• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 av_nefardec

av_nefardec

Primus Pilus

• WFG Retired
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 06:44 AM

Many of you may know in the movies Arwen is given a sword that, according to the movies, was held by Elrond, which was held by his father Erendil, which was held by his mother Idril at the fall of Gondolin.

This is a neat little background story they made up for the sword, and besides the fact that it's curved, it's really nice-looking.

It's called Hadhafang.

Well anyways, I thought this entire thing was completely made up, even the name.

But I was looking through the Etymologies in HoME V recently and under the root SYAD, I found a Quenya derivative "Sangahyando" which is equated with the very sindarin looking "Hadhafang" the name of the sword in the movie. It is sead to mean "throng-cleaver", which is also what the movie has it mean.

Now my question is - was Hadhafang mentioned anywhere else in Tolkien's mythology?
Adam [aka av_nefardec]

The Last Alliance

Contact me: adam@wildfiregames.com

#2 Frumpus

Frumpus

Duplicarius

• WFG Retired
  • 231 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 07:43 AM

OK, now this is REALLY wierd. I was "Google-ing" tonight on a different topic and came across a website that sells the movie-related collectibles. This was, of course, one of the collectibles to-- ehm, ... collect. It had the name, and lineage... and I was thinking the exact same thing: "How did they "think" up this idea?" and "Is this 'really' from his writings?"

;)

(It's details like this that make me more forgiving of the heinous script changes.)
Allan J. Hundeby [ aka Frumpus ]

The Last Alliance Literature Consultant, Game Designer, Concept Artist
Contact me:
naa_frumpus@yahoo.ca

#3 Sukkit

Sukkit

Hit bi wyrd

• WFG Retired
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 11:56 AM

Is "Hadhafang" given as a Noldorin equivalent in the Etymologies? Because Quenya hy- becomes h- in Sindarin.
Rober (aka Sukkit)
The Last Alliance - Linguist
Hige sceal heardra, heorte cnre, md sceal mre, re mǽgen ltla

#4 Sukkit

Sukkit

Hit bi wyrd

• WFG Retired
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 05:35 PM

I should be publicly caned for that one. Ugh.

How could I forget that the order in compounds is different in Quenya and Sindarin? darn.

PS: in my defence, and after checking the Etymologies, it seems it's not a 'normal' compound anyway, as th becomes v, f by assimilation. But that's a poor excuse for me ;)
Rober (aka Sukkit)

#5 av_nefardec

av_nefardec

Primus Pilus

• WFG Retired
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 06:43 PM

lol, no harm done ;)

But I'm still curious as to the usage of this name in Tolkien's works.

In any case, it's got to be one of the best names for a sword in the movies B) I'm sure it had to be the work of David Salo.
Adam [aka av_nefardec]

The Last Alliance

Contact me: adam@wildfiregames.com

#6 Sukkit

Sukkit

Hit bi wyrd

• WFG Retired
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 09:47 AM

Definitely, if it wasn't Salo himself some other nerd did it ;)

As far as I know, Hadhafang is not used elsewhere. It's not in the Lost Road name index, and since this book contains most of the texts written at the same time as the Etymologies (that got many additions dealing with new names coined during the writing of the Lost Road's texts), I'd say this sword-name probably never found out which sword it was.
Rober (aka Sukkit)