right. I tried Fast Oasis, and Death Canyon 2 and 3, against Aegis Bot. I barely had time to get ready before I was attacked, just the way it should be.

Gave up trying to finish Azure Coast 2, the lag is just hideous. Think I'll stick to 2-player scenarios until that's fixed.

Edited by greenknight32, 23 September 2012 - 11:18 AM.

Spencer Selander