• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 av_nefardec

av_nefardec

Primus Pilus

• WFG Retired
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 03:50 AM

Ahh, I just bought the Lays of Beleriand and The Shaping of Middle-earth today.

I was going to buy Peoples of Middle-earth and either Morgoth's Ring or the War of the Jewels, but all that the store had was hardcover, and I'm too cheap to spend $30.00 on each book :/

How many of you guys have these? Are they interesting?

I really wanted War of the Jewels for Tolkien's Essay - Quendi and Eldar. I am really interested in the linguistic history of the elves and the evolutions of Tolkien's several languages, so that would have been a good buy for me.

And I'd like to read about the Northmen/Dwarven alliance and the war with the Orcs of Hithaeglir, so I would have liked to have bought PoME, but oh well. I'll try to find cheaper versions online.

PoME is the most recently published, right? Anyone know if C. Tolkien is doing any more?
Adam [aka av_nefardec]

The Last Alliance

Contact me: adam@wildfiregames.com

#2 Sam

Sam

Primus Pilus

• WFG Retired
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 06:47 AM

I have the Shaping of Middle- Earth but I only read it once and can not remember much from it except that I was confules most of the time mostly by the footnotes.

The Peoples of Middle- Earth is an awesome book, though, it is not really a book to read but more of a reference if you ask me.
Sam Carlton [ aka Sam ]

Wildfire Games Well I used to do something here, thats for sure.
Contact me: Sam@wildfiregames.com

Support Wildfire Games!

#3 Enarwaen

Enarwaen

Finarfin stayed home

• WFG Retired
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 06:57 AM

i've recently (back in october - during my visit in London) bought the final two volumes of the HoME series (mainly as reference for our little project here). but i've not yet progressed far - just paged through it a bit - but there IS interesting stuff to be found in there.

alas - i wish there was more time for me to spend on study than on work and on the other daily chores :)

suilad
-Bernd
Bernd [ aka Enarwaen ]

The Last Alliance Project Co-Leader, Ardaquenta Admin
Contact me: enarwaen@wildfiregames.com

Visit Ardaquenta - our community driven Encyclopedia on all things Arda!

#4 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

Curufinwe is always right.

• WFG Retired
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 10:47 AM

:)
Well, to me the Peoples of Middle Earth is a "real" book ... but it is true that I use it now mainly as a reference book ... very interesting in my opinion especially the chapter about languages ... quite huge and so precise !
David B. [ a.k.a Curufinwe ]
The Last Alliance Consultant

Visit Ardaquenta - our community driven Encyclopedia on J.R.R. Tolkien and Arda.
contact me: Curufinwe's email

"They swore an oath which none shall break, and none should take, by the name even of Ilvatar, calling the Everlasting Dark upon them if they kept it not..."
Quenta Silmarillion - Of the Flight of the oldor

Proud Member of the Tolkien Society

#5 av_nefardec

av_nefardec

Primus Pilus

• WFG Retired
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 04:45 PM

I am quite entertained by what many would call "academia" so I think if it confuses you ph4ntom, I'd probably like it :)

I really need to get PoME next. ;)
Adam [aka av_nefardec]

The Last Alliance

#6 Sam

Sam

Primus Pilus

• WFG Retired
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 07:38 AM

hmmm. now that you are throwing around big words im even more confused....Anyways I think I was mainly confused because for some God awful reason I read it before I read the Silmarillion...Maybe Ill look into it after Beowulf
Sam Carlton [ aka Sam ]

Support Wildfire Games!

#7 av_nefardec

av_nefardec

Primus Pilus

• WFG Retired
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 07:55 AM

If you get Beowulf, I strongly suggest the Seamus Heaney translation. Not only is it extremely poetic and well-crafted in the modern english, but the original anglo-saxon is printed on the left page for comparison the translated right. Quite interesting if you are into language and reading things in their original languages like me :)
Adam [aka av_nefardec]

The Last Alliance

#8 Sam

Sam

Primus Pilus

• WFG Retired
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 08:20 AM

Ahhh... That is the one I got...
Sam Carlton [ aka Sam ]

Support Wildfire Games!

#9 Sukkit

Sukkit

Hit bi wyrd

• WFG Retired
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 03 January 2004 - 01:45 PM

I've read "Lays of Beleriand", but only the Spanish translation. Obviously, if prose loses a lot when translated, poetry loses even more, so I have to find an English version.
Rober (aka Sukkit)
The Last Alliance - Linguist
Hige sceal heardra, heorte cnre, md sceal mre, re mǽgen ltla

#10 av_nefardec

av_nefardec

Primus Pilus

• WFG Retired
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 03:14 AM

I need to find some time to start reading them :/ I'm quite busy right now.
Adam [aka av_nefardec]

The Last Alliance

#11 Halmirion

Halmirion

Duplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 07:21 PM

What in your guys' opinions are the best HoME books? I've got Lost Tales 1 and 2, but I don't think I'm too interested in the LT 1 because of the incredibly early stage of his mythology (with gnomes and all that), and LT 2 only interests me because of the Fall of Gondolin, in which the only full narrative of that fall is given, and it's something that can't be found anywhere else. I really love UT, or at least what I've read of it because it deals more directly with a fairly late conception that's real close to his published myth, and sheds more light on things that aren't given in either LotR or S.

I'm a bit curious as to some of the seemingly LotR era HoME books, like Treason of Isengard, but I don't really know what's in them at all. Are they merely early drafts of parts of the published LotR? Is there much unique information that I couldn't find elsewhere?

