58 replies to this topic

#41 Caedus

Caedus

Community Drunk

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 11:22 PM

Sorry for being a bit late again, but I'll update the next chapter tomorrow (within 24h)!
Anco Peeters [ aka Caedus ]

The Last Alliance Semi-active TLA forumer (philosophy student)

"Christopher was always much concerned with the consistency of the story and on one occasion ... interrupted: 'Last time, you said Bilbo's front door was blue, and you said Thorin had a golden tassel on his hood, but you've just said that Bilbo's front door was green, and the tassel on Thorin's hood was silver'; at which point Ronald exclaimed 'Damn the boy!' and strode across the room to make a note."

~ Priscilla and John Tolkien, The Tolkien Family Album, Houghton Mifflin Co., 1992, p. 58.

Nice Mythology site: Encyclopedia Mythica

#42 Caedus

Caedus

Community Drunk

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 10:43 PM

I am really sorry to say this, but I won't post the next chapter today. I am just too busy with my exam of tommorow and I need my sleep :). The high temperatures here don't help either...

I apologise that I need to break my word here, but I have to make my priorities. And I feel it would be less desastrous if I post the chapter a day later.

"Christopher was always much concerned with the consistency of the story and on one occasion ... interrupted: 'Last time, you said Bilbo's front door was blue, and you said Thorin had a golden tassel on his hood, but you've just said that Bilbo's front door was green, and the tassel on Thorin's hood was silver'; at which point Ronald exclaimed 'Damn the boy!' and strode across the room to make a note."

~ Priscilla and John Tolkien, The Tolkien Family Album, Houghton Mifflin Co., 1992, p. 58.

#43 Caedus

Caedus

Community Drunk

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 09:22 PM

I'll begin to post the latest chapter now :)! Last week I've received Karen Fonstad's 'The Atlas of Middle-Earth' and Barbara Strachey's 'Journeys of Frodo'. I have to say however, that the latter one is a bit inaccurate (or so it seems to me) at the 'Old Forest' part, when the Hobbits are 'forced' to follow the route the Old Willow wants them to follow.

#44 Caedus

Caedus

Community Drunk

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 09:38 PM

David (Curufinwe), it seems I still should've done the reading on Tuesday, because I haven't been able to do it now :D. But I will update tomorrow on Sunday.

[EDIT]

It's been Monday now and I still haven't been able to work on it. I've a lawsuit (don't worry, nothing serious) tomorrow that I want to win (or at least lose, when I've done all I can) and Tolkien had to wait. I'm reallly sorry about this. When it's over I can do some reading for the group again.

On the bright side, I've passed the exam I was posting about earlier on (see above) and I've passed my first year at university :D! So that's a good thing.

If some one else things he can do the job quicker then by all means, go for it! You don't have to wait because of me.

Edited by Caedus, 11 July 2005 - 10:59 PM.

#45 Enarwaen

Enarwaen

Finarfin stayed home

• WFG Retired
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 05:43 PM

@Anco ... ready to tackle a few chapters in Curufinwe's absence? (i think i dimly remember him saying he'd be back around August 7th ...) :umm:

could you carry on the torch in the meanwhile?
Bernd [ aka Enarwaen ]

The Last Alliance Project Co-Leader, Ardaquenta Admin
Contact me: enarwaen@wildfiregames.com

Visit Ardaquenta - our community driven Encyclopedia on all things Arda!

#46 Caedus

Caedus

Community Drunk

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 11:22 PM

Sure! I'll try to post something tomorrow. Oh wait, I mean after I've slept, if you know what I mean...:D

#47 Beren IV

Beren IV

Duplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 06:38 PM

I'm not going to be around for a bit, so have fun!

#48 Caesar

Caesar

Resident theologian and decadent aristocrat

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 01:50 AM

I was wondering if I have to join the reading group? In case nobody here knows me, I'm active in the 0ad forums, but a couple days ago I started readly LOTR (as I do every year around this time) and I decided visit these forums. Currently I am at Chapter 4, Book 2- a Journey in the Dark. I would really like to get involved in the discussions here, so do I have to sign up anywhere or can I just jump in?

#49 Enarwaen

Enarwaen

Finarfin stayed home

• WFG Retired
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 04:02 AM

welcome Caesar89!

nono - no need to 'sign up' or anything - just jump right into the conversation!

