Minifactions list

NoMolester

If i am not incorrect, i think the Seleucids will be the last faction. Here i propose some Minifactions.

I will update this post with new info for the civs. If i could get enough info for a civ, i will propose a civ profile for a future DLC, you could help me if you want with some info or images.

In perenthesis is the culture group they could belong to in order to save some work for the buildings. Also, as minifactions, they would have a limited amount of buildings: House (the 3 types), barracks and stable to train their units, a temple to investigate their bonus technologies and some of them a dock to train their ships in case they have.

Italics = Roman building set.

==Etruscans (Italics)==

Units

Etruscan Hoplite:

As with most armies, the infantry was the key element of Etruscan forces, and the hoplites fought using the phalanx formation – a dense line of soldiers armed with spears and round shields, overlapping one another. As hoplites supplied their own arms, and there was no state uniformity, the phalanx may have contained many differently armed hoplites. However, its strength (and sometimes its weakness) lay in its cohesion as one unit.

When the settlement is captured you can train their hoplite. A hoplite that is weak when is in basic xp but very powerful when becomes advanced and elite. So the strategy would be to keep them alive until they become experienced. Is like they are a weak unit when they are recently trained but a champion unit once they reach into elite.

Technologies at the temple

Rear push:

On the advance the older, more experienced men in the rear ranks kept the line moving forward and made sure that nobody dropped out. There would be much shouting and calling by name as troops got too far ahead in some places and too far behind in others. Few hoplite armies were capable of advancing in line over any great distance without becoming disordered. Thucydides makes it clear that most armies had great difficulty advancing with their ranks in good order. Any unexpected obstacle could bring the phalanx to a complete halt or break its formation. As a result, generals selected plains on which to fight their battles, otherwise most hoplite armies would simply find it impossible to come to contact.

Will have a positive affect on the stamina of your units when stamina is done again in the game. Might be stamina will drop at 50% rate instead of 100% or will recover quicklier.

==Samnites (Italics)==

Units

Legio Linteata:

They were elite corps of the Samnitic army. At the beginning every warrior could join the corps only after a holy ceremony, during which he oathed in front of various gods to be ready to die for the defence of his people. After their entrance in the corps, these warriors formed a warrior caste.

Titus Livius speaks very detailed of this Legio in his Annales. According to Livius every man who betryaled the oath made to the gods or didn't join the army after his call-up should be sacrificed to Jupiter.

A triarius-like pikeman, can be trained at the temple, giving you two buildings for training.

Elite, advanced, basic (From left to right).

Civ bonus/Technologies available when captured:

Sacred oath:

The young warrior was guided in the centre of a cirle of warriors with unsheathed swords. The young was then asked, in front of an altar stained with the blood of victims, to oath that he would not betryal his army, invoking a curse on his family and his lineage if he would have not gone to fight where asked or if he would have escaped from the battlefield or even if he would have seen a comrade fleeing without killing him. Some who refused to oath were killed in front of the others and their corpses were abandoned with those of the sacrificed victims.

This oath would make sure all warriors would attend to the war call. Makes faster to train soldiers.

==Epirus (Hellenics)==

Units

-Molossian phalanx:

==Thracians (Hellenics)==

==Celtiberans (Celts or Iberians)==

==Syracusa (Hellenics)==

Units

Mamertine meercenary:

==Thebes (Hellenics)==

==Baktrians (Seleucids)==

==Ilyrians==

==Numidians==

==Germans (to become a normal civ in part 2)==

==Pergamon (Greeks)==

==Thessalia/Achaean league (Greeks)==

==Aetolian League (Greeks)==

==Galatia (Gauls)==

==Pontus (Seleucid)==

==Scythians==

==Sarmatians==

==Dalmatians==

==Ilyrians==

==Nubians (more like old school egypt)==

Edited by NoMolester
fix title

According to what I read, Celtiberians were iberized Celts, still speaking Celtic, maybe even not a mix of Celts and Iberians, and certainly not celticized Iberians. We'd have to look after archaeological studies to precise whether their armament and/or building could be influenced by the Iberian culture.

Etruscans: Pfff... I don't know what the Republican Romans owed to them, but it should be... huge (navy, phalanx, armament, architecture)! Maybe an awesome starting faction, later dominated by powerful end-game Rome.

