===[COMMITTED]=== Crocodile

Micket

Crocs are mean creatures. When they get a hold of someone, the croc performs a death roll that leaves most of their victims without limbs. So perhaps crocs in 0 A.D. will move very slowly on land- somebody could stand in one place in the middle of the screen for a minute if the croc is moving to the unit from the top of the screen- but will instantly kill a unit if it attacks. I eat alligator for food in restaurants, so I think it would make sense to give the croc a food value as well.

I modeled it's body first as it was lying down, so it was quite wide to start with. Modified to work as standing now.

It's also unwrapped, and legs should hopefully animate well.

Added double-sided faces on the tail parts, which should have alpha maps. I also added single faces around the mouth for the larger teeth (also alpha maps there), so it should look cool when it bites down (i love eye-candy).

Let me know if there are something that needs to be modified (or feel free to do it yourself!)

croc2.zip

post-15430-0-52226200-1371766731_thumb.p

• Like 1

I'm sorry for this but I'm kind of an animal freak (yes they exist! Just like historical freaks). Note: I'm not a nile crocodile expert though, so I do not even know everything about them.

Slow is fine, but not too slow. They are quite fast as you can see:

And about the damage. I think crocodiles are the strongest in water. They have a strong biteforce, but their teeth are designed for grabbling (but also crushing, I've seen a video of one crushing a turtle with ease) so it can drown the animal in the water, also by death roll. Crocodiles also use the deathroll to teer the flesh. Like mentioned:

When they get a hold of someone, the croc performs a death roll that leaves most of their victims without limbs.

A shark for example has teeth designed to really tear through flesh. My point: if a crocodile gets a hold of you yes you are screwed. But since crocodiles relly on ambush, I don't think they do that well against a moving target.

But since you can't really do the "getting hold", high damage seems reasonable (and of course people expect them to do high damage). My opinion:

-high damage, the best would be big change of no/slight damage, slight change of very high damage, but I think there's no system like that.

-slow compared to other units, but not very slow.

I think going for a very large crocodile slightly smaller or as big as Gustav, a famous large crocodile, would be pretty cool. And it seems reasonable there were much bigger individuals in Ancient times with the lack of guns. To give an idea:

640px-Crocodylus_nile_scale.png

The model looks great by the way! Keep up the great work, I love seeing animals in 0 A.D!

(About wolves, the SAS survival guide says they only attack when you are injured, and ferocious packs of wolves attacking hunters is bogus. For a game it's fine though.)

Edited by Unarmed

Great work. I think the texture could be a little more interesting though. Not so dark and monotone. See the cool color variation here? http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-pdIX3U5jggc/Tlfci1ki5oI/AAAAAAAAAqk/diBu2jC1HRI/s1600/NileCrocodile.jpg

• 6 months later...

Thanks Enrique, and great model Micket!

I've made a few more textures variations to see, but I think a slightly dumbed down version of the below croc is the more nile-y. The basic dark one (shown above) could be a good saltwater crocodile though.

I've started animating, it's looking alright (I'm really no animator). Run animation is attached as a gif.

post-9128-0-80585300-1387922264_thumb.gi

post-9128-0-28193600-1387922267_thumb.jp

post-9128-0-71401300-1387922271_thumb.jp

(I've made the teeth cartoonishly big and you still basically can't see them).

• Like 1

Here's a normal map and a spec map I made from an high poly sculpt of the croc, a lot of detail will be lost on the shrink of the image but hopefully there's still some detail to show. Normal map is 0AD-ready, to make it work in blender (to test or whatever) you should invert the green channel color of the normalmap (blender weirdeness ^_^ )

BTW those teeth are too big now (looking at your second image), usually crocs do not show the whole line of teeth in the upper part of the jaw or the lower

croc_normal_spec.zip

• Like 1