• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Valahiru

Valahiru

Duplicarius

• WFG Retired
  • 238 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 03:10 AM

I have heard that Peter Jackson bought the rights for making a new version of The Hobbit, and also might have bought the rights for making a movie of teh Silmarilion. Does anyone know if vthe claims are well founded?
Last Alliance Consultant
Contact me at: Analog20@yahoo.com

#2 Yiuel

Yiuel

The Melvillian WFG Member

• WFG Retired
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 04:15 AM

If he ever bought the rights for Quenta Silmarillion, I wonder how many movies will he need to produce!
Ugo Lachapelle [also known as Yiuel LeMelvillois]
Wildfire Games Recruit Guardian / Contact me: lamelurbano@hotmail.com

Writer of
Ie Ien, Longorela, Kevin in An-Aarleen, Goshin, Ora TronikGirl and Heptagramme

Dajimmj nakjawtwsuv kiwqankewenkr tufqvit. (Thinhedadndasaw)
A nightsky shines upon us, its darkness tearing us apart. (Sea of Miracles)

#3 Enarwaen

Enarwaen

Finarfin stayed home

• WFG Retired
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 04:45 AM

AFAIK the rights to the Silmarillion and any other work are NOT for sale. Tolkien only sold the rights to LotR and the Hobbit (current copyright holder is Tolkien Enterprises -> Saul Zaentz). I doubt there will be a move to sell off the Silmarillion rights in the near future.
Bernd [ aka Enarwaen ]

The Last Alliance Project Co-Leader, Ardaquenta Admin
Contact me: enarwaen@wildfiregames.com

Visit Ardaquenta - our community driven Encyclopedia on all things Arda!

#4 av_nefardec

av_nefardec

Primus Pilus

• WFG Retired
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 05:57 AM

These claims are unfounded, as long as the estate holds the rights to the Silmarillion.

Also, since the Silmarillion spans a few thousand years and LotR spans only one year, I doubt that hollywood would even try.
Adam [aka av_nefardec]

The Last Alliance

Contact me: adam@wildfiregames.com

#5 Enarwaen

Enarwaen

Finarfin stayed home

• WFG Retired
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 08:14 AM

@adam - yep, i agree. but you don't know what the greedy execs will come up with AFTER putting the Hobbit on celluloid.

regarding 'The Hobbit' - New Line Cinema (who financed the LotR trilogy) has the necessary rights to film 'The Hobbit' - but MGM owns the distribution rights - and since Time Warner (mother company of New Line) failed to acquire MGM when it was for sale a few months back (Sony bought it) it seems currently unlikely that 'The Hobbit' will enter production. Also PJ is currently filming 'King Kong' and he hasn't decided whether to return to Middle-earth or not.
Bernd [ aka Enarwaen ]

#6 Dnas

Dnas

The Abnormal One

• WFG Retired
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 01:02 PM

The Silmarillion doesn't really work well as a movie does it? It's more of a history book/book of stories thing other than one big story. It's got the story of the silmarils, but... you know what I mean.

Also, a movie will probably anger purists even more. ;)
David Benjamin [ aka Dnas ]

Wildfire Games 0 A. D. texture artist for whom Real Life has been getting in the way of things, retired LTA head modder
Contact me: david@wildfiregames.com

Free and Open Source Software supporter, Linux user, and anti-Microsoft

Rest in Peace, FlipBizcut (1979 - 2005)

to WFG

#7 Enarwaen

Enarwaen

Finarfin stayed home

• WFG Retired
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 01:13 PM

@Dnas

very true - you could only pick the one or other interconnected story and try to film it - but the whole thing in one package would be impossible IMO.
on the other hand - if someone made a series out of it? ... nah - nevermind ... good thing those rights aren't available ...
Bernd [ aka Enarwaen ]

#8 CorrTerek

CorrTerek

Discens

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 02:02 PM

As far as the hobbit goes, I saw on theonering.net that the actors have already stated they'd come back for the filming if Peter Jackson wanted to film it, and that the hobbit stars are actually pushing him to go for it. Don't know how reliable that is, but it's what I've heard.

#9 Enarwaen

Enarwaen

Finarfin stayed home

• WFG Retired
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 02:30 PM

yep - i've heard/read that aswell. but as long as the legal situation between New Line / Time Warner and MGM / Sony isn't resolved any kind of project is stuck in limbo.
Bernd [ aka Enarwaen ]

#10 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

Curufinwe is always right.

• WFG Retired
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 06:11 PM

(;)

At least, if ever they need an actor for Feanor, I will suggest myself ... :P
David B. [ a.k.a Curufinwe ]
The Last Alliance Consultant

Visit Ardaquenta - our community driven Encyclopedia on J.R.R. Tolkien and Arda.
contact me: Curufinwe's email

"They swore an oath which none shall break, and none should take, by the name even of Ilvatar, calling the Everlasting Dark upon them if they kept it not..."
Quenta Silmarillion - Of the Flight of the oldor

Proud Member of the Tolkien Society

#11 Aztec_Brave

Aztec_Brave

Sesquiplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 07:09 PM

LOL, but we all know that if The Silmariliion comes out then Feanor will be played by either Will Smith or Jim Carey.

