running 0ad in root

n3tw0

If you don't have a good reason for this (and I can't think of one), and you don't know how to do this on your own:

No, there is no way.

EDIT: I thought Ubuntu got rid of the root user completely (meaning you can only be talking about running the game with sudo or running it after sudo su).

guys thanks for your reply I really appreciated your responces

BUT Ive already done it !!! I change the uuid of the user with vi .. its running in root now ** EDIT sorry I mean't I changed the uuid in /usr/games/pyrogenesis not the acutally root account as 1000

lol as that would be a user accout and be a contradiction in what I wanted to do

and you don't know how to do this on your own:

No, there is no way.

EDIT: I thought Ubuntu got rid of the root user completely (meaning you can only be talking about running the game with sudo or running it after sudo su).

* ) if you dont know how to do this on your own this is no way .. isnt that a bit of contradiction ??? :lol2: surely if there is no way no matter whether I know or not .. it cant be done But that is a stupid thing to say

as there is always a way around something

* ) I thought Ubuntu got rid of the root user completely ?? no you can still use and create a root user account even in the latest release ... they cant get rid of root user lol while they did some oscuratey to try prevent people to stop them using it .. its is easy to create and use root account

but thanks for your input leper its much appreciated

Edited by n3tw0

Reasons against using root:

Could accidentally destroy system files { if you dont know what your doing }

Could get an infection { backup system daily as the same for a user acccount just because you have a user account doesnt mean your bullet proof }

if your system get infected you need to clean it and if its damaged you might have to reinstall it from a back up i.e 20 mins work

Reasons FOR using root:

Access to everything,

more control easier to mange and organize { I prefer to work at ground level }

some programs need to run as root even using a root terminal in the user account there is still some limititations as a non root user

A non-root account could still fall victim of those reasons against using root, the most it adds is a confirmation for your actions. I think that as long as you know what you're doing, you're perfectly safe using root. There, I said it. WHILE SOME MAY ARGUE THAT its easier to get a virus this is not true if you know how to set up root and secure it......... its same thing as using a user account WAIT doesnt that sound wrong ??? what if your root account gets infected .. the main aim of a virus is to get root so having a user account doesnt mean that your safe

whether you use a root account or user account you should always check the md5 , filesize of everyfiles you dowload or accept through irc,skype etc etc and scan every file with an antivirus kaspersky for linux is a good antivirus that being said you must aways backup everyday

Edited by n3tw0

Reasons FOR using root:

Access to everything,

more control easier to mange and organize { I prefer to work at ground level }

some programs need to run as root even using a root terminal in the user account there is still some limititations as a non root user

Access to everything for every program... So you trust every program not to have any bugs that could damage your system?

Well more control sure, but one of the reasons for different users is to control who can access what. If a faulty program (read it has a bug) wreaks havoc to your system, which could have been prevented by not giving it more rights than needed, is that a good thing?

Yes, some programs need to run as root because they do things that need more rights than a normal user should have. That does not mean that every program needs those rights.

I have yet to see a program that requires elevated rights that does not work properly if run after a 'sudo su'. I'm not opposed to having a root account, but using that for everything isn't what I would call good practice.

A non-root account could still fall victim of those reasons against using root, the most it adds is a confirmation for your actions. I think that as long as you know what you're doing, you're perfectly safe using root. There, I said it. WHILE SOME MAY ARGUE THAT its easier to get a virus this is not true if you know how to set up root and secure it......... its same thing as using a user account WAIT doesnt that sound wrong ??? what if your root account gets infected .. the main aim of a virus is to get root so having a user account doesnt mean that your safe

whether you use a root account or user account you should always check the md5 , filesize of everyfiles you dowload or accept through irc,skype etc etc and scan every file with an antivirus kaspersky for linux is a good antivirus that being said you must aways backup everyday

Backups are a measure to get back to a working case if something goes wrong. That doesn't mean that you should consider restoring from backups regularly as normal.

Name an action 0 A.D. would be able to take as root that it can not as non-root - other than bad things like getting hacked?

so as I just explained so with a user account you cant get hacked ??? serioulsy ??

in order to get hacked you must either accept a file and run it either way you have decided to run it so root non root your hacked unless you scan it ..disect it and check it for any hidden exploit i.e obscurity like a backdoor in jpeg you must always test jpegs strip them and examine the metadata and that goes for all file TYPES

It very easy to hide a backdoor in a jpeg and send you an inoccent looking jpeg .. you will look at it and never think anything other than its a jpeg the open a shell and im in your system .. game over !!

there is many ways to be exploit though java,cookies etc etc .. and there is also many ways to circumvent them

zoot I wasnt talking about 0ad spefically just forget it .. listen you stick what you know and ill stick to what I know

Guys listen I sorted it No need for a flame war just forget it ................... thanks for your responces anyway

for those who use root everyday well and good .. thoose who dont know how to handle a root account and protect it that your beef not mine !!!! maybe the power is too much for you :lol2:

Backups are a measure to get back to a working case if something goes wrong. That doesn't mean that you should consider restoring from backups regularly as normal.

I dont restore backups regularly ??? and havent needed to .. remeber .. if you know what your doing this is just a what if senario .. same as a non root user

anyone that doesnt make a backup of there work i.e there system daily is silly as root non root @#$% happens and its such a simple task to preform a backup that not doing it is very foolish

AGAIN leper thanks for you input but lets put this to bed

YOU DONT want TO use root fine YOU WANT to use fine { as long as you know what your doing root is as safe as a user account }

thanks all for you input but the subjuect is gone off topic and starting into a flame ware

Ive used root for as long as I cant remeber and my system has never been breached END OF STORY I dont why the big deal is Im not posting telling people to use root

Guys just forget it AGAIN I sorted it and I use root big deal Dont throw all your toys out of the pram

since the dawn of day the root vs non root arguement has been going on and will continue to go on .. secure not secure ..should you use it should you not ....

just becuase sudo wont allow a file to be run unless given your authorization doesnt mean you cant get hacked .. you click a file that you unsure of and let it run and you didnt scan it nor check it and its a virus then its GAME OVER!!! root or non root you are not bullet proof ...

LAST point yes if you are unsure you can bork your system and its very easy to do that is were a user-account is maybe one up as you can just create a new account with out it deleteing and main system files but REMEBER again if you know what your doing and you do backups this will never happen to you and as far as programs ruining and borking your system

this can happen but this has never happend to me and Ive install used many hundereds of programs and software I do have a user account But I just never use it I prefer to use root

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE for your input and words of wisdom :) lets agree to disaggree

Edited by n3tw0