Dalmatians and Illyrians are the same, to oppose Macedonians, Gauls, Epirus, Romans and later invaders. In the 2nd century B.C., an Illyrian king loose its dalmatian lands to the Roman. Or if you want, the Dalmatian were an Illyrian tribe, like the Arverni were a Gallic tribe. Vastly contributing to the imperial auxiliaries, prone to rebel, but also the Western Empire last and formidable defense.

I agree that having both Dalmatians and Illyrians is an overkill. And maybe Dacians should be left for part 2, no big interaction between them and the playable factions in the BC times. Other possible ones could be:

• Some Scythian/Sarmatian Tribe. Even if left for part 2 as full mechanics, a version with no extra ones could be in part 1 as they were important and with big interaction with greek colonies, macedonians and persians.
  • Pergamon (Greek). Kinda important city-state for the period who managed to control most of Asia Minor at a time and a vital Roman ally.
  • Pontus (Seleucid/Persian). Strong kingdom that even managed to invade roman-owned Greece with huge forces.
  • Armenia (Persian). Broke free from the Seleucids and even conquered grounds up to Antioch (the Seleucid capital) for a brief period and also fought wars against the Romans and Parthians.
  • Achaean and Aetolian Leagues. (Greek) The biggest powers in post-Alexandrian Greece besides Macedon. Fought many wars with changing alliances and rivalries between the two of them and Macedon, Sparta, Rome, Epirus, invading Celts, Seleucids and others.
  • Galatia (Gauls). Migrant Celtic state in central Asia Minor. Often fought as mercenaries or raided/fought against other states around them. One of the last local powers to be subjugated by the Romans.
  • Judea (Seleucid?). In the last two centuries BC they were often independent and fighting against the Seleucids to maintain that independence.
  • Crete/Rhodes/Cyrene/Thessaly/Tarentum/Massilia/Bythinia etc. (Greek) Important states, though it might be an overkill with so many Greeks already.

If it is to be implemented, I would eagerly help make (in cooperation with someone or even by myself) the roosters for them. I'd only need to know how many buildings and troop types for each mini-faction and which ones of them should be done.

Edit, Thought of a template. At question marks, I'm not sure if mini-factions should get that unit/structure or be simpler than that.

INFANTRY (some might not apply to every civ - each one will have the design document details, deleted here to save space)

• Spearman
  • Swordsman
  • Skirmisher
  • Archer
  • Slinger

CAVALRY

• Spearman
  • Swordsman
  • Archer
  • Skirmisher

SUPPORT UNITS

• Female Citizen
  • Priest (?)
  • Trader (?)

NAVY (?)

• Fishing Boat
  • Merchant Ship
  • Light Warship
  • Medium Warship

SIEGE UNITS (?)

• Ram
  • Stone Thrower
  • Bolt Thrower

CHAMPION UNITS (Only one, trained at barracks at city phase, if they phase up?)

• Champion

HEROES (None?)

CIV CENTRE UNITS (deppends on mini-civ)

FORBIDDEN CLASSES (deppends on mini-civ)

STRUCTURE DESCRIPTIONS

VILLAGE

• House (?)
  • Farmstead (?)
  • Field (?)
  • Corral (?)
  • Storehouse (?)
  • Outpost (?)
  • Palisade (?)
  • Dock (?)
  • Barracks

TOWN

• Civic Centre
  • Temple (?)
  • Blacksmith (?)
  • Market (?)
  • Defense Tower (?)
  • Wall/Wall Tower/Gate (?)

CITY (none)

SPECIAL STRUCTURES (none)

WONDER (none)

CIV BONUSES (none?)

TEAM BONUS (none?)

TECHNOLOGIES (deppends on mini-civ)

SPECIAL TECHNOLOGIES (none?)

Edited by Prodigal Son

Ok.

i deleted dalmatia, nubia and dacia. A

dded pergamon, thessalia, Aetolian league, pergamon, Galatia and pontus.

I wanted to add pergamon but forgot the name of the civ XDDDD

I also wanted to add Thessalia but thought there would be too many greeks.