As far as the hobbit goes, I saw on theonering.net that the actors have already stated they'd come back for the filming if Peter Jackson wanted to film it,

That's not much use seeing as they only have a couple of characters in common: Bilbo, Ganalf, Elrond. They could possibly get Legolas in too, but that about exhausts the list.
RL is the worst game I've ever played. The graphics may be mind blowing but it's way too difficult, you can't save your game at any point, the plot sucks and the AI is frankly the worst I've ever seen.

#12 Yiuel

Yiuel

• WFG Retired
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 09:19 PM

What a pain, if it was to be one of those who play Feanor! ;) And who would play Manwe? As far as I know, there's a part in Aman as well. That will be a hard part... And who would be Melcor, and his servant Sauron! The Silmarillion cannot be filmed quite easily. Some stories though Hollywood could easily film. I once thought about Lay of Leithan which would be an easy one.

Writer of

#13 Stevethegreat

Stevethegreat

Discens

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 10:05 PM

Although Silmarillion is one book for itself , in fact it is a loooot bigger than LotR. So if LotR was 3 movies, Silmarillion must be around fifteen and then again it would be incomplete. Only separate stories of Silmarillion can stand like movies. However an act like this would certainly spoil the world of Tolkien.

Although I am completely opposite of transferring every succesfull book of Tolkien into movie, I would like to see this transfer being made in one single story: "Narn i Hn Hrin". In my opinion it is the most "movish" story of Tolkien as it narrates one man's whole life: Turin Turambar. But then again only if they animate really good the feeling this story gives to you.

#14 Yiuel

Yiuel

• WFG Retired
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 03:03 AM

It may be me, but I wasn't really moved by that story (Kill me if you want, I'll still have that opinion)

Writer of

#15 Aztec_Brave

Aztec_Brave

Sesquiplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 09:42 AM

Yeah, but it's one of the only stories long and complete enough to be turned into a film. It would still be pretty hard though.
RL is the worst game I've ever played. The graphics may be mind blowing but it's way too difficult, you can't save your game at any point, the plot sucks and the AI is frankly the worst I've ever seen.

#16 av_nefardec

av_nefardec

Primus Pilus

• WFG Retired
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 10:37 AM

hehe if it wasn't 5:43 AM and I wasn't so tired, I'd open up a "dream cast" for a Silmarillion movie thread.

*wink* *wink*
Adam [aka av_nefardec]

The Last Alliance

Contact me: adam@wildfiregames.com

#17 Valahiru

Valahiru

Duplicarius

• WFG Retired
  • 238 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 08:47 AM

True. . .a silmarillion movie would proly not go over to well with many purists. . . .thed have to make it into MANY movies -.-
Last Alliance Consultant
Contact me at: Analog20@yahoo.com

#18 Aztec_Brave

Aztec_Brave

Sesquiplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 05:01 PM

Hey, I know I'm a bit off-topic here, but:

Why the hell is the Silmarilion considered so purist?!?!?!

The book itself is not even pure Tolkien, there was considerable editing work done by Christopher Tolkien and we have no idea how compliant it was with what Tolkien would have wanted. The death of Thingol for example is entirely the work of Christopher Tolkien!

#19 Sukkit

Sukkit

Hit bi wyrd

• WFG Retired
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 06:10 PM

Why the hell is the Silmarilion considered so purist?!?!?!

I wouldn't say it's considered purist, but rather that few people know it and appreciate it, compared to the hordes of readers LotR has always enjoyed ;)

The book itself is not even pure Tolkien, there was considerable editing work done by Christopher Tolkien and we have no idea how compliant it was with what Tolkien would have wanted

Thanks to the HoME series, that's not entirely true. Actually I think the way Christopher Tolkien presented the Quenta Silmarillion was the best option at the time, and especially considering the HoME series came in later to fill in the gaps.

I think that in some ways it's great that, in the end, Tolkien's legends became sort of real mythology because he never finished them, and as a result we have several versions of any story and we cannot really know which one is "real".
Rober (aka Sukkit)
The Last Alliance - Linguist
Hige sceal heardra, heorte cnre, md sceal mre, re mǽgen ltla

#20 Dnas

Dnas

The Abnormal One

• WFG Retired
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 06:46 PM

Yeah, would be nice if Tolkien was still alive.

It really would be interesting to see what he would think of the movies.

Did he ever live to see Bakshi's (not so great) versions? I don't know when they were made.
David Benjamin [ aka Dnas ]

Wildfire Games 0 A. D. texture artist for whom Real Life has been getting in the way of things, retired LTA head modder
Contact me: david@wildfiregames.com

Free and Open Source Software supporter, Linux user, and anti-Microsoft

Rest in Peace, FlipBizcut (1979 - 2005)

to WFG