Thanks for your help :unsure:

#12 Enarwaen

Enarwaen

Finarfin stayed home

• WFG Retired
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 07:29 PM

I'm a bit curious as to some of the seemingly LotR era HoME books, like Treason of Isengard, but I don't really know what's in them at all. Are they merely early drafts of parts of the published LotR? Is there much unique information that I couldn't find elsewhere?

If you are interested in the "Making of Lord of the Rings" (the book) i'd recommend you get HoME vol 6 to 9. But beware its sometimes very dry and repetive (especially the first book - if i remember correctly it covers Tolkiens first stumblings into the narrative of Book 1 and features atleast 3 different major versions of Book 1.) sure its interesting but it can get stuffy at times. the other volumes are a "lighter" read but they very often fall back on Vol. 6 so this would be (atleast IMO) a required read.

personally i enjoy the latter volumes (10, 11 and 12) of the HoME series the most. because it has LotR out of the way and covers Tolkiens late writings on various topics that concern the Elder Days (my favorites). which reminds me - i should start on Vol.11 (argh ... where's the time when i need it)

hope i could help

suilad
-Bernd
Bernd [ aka Enarwaen ]

The Last Alliance Project Co-Leader, Ardaquenta Admin
Contact me: enarwaen@wildfiregames.com

Visit Ardaquenta - our community driven Encyclopedia on all things Arda!

#13 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

Curufinwe is always right.

• WFG Retired
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 08:28 PM

I agree 100% Enarwen ... HoME 12 - The Peoples of ME is probably my favourite, maybe for its linguistic part ...
David B. [ a.k.a Curufinwe ]
The Last Alliance Consultant

Visit Ardaquenta - our community driven Encyclopedia on J.R.R. Tolkien and Arda.
contact me: Curufinwe's email

"They swore an oath which none shall break, and none should take, by the name even of Ilvatar, calling the Everlasting Dark upon them if they kept it not..."
Quenta Silmarillion - Of the Flight of the oldor

Proud Member of the Tolkien Society

#14 Mithrandil

Mithrandil

High King of the... Boomslangs!

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 08:24 PM

I'm not following... So Vol.6 until 9 is just about Tolkien's history? Wich books contain new information (that's not in S)? I would really like to hear the complete story of Trin and of Tuor and all :-(
Loonis Logghe [ aka Mithrandil ]

'Shouldn't we send him a message and call in his help?' Erestor asked. 'It seems that he even has control of the Ring.'
'No, I shouldn't say it that way,' Gandalf said. 'Rather say the Ring hasn't got control of him. He's his own master. But he can't change the ring, nor break the power it has on others.'

No, my name isn't wrong, it's just a combination of Mithrandir and Mithril: look and see: MITHRandI(L/R)

"One can only discuss when he can find reason in the other's thoughts, and then still disagree. When one cannot, he argues" -Noilos

"One is intelligent when one wields the following things: critisism on everything, and keen logics in it's purest form" -Noilos

"Philosophy poses the question why, History answers it" -Noilos

#15 Black Op

Black Op

Do Not Hesitate, Show No Mercy

• WFG Retired
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 09:38 PM

Basicly, HoME contains old versions of what's in Sil and LOTR. I'm not sure what new info is actually in HoME I'm afraid. :unsure:
Randy Sage [ aka Black Op ]

Wildfire Games Senior Guardian
Contact me: elrando@pacbell.net

Support Wildfire Games!

#16 av_nefardec

av_nefardec

Primus Pilus

• WFG Retired
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 02:14 AM

Mithrandil - read Unfinished Tales for the stories of Tuor and Trin in their entirety, and then HoME II: Lost Tales 2 for the history of the tale of Tuor (that is the stages of development) and Trin Turambar, and then this tale carries over into HoME III: The Lays of Beleriand.
Adam [aka av_nefardec]

The Last Alliance

#17 Mithrandil

Mithrandil

High King of the... Boomslangs!

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 01:41 PM

but that isn't a complete story in Unfinished Tales, is it :-( Couldn't mister Christpher complete it (or is he dead allready ;) )
Loonis Logghe [ aka Mithrandil ]

'Shouldn't we send him a message and call in his help?' Erestor asked. 'It seems that he even has control of the Ring.'
'No, I shouldn't say it that way,' Gandalf said. 'Rather say the Ring hasn't got control of him. He's his own master. But he can't change the ring, nor break the power it has on others.'

No, my name isn't wrong, it's just a combination of Mithrandir and Mithril: look and see: MITHRandI(L/R)

"One can only discuss when he can find reason in the other's thoughts, and then still disagree. When one cannot, he argues" -Noilos

"One is intelligent when one wields the following things: critisism on everything, and keen logics in it's purest form" -Noilos

"Philosophy poses the question why, History answers it" -Noilos

#18 Sukkit

Sukkit

Hit bi wyrd

• WFG Retired
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 11:08 AM

Nah, that'd be a heresy!
Rober (aka Sukkit)
The Last Alliance - Linguist
Hige sceal heardra, heorte cnre, md sceal mre, re mǽgen ltla

#19 Caedus

Caedus

Community Drunk

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 12:00 PM

I agree, though I wouldn't mind if he wrote something new about this topic himself.
Anco Peeters [ aka Caedus ]

The Last Alliance Semi-active TLA forumer (philosophy student)

"Christopher was always much concerned with the consistency of the story and on one occasion ... interrupted: 'Last time, you said Bilbo's front door was blue, and you said Thorin had a golden tassel on his hood, but you've just said that Bilbo's front door was green, and the tassel on Thorin's hood was silver'; at which point Ronald exclaimed 'Damn the boy!' and strode across the room to make a note."

~ Priscilla and John Tolkien, The Tolkien Family Album, Houghton Mifflin Co., 1992, p. 58.

Nice Mythology site: Encyclopedia Mythica