I know Etruria owes nothing to Rome, actually rome owes a lot to Etruria, but is for the sake of saving work in the buildings.

Edited by NoMolester

About the template, since we still don't know how minifcations are going to work, i am going for a conservative aproach:

I guess they will be small towns scattered in the map and you will have the option to destroy them, peacefully absorb them or violently absorb them (how to do this is not in the concern of the post). Once you "absorb" them and get control of their buildings you will gain access to their units and might be a couple of technologies. So i supose they will have only basic structures and a limited array of units, perhaps in their defending army the'd have some units from real factions to withstand a decent defence when attacked so a complete array of units will not be necessary. For example the samnites may start with 10 samnite legio linteatas, 10 roman velites, 10 athenian hoplites and 5 equites to efend their buildings. But once you gain access to those buildings you can only train legio lineteatas.

So i would go for a more limited template:

BUILDINGS:

• House
  • Barracks
  • Dock (in case they have ships)
  • Farms, farmsteads, corral, storehouses, palisades and outposts.
  • Temple (For the technologies)
  • Market (To trade with them)
  • Civic Centre (perhaps the building you need to convert/conquer)

NAVY

• Fishing boat
  • Trading ship
  • Light warship
  • Medium warship

UNITS

• Inf 1
  • Inf 2
  • Inf 3/Cab 1

SUPPORT UNITS

• Female
  • Trader

Their civ bonuses would be more like "technologies" you can research at their temple and gain those bonuses.

They would start with temple, market, dock, barracks and civic centre so you can conquer them quickly instead of waiting them to build that stuff.

Also not having the option to create more CC.

Might be not siege units.

And just a few units, lets say 3 (besides women)?.

Do you think i should delete the celtiberians?

I think they were just Iberian celts, but celts after all, but don't know how seperated in terms of architecture and war they were from the celts.

What about unlocking 1 heore? (like if you cconquer epirus you can train pjyrrus at their CC

Edited by NoMolester

About the template, since we still don't know how minifcations are going to work, i am going for a conservative aproach:

I guess they will be small towns scattered in the map and you will have the option to destroy them, peacefully absorb them or violently absorb them (how to do this is not in the concern of the post). Once you "absorb" them and get control of their buildings you will gain access to their units and might be a couple of technologies. So i supose they will have only basic structures and a limited array of units, perhaps in their defending army the'd have some units from real factions to withstand a decent defence when attacked so a complete array of units will not be necessary. For example the samnites may start with 10 samnite legio linteatas, 10 roman velites, 10 athenian hoplites and 5 equites to efend their buildings. But once you gain access to those buildings you can only train legio lineteatas.

So i would go for a more limited template:

BUILDINGS:

• House
  • Barracks
  • Dock (in case they have ships)
  • Farms, farmsteads, corral, storehouses, palisades and outposts.
  • Temple (For the technologies)
  • Market (To trade with them)
  • Civic Centre (perhaps the building you need to convert/conquer)

NAVY

• Fishing boat
  • Trading ship
  • Light warship
  • Medium warship

UNITS

• Inf 1
  • Inf 2
  • Inf 3/Cab 1

SUPPORT UNITS

• Female
  • Trader

Their civ bonuses would be more like "technologies" you can research at their temple and gain those bonuses.

They would start with temple, market, dock, barracks and civic centre so you can conquer them quickly instead of waiting them to build that stuff.

Also not having the option to create more CC.

Might be not siege units.

And just a few units, lets say 3 (besides women)?.

Do you think i should delete the celtiberians?

I think they were just Iberian celts, but celts after all, but don't know how seperated in terms of architecture and war they were from the celts.

What about unlocking 1 heore? (like if you cconquer epirus you can train pjyrrus at their CC

I'd like someone from the team (Mythos seems to be the one mostly in charge of creating civ roosters) to give an idea on the scale of minifactions possible building and unit list, so we can propose better specifics.

