Some questions about creating 0 a.d. custom 3d models

gogot

First I would like to say hi to all of you. I'm new member of the forum. I'm interested in moding 0 a.d. since I have great expiriance with modding games like Rome: Total war, Medieval II: Total war, some 2d games like Knights of honor and other...

I red most of the topics about modding the game and I have some questions that I still cant find answers of.

The first and most interesting to me is about the bones of the 3d models. Because in Total war games there is a "sceleton" with bones and you can get the bones from a CA's original model and export it, then you can create you own 3d model of a unit and attach its parts to different bones of the sceleton you had exported earlyer from the original game. From wahat I understand in 0 a.d. there is no such "sceleton" with bones? If there are no bones how does the engine knows what part of the model is left arm, or right foot... ? I really hope I got it wring, because it looks a bit strange that way.

Second question is where can I find the game files on Ubuntu?

Third question: are there any base models for 0 a.d. . I mean base model of a unit, ready to be imported in the game /eaven without texture, i just want to see the 3d model and how it looks like/

Cheers

Hello gogot! welcome to the forums!

Bones:

0AD uses meshes with skeletons. The problem is, that the collada exporter on the main 3D software used by the team (Blender) is not working very well with the armatures/skeletons/bones. When imported into blender, they're messy, off centered and unable to modify the current animations. And we made some efforts to replicate the original skeleton used for the in-game animations in blender and export animations and we were unsuccessful. So we're kind of stuck in the animation mod area. (see last pages of this thread http://www.wildfireg...showtopic=15552)

But I think you can create "new" armatures if you are planning to create new meshes for the units, animate them, bake the animation frame by frame and exporting but I think you'll need to create a .xml for the skeleton thing. I'm sorry I can't be more specific, since I'm not an animation expert.

I'm even a mediocre windows user, so I cannot answer your Ubuntu question, but I'm sure someone will :)

Here are located the base unit models: http://svn.wildfireg...eshes/skeletal/

The concerning files are m_thights.dae, m_hero.dae, m_pants_armor..... etc...

Have fun!