#21 Beren IV

Beren IV

Duplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 03:12 AM

What's a Maia, anyway?

There are a lot of spirits in Arda, that much is clear, and many of these spirits inhabit things and one would not normally think of them as being of the same class of beings that Gandalf or Sauron, let alone the Valar, are. I get the distinct impression that creatures inhabited by spirits that give them special powers can reproduce - take the Ents, for example. Ents and Entwives, when they existed together, did create more Ents. I suggest Dragons may be the same way: initially created using spirits, but once they bred, they bred, and the spirits had progeny just as the bodies they inhabited.

Incidentally, the Uruloki were not extinct by the Third Age. Smaug was definitely one of them, and although he was the greatest of his day, there is nowhere to say that there are not more of lesser might elsewhere in the uncharted parts of the world. There are cold-drakes also, but I think that the degeneracy in the species of Dragons represents the fading of Arda as a whole: Third Age Men are not on a par with First Age Men, and Third Age Elves are second to First Age Elves, and even even the Ainur in the Third Age seem weaker and less potent than the same individuals did in the First, and none of that is because Finrod, Fingolfin, the Seven Sons, or Beren or Tour, were Maiar.

#22 Aldandil

Aldandil

Triplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:06 AM

Nay, Smaug was not an Uruloke. He was a Ramaloke. Uruloki did not have wings. They also had fire for blood, which Smaug did not.

Anyway, I just found a passage in the Grey Annals (written 1950-1952) that explicitly states that Glaurung was a demon-Maia incarnated in a body.

A Maia is one of the spirits (ealar) that existed before the world was created, and who too part in the Music of the Ainur. The spirits (fear) of incarnate beings are not the same thing at all, except in the case of Istari.

#23 Beren IV

Beren IV

Duplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 04:13 PM

Still, I wonder if Smaug was a Maia in a Dragon's body. What happens when the bodies of two Maiar mate? Can they produce offspring from their bodies, and if so, does this create a body without a Maia spirit inside of it, if there is only a finite amount of the Flame Imperishible to go around? Aragorn, for example, may be descended from Melian, but he's no Maia.