• Will they have AI? Or be defended by default units as you suggested here. Or even be undefended (if so they could be just one building with a few trainable units, if they don't have AI this could be the best option, so we can include many of them, they won't take much space in the map or cause lag. However I'd prefer them to have AI and a small building variety)
  • Should they have say, 1 Hero, 1 Champion, 1 special Tech each? - Would be great but will need extra work for the team.
  • I'd like to see at least Armenians, Achaean League (could replace Thessaly even though they don't have an interesting unique unit like Thessalian Cavalry, but were more powerful) and a Steppe Tribe in the list, to me they were more important for the time period than others included.
  • Celtiberians is ok, if anything to balance the mini civs with so many Greek/Successor ones.
Edited by Prodigal Son

Ok, so I added the Sarmatians and scythians to have steppe civs for a total of 18. I think we should have a max of 20 more or less.

But it would be good if some developer tells us a little bit more about minicivs so we can work on that instead of just speculations.

Things like:

-IA

-Units rooster

-buildings rooster

-how to conqueer thm

-how complex

I would prefer a more active miniciv with AI, some economic buildings an a couple of units for them to train (perhaps we could save work by mixing the werehouse and the farmstead in one building for the minicivs, let them have only farms but not corrals, barrack, dock and temple and of course CC)

If they are just one building were you can build an outpost and train units i'd suggest something more like a camp/tribe like th roman one.

But i am afraid that even the developers dont know exactly how minicivs are going to be, i think they havent thought that yet since there is still other more important things to work in.

Added thassalia/achaean league

Period 1 Mini-faction: the Germans

FACTION:

Name: The Germans
Historical names: The Cimbri, the Teutoni, the Suevan, the Harudi, the Marcomanni
History: The Germanic invasions of the 1st century B.C. are said to have two or three causes.

Firstly, the climatic pejoration of the end of the 2nd century B.C. in northern Europe broke the balance between Germanic peoples as the inhabitants of the Cimbric peninsula came short of food.

Maybe an exceptional storm surge flooded those lowlands. The exceeding population had to migrate south.
Secondly, and paradoxically, technology advances of the late Iron Age have started to be fruitful, leading to better food production and better armament, and favored the expansion south.
Endly, both these causes may have provoked a increased pressure from the northern Germans that had gone to Scandia during the Bronze Age. While trade across the Baltic sea was common, it would be only a century later, the Gothars would invade the southern Baltic coast.
The Roman Republic witnessed three invasions of various scale:
- the Cimbri invasion (c.110-100 B.C.) that raided Noria, western Illyria, central and southern Gaul and northern Hispania, and came unto the Padavian valley in northern Italia.
- the Suevi invasion (c.72-58 B.C.) that raided and subjugated all the now southern Germany, and westward to Iura Mons in Gaul.
- the Trans-rhenan invasion (55-54 B.C.) that raided eastern Cis-rhenan Gaul.
The Cimbri and Suevi, at least, are constantly reported as being very tall (6 feet) and fair-hair.
The Suevi were a very large and loose federation of the Elba Germans, divided in at least 100 tribes or clans (cantons) such as: the Harudi, the Marcomanni, the Suevan, the Longobardi, the Semnones, even the Angles.
Later, two groups would emerge in the south: the Quadi and the Marcomanni.
The reputation of the Suevan was so high that every young warrior in the federation would bear the Suevan knot hairdress, although only in the Suevan tribe would the knot become more and more elaborated the elder the warriors.
The Suevans lived in quite poor lands and sent one part of their male population to raid and subjugate neighbor peoples, taking hostages and imposing annual tributes. At the same time the other men stayed at home would cultivate the meager fields.
The next year, these ones would go in turn for raiding party, in place of the former raiders. To the East, the Suevan kept a wild inhabited piece of land out of which they had pushed the former inhabitants, as a testimony of their valor.
To the West, several tribes, including celticized Germans or Belgians, were vanquished and kept as tributaries.
At a time, the central Hermunduri were assimilated, but every other southern Germanic tribe was proud enough to call itself as Suevan.
The Suevans are probably the cause of the population movement in the Rhine Valley during the 1st century B.C.

Note: I would see the Germans as technologically less advanced than the Gauls: no mail, only breast cuirass, half cuirass or pectorals, few swords, small and rarer horses, no siege weapon (except crude batter ram), less gathering technologies.