OT: what do my sore eyes read in your sig - '÷sterreichischer Kanadier' - :) ... hehe ... well in that case ... greetings from Austria :D
Bernd [ aka Enarwaen ]

The Last Alliance Project Co-Leader, Ardaquenta Admin
Contact me: enarwaen@wildfiregames.com

Visit Ardaquenta - our community driven Encyclopedia on all things Arda!

#50 Caesar

Caesar

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 05:19 PM

OT: what do my sore eyes read in your sig - '÷sterreichischer Kanadier' -  ... hehe ... well in that case ... greetings from Austria

I was born in Salzburg, but moved to Canada at age 2. My family had actualy originaly moved to Canada in 1946 (my last name, Bennett, was given to my grandfather courtesy of Immigration Canada :king:), but my parent moved back in the 80's.

When do you expect to have the thread up for the next chapter?

#51 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

Curufinwe is always right.

• WFG Retired
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 08:05 AM

(:P

I will make the thread for the next chapter before the end of the week ... since I came back from holiday, I have been quite lazy :) ... but I promise you it will be done by Saturday !
David B. [ a.k.a Curufinwe ]
The Last Alliance Consultant

Visit Ardaquenta - our community driven Encyclopedia on J.R.R. Tolkien and Arda.
contact me: Curufinwe's email

"They swore an oath which none shall break, and none should take, by the name even of Ilķvatar, calling the Everlasting Dark upon them if they kept it not..."
Quenta Silmarillion - Of the Flight of the —oldor

Proud Member of the Tolkien Society

#52 Caesar

Caesar

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 10:26 PM

I will make the thread for the next chapter before the end of the week ... since I came back from holiday, I have been quite lazy† ... but I promise you it will be done by Saturday !

And what saturday might you be referring to, seeing as today is saturday and there is no thread :P

I know the feeling, after a good vacation you want to do nothing but sleep :)

Edited by Caesar89, 20 August 2005 - 10:29 PM.

#53 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

• WFG Retired
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 08:25 AM

(:)

Sorry sorry ... I am having very busy days recently ... I shall try to make ASAP, but if I can't, please forgive me ...

Visit Ardaquenta - our community driven Encyclopedia on J.R.R. Tolkien and Arda.

"They swore an oath which none shall break, and none should take, by the name even of Ilķvatar, calling the Everlasting Dark upon them if they kept it not..."

#54 Caedus

Caedus

Community Drunk

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 08:16 PM

No problemo!

Actually, I kinda feel like I should have done some posting in your absense.

And I don't really have an excuse: just being lazy. But then again, holidays are almost over, so I must enjoy being able to be lazy while I can :).

#55 Caesar

Caesar

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 03:15 AM

So I see since nobody has posted here for a long, long time that the TLA reading group is dead? ;)

#56 rohirwine

rohirwine

Easterling-dunadan axe thrower

• WFG Retired
  • 2,853 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 10:54 AM

Well, David has some real life issues and we all have been bogged down in the recent turn in the game design, so , noone really had time to bring this on.
We'll fix it as soon as possible, thanks for the attention ;)
Matteo (aka Rohirwine)

TLA Game Designer ; TLA Consultant
Contact me: Rohirwine

"This is the beginning of a beautiful friendship!" Casablanca, 1942
"Too old for Rock'n Roll, too young to die" Jethro Tull
"Moss doesn't cling to a rolling stone" Joseph Hillstrom

#57 Caedus

Caedus

Community Drunk

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 11:31 PM

University started again here. Not really an excuse, I know. I must confess I also needed a break for awhile.

I would like to make this suggestion: how about me (or anyone) makes new posts about the Chapters (after reading them of course, just like we did till now) in a more quick succession? The good thing about having a forum is, that we can use it when it suits ourselves (when talking about time) compared to ordinairy reading groups. So people can just react when they feel like it.

It doesn't help when I have to slow down on only reading a chapter per week. I think it might be a good way to revive this.

So, what about it :)?

#58 Caesar

Caesar

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 11:38 PM

Well if I could make a suggestion, why dont we just delete the LoTR topics altougather (or archive them) and start all over with another book (the Sil or the Hobbit would be a good start). Now that I am on the TLA staff I would gladly take over and post topics for the chapters, if that is ok :)

#59 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

• WFG Retired
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 05:35 PM

:)

Well, if I am given time, I will start the Reading Group again, where it stops, that is to say, at Chapter 10 ... but I can't now ... I guess in 2-3 weeks, I will be fully operational ;)