4 replies to this topic

#1 Caedus

Caedus

Community Drunk

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 09:45 AM

Yes ladies and gentlemen, we will continue to follow the road, even if it delays a little, like mister Frodo said:

"Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones."

In this chapter we wake up at an Elven camp with no Elves, we try to find our way through the bushes. We shrink in fear at the howling of an unseen (but not unknown) creature and we see three big dogs running towards Sam and Frodo. Our journey here ends with us sitting in a wagon of Farmer Maggot in the black of the night.

But do not worry, despite the dark tone there is reason to laugh too, when the farmer gives Frodo a present:

"Suddenly Frodo laughed: from the covered basket he held, the scent of mushrooms was rising"

Why that is so funny? Please read the chapter :axeman:.
Anco Peeters [ aka Caedus ]

The Last Alliance Semi-active TLA forumer (philosophy student)

"Christopher was always much concerned with the consistency of the story and on one occasion ... interrupted: 'Last time, you said Bilbo's front door was blue, and you said Thorin had a golden tassel on his hood, but you've just said that Bilbo's front door was green, and the tassel on Thorin's hood was silver'; at which point Ronald exclaimed 'Damn the boy!' and strode across the room to make a note."

~ Priscilla and John Tolkien, The Tolkien Family Album, Houghton Mifflin Co., 1992, p. 58.

Nice Mythology site: Encyclopedia Mythica

#2 Caedus

Caedus

Community Drunk

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 09:50 AM

What strikes me is that the Elves left such an impression on poor Sam. Even Frodo notices that, though Sam looks like Sam, he has an unusual thoughtful face the morning they wake up. But it seems Elves do such things with people.

Bah, they make us really looking forward to tasting the beer at the 'Golden Perch' when Frodo ruins it, by taking them on a 'short cut'. :axeman: But if I'm honest, I also have to say that the beer of Farmer Maggot made up for it.

What about the cry of the Riders (assuming it was them)? Wouldn't it be a cool ability to give them in the game? I suppose that they can strike fear into their enemies with it and/or boost the statistics of their comrades.

The name of Farmer Maggot's land, Bamfurlong, does any of you has an idea what is means? I found it a bit strange a name :torch:.

Finally I want to point out that the farmer is one brave Hobbit to stand against and speak so defiantly to a Ringwraith. It takes guts to do so, even more so when your dogs back away from it.

"Christopher was always much concerned with the consistency of the story and on one occasion ... interrupted: 'Last time, you said Bilbo's front door was blue, and you said Thorin had a golden tassel on his hood, but you've just said that Bilbo's front door was green, and the tassel on Thorin's hood was silver'; at which point Ronald exclaimed 'Damn the boy!' and strode across the room to make a note."

~ Priscilla and John Tolkien, The Tolkien Family Album, Houghton Mifflin Co., 1992, p. 58.

#3 Enarwaen

Enarwaen

Finarfin stayed home

• WFG Retired
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 01:20 PM

thank you Anco for your effort in reviving the TRG :axeman: -> Rep++
Bernd [ aka Enarwaen ]

The Last Alliance Project Co-Leader, Ardaquenta Admin
Contact me: enarwaen@wildfiregames.com

Visit Ardaquenta - our community driven Encyclopedia on all things Arda!

#4 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

Curufinwe is always right.

• WFG Retired
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 07:30 PM

(:axeman:

great work, Anco!

About Farmer Maggot's name, Tolkien uses names which have an English conotation. Samwise (Sam-Wise => refers to his wisdom?), Hamfast (Ham-Fast), Bamfurlong (Bam-Furlong) ...
Those names have to have roots in English language since Hobbits are supposed to be "Middle Class English people". Actually, my cousin's name would really be Tolkienish since her family name is Morkham (Ham of Mork) ... etc ...
David B. [ a.k.a Curufinwe ]
The Last Alliance Consultant

Visit Ardaquenta - our community driven Encyclopedia on J.R.R. Tolkien and Arda.
contact me: Curufinwe's email

"They swore an oath which none shall break, and none should take, by the name even of Ilúvatar, calling the Everlasting Dark upon them if they kept it not..."
Quenta Silmarillion - Of the Flight of the Ńoldor

Proud Member of the Tolkien Society

#5 Caedus

Caedus

Community Drunk

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 03:41 PM

Thanks for the thanks :-)!

I looked up the word 'Furlong' in my dictionary and it says: '1/8 of an English mile'. So it seems to explain how large the Farmers land is.