INFANTRY

Spearman - Raider - Forester

CAVALRY

Spearman

SUPPORT

Woman - Priestess

NAVY

Fisher - Transport

CHAMPION (mercenary)

Gallic spearman

INFANTRY

Generic Name: Spearman
Specific Name: Gar... Har... (see such ethnonyms such as Harudi, Hermanduri, Cherrusci)
Classes: Infantry Spearman
Hacker Armament: Light Spear
Appearance:

• Garb:

Basic: Trousers,tunic/shirt
Advanced: Trouser, tunic/shirt, metallic protections
Elite: Trouser, tunic/shirt, iron half breastplate or mail?

• Helmet:

Basic: No helmet
Advanced: Bronze helmet / No helmet
Elite: Iron helmet / Bronze helmet

• Shield: Oval

Figure(s): as Celts, without limed hair?

History:

In 101 B.C., the Cimbri are said to fight with light spears they could throw or use in melee, with a thin but sharp iron head.
In 58 B.C. the German tactic in pitched battles is to form "phalanxes" organized by tribes (or "cantons"):
"Then at last of necessity the Germans drew their forces out of camp, and disposed them canton by canton, at equal distances"
"(...) and the enemy so suddenly and rapidly rushed forward, that there was no time for casting the javelins at them. Throwing aside [therefore] their javelins, they fought with swords hand to hand. But the Germans, according to their custom, rapidly forming a phalanx, sustained the attack of our swords. There were found very many of our soldiers who leaped upon the phalanx, and with their hands tore away the shields, and wounded the enemy from above. Although the army of the enemy was routed on the left wing and put to flight, they [still] pressed heavily on our men from the right wing, by the great number of their troops."
Hand axe are reported to be used by the women, although the Alpine Gauls are know to use them sometimes in battle. They could be secondary weapons. Maybe the Romans didn't reported them because they didn't consider them real weapons?

Garrison: 1
Function: The mainstream Germanic military. The sword and mail would come later, maybe due to more contacts/subjugation with the Celts. If implemented, they could throw a spear before melee and still have one for melee attack. Maybe, like the Celtic Spearman, they could have a small (dagger) hack damage, too.

Counters: melee cavalry

Generic Name: Light Infantry
Specific Name: (Raider)
Class: Skirmisher
Ranged Armament: Light spear (Javelin)
Hacker Armament: Hand axe
Appearance:

• Garb:

Basic: Trousers,tunic/shirt or half naked
Advanced: Trouser, tunic/shirt
Elite: Trouser, tunic/shirt + leather armor

• Helmet: None
  • Shield: None

Figure(s): as Celt skirmishers, fair haired with a simple (young) suevan knot.
History:

"Thither Ariovistus sent light troops, about 16,000 men in number, with all his cavalry; which forces were to intimidate our men, and hinder them in their fortification."
This is the only account for light footmen. We only know that the legions drove them easily. If they were light troops, the surely were heavier troops too (the "phalangists").

Function: a bit like the Velites with less damage and more range, but more able in melee. They could also be the first tier of the German only infantry unit (Spearman). Somewhat able to fight horsemen on 1vs1 (shooting, dodging and jumping at them). Very brave.
Counters: Support, Melee & Skirmisher Cavalry and Elephants, Buildings.
Countered by: Infantry, Cavalry archers, Chariots.

Generic Name: Archer
Specific Name: (Forester)
Class: Archer
Ranged Armament: Short (hunting) bow
Hacker Armament: Hand axe or Short Thick Spear?
Appearance:
  • Garb:

Advanced: Trouser, tunic/shirt
Elite: Trouser, tunic/shirt

Figure(s): as Celts, without limed hair.
History:

Hunting was very important for Germans as it seems that most of the soils were less fertile than in Gaul.
Also Cesar reports that the Suevan would like to be surrounded by wild depopulated lands, all of this is not in favor to a rich farming culture.
Compared to the Celts they were more Agro-Herders than Cultivators. We can see this as a remanent cultural habit (Hunter-Gatherers), or a survival way of life dictated by the environment (less fertile, more forested land, except ripuarian valleys).

