[Status] Japanese Art Wishlist (2D, 3D, Animation, Maps/Campaigns)

Radagast.

Please open a topic if you work on something. This topic then will be linked here and striked through once finished.

(Civilization)==TASK== Generic: Specific name (Faction)

Post below if there are any things you would love to see.

Eras / Civilization Variants to model: source: http://www.jref.com/japan/history/

• Jōmon jidai (縄文時代, ca. 11000..300BCE).
    Hunter gatherer.
  • Yayoi jidai (弥生時代, ca. 300BCE..300AD).
    Wet-rice agriculture and the use of bronze and iron first appeared in Japan.
  • Yamato jidai (250AD..710 source see above link).
    Description.
    • Kofun jidai (古墳時代, 250..538AD) <-- ca. 250 years.
    • Asuka jidai (550..710) <-- 160 years, less in other sources. Let's create art for Yamato as a whole instead (with only few special buildings for Kofun and Asuka sub-sub-variants).
  • Heian jidai (平安時代, 794..1185). <-- 400 years
    Description.
  • Kamakura (1185..1333) . <-- 248 years
  • Muromachi (1338..1573), <-- 235 years
  • Edo jidai (1603..1867). <-- 264 years
    Description.
  • Showa period (1926..1989) <-- required for WWI + II
    Description.

japan-history.gif

Note: If no more significant/longer existing variant/dynasty comes short before or after a minor civilization faction then we can create art, otherwise we should avoid it. Though there might be special buildings and units which we could create if worth it.

3D

• generic - japanese__structure__filename
  • Natives [1] (土人 / Ainu Hep) - japanese__structure__natives

Jōmon:

• Civil Center - japanese__jomon__civil_center

Yayoi:

• Civil Center - japanese__yayoi__civil_center

Yamato:

• Civil Center - japanese__heian__civil_center (can Yamoto civil center be reused or was it distinct?)

Heian:

• Civil Center [1][2] (/) - japanese__heian__civil_center (can Yamoto civil center be reused or was it distinct?)
  • Guard Tower [1] (/) - japanese__heian__guard_tower
  • Outpost [1] - japanese__heian__outpost
  • Houses [1] (/) - japanese__heian__house_b, (Have common buildings changed since Yamato dynasty?)
  • Temple - japanese__heian__temple,

Muromachi/Kamakura:

Edo:

• Civil Center - japanese__edo__civil_center (can Yamoto civil center be reused or was it distinct?)
  • (if distinct enough otherwise only if there are volunteer artists/time permits/significance rises!)
  • Other special and, in regard to the prior dynasties, distinct buildings.
  • distinct units.

Showa:

• Civil Center - japanese__showa__civil_center
  • more distinct buildings
  • more distinct unit types

2D

• generic structure texture - japanese__structure
  • generic unit texture - japanese__unit

Jōmon:

Yayoi:

Yamato:

Heian:

Edo:

Showa:

Animation

Map/Campaign

Edited by Hephaestion

Okay, The Japanese civilization should be settled for our purposes:

We now feature at max 6 factions for the Japanese civilization over the course of time. Some of those might not even need completely new art assets and can reuse the prior dynasty's assets.

Very special buildings and units of other - either left out completely or not bold written dynasties/periods - may still be included if worth it. (very low number of assets)

Edited by Hephaestion

I think we'd better divide the Japanese in 2 factions only, the first one ranging from Nara Period to the end of Kamakura, the later from Muromachi Period to the first years of Edo Period (this is actually the Medieval Japan, not for the time gap, obviously, but for the dynamics, wich were very similar to Medieval Europe). I'll soon submit some concepts for part I. Should I re-post the ones from part 2 as well?

Excuse the mess. A misunderstanding: I meant this to be the complete timeline.

In the Roadmap in the Medieval timeframe we only have:

- Heian (Millennium I)

- Kamakura + Muromachi (Millennium II)

The Heian are essentially your first mentioned timeframe (without the Nara who were only 80 years in comparison to the 400 of the Heian period).

I was thinking the same as you, but since those Chinese-style structures were moslty enclosured within walls, a civic center inspired by a palace would look too big ( I even thought about making such a building with gates and all). But the Heian Soryuro looks great as a starting point, you can see it starts to differ from Tang architecture and assuming a more regional tone.

What I tend do with asian structures is to look at certain examples like a palace or temple complex, then pick out the part of it that stand out like the main hall for example, and then base the concept on that part while tweaking it here and there to turn it into an original creation that would look like a buildable structure in game. It's also useful to look at buildings already in the game to gauge out what scale and layout you want it.

Edited by Ayakashi

Here's the guard tower, inspired by the towers of the Castle in the Corner (Soryuro). The upper roof needs to be a little enlarged. I can't find any examples of fortifications, though. Thanks for the tip, the concept for the CC was actually taken from a palace in Kyoto. I didn't want it to be just a big hall, so I added the lanterns and the tree ( this later one to give it a more Japanese "feel", in contrast with the Chinese symetry).

post-16101-0-84599400-1400941019_thumb.j

• Like 3

I'll make a sketch of the outpost then. Here are the Heian homes (the round logs aren't red as in the civ center or temples, it's just "raw" wood). I see this civilization's architecture style will be very discrepant, in one side we'll have more "indigenous" Japanese buildings, in the other one, the Chinese-influenced structures. You think it's better to equalize or maintain the differences?

post-16101-0-98629700-1401066717_thumb.j

Edited by Le Druide Gaulois

Wow! I'll model it. I hope we can maintain the differences as far as possible and feasible. The buildings could be either described as Chinese influenced or we could later tag it with a location or direction of our territory North/East/South/West or best determine in which direction the next Chinese civilization AI is settling.

• 2 weeks later...