Function:
No large specialized archer units are reported, and the ranged combat may have been despised (as much as with the Celts?). Maybe, they could still have used such skirmishers in the thick Hercynian forest, but would never dream to use them in a pitch battle (whereas the much later Vikingar had archers). They could cost 100 Food 75 Wood to reflect their rarity, have a bit less HP than the Spearman (though enough for woodman), and have the worst pierce damage of all archers.
They could be forbidden to enter any formation (if this is possible). They would be SUPREME food gatherer. They could have a fair viewing range (more than the Germanic Spearman, at least).
Think a bit like the American Conquest Woodmen/Trappers.

Compared to Greek archers, who had access to Eastern technology: 1 less range (or 2 at first?), 20-25% less damage at first.
More HP, and a decent Hack and/or Pierce Melee.

Alternatively, we could see them as another Skirmisher: some would come with a bow, some with light throwing spears (javelins).

Generic Name: Gallic Spearman

Specific Name:
Classes: Infantry Spearman

See the Gauls faction

History:

In 58 B.C., Ariovistus had subjugated several Gaulish and Belgian tribes on both sides of the Rhine. Against Caesar, they formed half his troops (in tribes).

Function: The difference between those Gauls and the German Spearman could be their availability (late game, special scenarios) and cost (no food). Also, they would have the superior armor of the Gauls.

CAVALRY

Generic Name: Germanic Cavalry
Specific Name: (People of the Horse)
Class: Cavalry Spearman
Hacker Armament: Light Spear or Thick spear, hand axe?
Appearance:

• Garb:

Advanced: Trouser, tunic/shirt, metallic protections
Elite: Trouser, tunic/shirt, iron half breastplate or mail?

• Helmet:

Basic: No helmet
Advanced: Bronze helmet / No helmet
Elite: Iron helmet / Bronze helmet

• Shield: Round and smaller than round infantry shield

Figure(s): as Celts, without limed hair.

History:

- In 102 B.C., the Cimbri are said to have a 15,000 horsemen force, that was no match to the Roman cavalry (or did they ever participate to the battle?). We don't know however what was the part of the German cavalry, given the Gallic allies (Insubri, Boii, Santonii).
- In 58 B.C., Ariovistus had many Gallic (Belgians, etc.) tributaries/allies from the Rhine valley, but we don't know much about their cavalry.
We do know however that the Haeduan noble (leaders, senate, ...) cavalry had been virtually destroyed (maybe by the German cavalry?).
We do also know that Ariovistus had a many thousands cavalry, most of them being sent to raid and forage northern Gaulish and Belgian countryside (Treviri, Rhine valley).
"Ariovistus all this time kept his army in camp: but engaged daily in cavalry skirmishes. The method of battle in which the Germans had practiced themselves was this. There were 6000 horsemen, and as many very active and courageous footmen, one of whom each of the horsemen selected out of the whole army for his own protection. By these [footmen] they were constantly accompanied in their engagements; to these the horsemen retired; these on any emergency rushed forward; if any one, upon receiving a very severe wound, had fallen from his horse, they stood around him: if it was necessary to advance farther: than usual, or to retreat more rapidly, so great, from practice, was their swiftness, that, supported by the manes of the horses, they could keep pace with their speed."

As we see, the Germans had comparatively less horses than the Romans.
German horses are described as small and meager, but fast, sturdy and trained so that, they would stay on their ground when dismounted, waiting for a man to mount them again and move in or out of the battle field.
Typically, the cavalry was used to raid and forage, to pursue fleeing enemy, and to go faster close to enemy light infantry and cavalry, the rider could jump from his horse to any foe at range and continuing the fight on foot.
They were incredibly brave, 800 horsemen engaging all Caesar's cavalry and killing 70 of them and traumatizing the others at the beginning of the German campaign (55 or 54 B.C.).
" But as as soon as the enemy saw our cavalry, five thousands as strong, they came to it, being only eight hundreds ; because the foragers send beyond the Meuse river had not return yet. (...)[being surprised because of the truce], we were soon put in disorder by this attack. When we had rallied, the enemy, according to their habit, dismounted their horses, killed several of our horses, put down a few riders, repelled the others and scared them as much as they only stop fleeing when they saw our [footmen in battle formation]. 74 Roman cavalry were killed [surrounded and put down of their horses]"
We can see them as being mounted infantry (equipment wise) as well, that is alike lancers. They are not to be mixed with later Germanic cavalry hordes.

In all texts, German cavalry is said to be no match for the Roman cavalry. It may suggest that they were less able to sustain a full scale cavalry charge.
Caesar used Germanic cavalry along with Gallic Cavalry during the Gallic War, but they don't seem to have separate use and both could have been Celts...
Also, Augustus had a Batavian cavalry regiment (or bodyguard).
Also, around 1 A.D. the Suevan (Alamanni) auxilliaries began to be used by the Roman in Britain.
We could say that they were not as noble warriors as Celtic cavalry (horse less costly, less armor, more speed, more HP?: medium cavalry).

Garrison: 2
Function: They are scouts in open areas, and anti skirmishers/archers. They could have a mixed hack attack to account for a hand axe. Could be faster than roman cavalry, but deficient in cavalry fights (no saddle nor blanket), but a match for any footman closed by (except spearman).

Counters: Support, Skirmishers, Archers, Buildings, Cavalry.

Countered by: Spearmen, Melee Cavalry.

SUPPORT

Generic Name: Germanic Woman
Specific Name:
Class: Female Citizen
Hacker Armament: Light Spear or (to mix) Hand axe
Appearance:

• Garb:

Figure(s): as Celts?
History:

In 102 and 101 B.C., Cimbri and Teutones women are said to collectively suicide and kill the helpless (children, elders, wounded) if not granted freedom upon surrender.
The Cimbri women were said to be as tall as their men (6 feet!) and defended toe to toe their chariot camp with spears and hand axes and when surrounded asked the Roman for a free and safe retreat that wasn't granted.
It seems that the Germanic woman's social status was (slightly) inferior to that of the Celtic one (?), outside of the family (even if later Germanic laws are derived from Roman Code).
In 58 B.C., Ariovistus used quite a related tactic to that Boiorix used 40 years earlier: put the wagons and chariots as defensive wall and have the women garrison them. Although in Ariovistus case, according to Caesar, it was to prevent the Germans from fleeing, they managed to do. Also Caesar doesn't mention fighting women, only killed ones during the chase.
"[They] surrounded their whole army with their chariots and wagons, that no hope might be left in flight. On these they placed their women, who, with disheveled hair and in tears, entreated the soldiers, as they went forward to battle, not to deliver them into slavery to the Romans."
"Ariovistus had two wives (...). Both perished in that flight. Of their two daughters, one was slain, the other captured."

Function: Food gatherer, Civil builder, Attack bonus for nearby men.
Special: Even harder to capture than Celtic women. Would fight back if attacked by a melee unit.

Generic Name: Priestess
Specific Name: (Moon, Sky, Fire)

Class: Healer
Hacker Armament: (ritual short swords/daggers)
Appearance:

• Garb: White tunic, flaxen cloak, bronze girdle, bare foot (or soft shoes?)

Figure(s): Grey hair (elder matrones)
History:

In 101 B.C., the Cimbri are said to fight along with priestess in their ranks who would encourage the warriors.
Strabo: "Their wives, who would accompany them on their expeditions, were attended by priestesses who were seers; these were grey-haired, clad in white, with flaxen cloaks fastened on with clasps, girt with girdles of bronze, and bare-footed; now sword in hand these priestesses would meet with the prisoners of war throughout the camp, (...) would cut the throat of each prisoner after he had been lifted up; and from the blood that poured forth into the vessel some of the priestesses would draw a prophecy, while still others would split open the body and from an inspection of the entrails would utter a prophecy of victory for their own people; and during the battles they would beat on the hides that were stretched over the wicker-bodies of the wagons and in this way produce an unearthly noise."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cimbri

Function: Medic, Aura bonus (Better attack, better attack speed)

NAVY

Not unlike the Celts: a fisherman, a trader (to account for Baltic exchanges), a transport for raiding parties.
However their design could be more oriented toward viking-style (that is: more slender, lower on the water) without being too much anachronistic (no dragon head, no shields).

ECONOMY

No mining or no mining technologies. No quarrying.

No farming technologies.

Bonus for foraging and hunting.

Alternatively, those technology are a lot costlier.

The market place would be able to buy metal. The Germans would automatically receive a periodic small tribute in food and metal, to account for their tributaries and seasonal raiding parties (at the market place).

Edited by Rodmar