• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 dathui

dathui

Vikings > Romans

• WFG Retired
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 01:37 PM

One of our resident artists, Anushka or NaurwenT, have come up with a new stunning piece. Enjoy!

Posted Image

Edited by NaurwenT, 15 February 2006 - 04:04 PM.

Mikael [ aka dathui ]

The Last Alliance Administrative Assistant
Contact me: dathui@wildfiregames.com

My god carries a hammer. Your god died nailed to a tree. Any questions?

#2 Rinion

Rinion

Sesquiplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 04:21 PM

Brilliant! I wish I was that talented... I can't even draw a good stick figure :)
Posted Image

#3 Lord Typaer

Lord Typaer

Discens

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 06:49 PM

Really, really good portrait! Awesome!

Just one thing:The ring (or whatever it's called) on his head, seems kinda like, well, "pasted on". I don't know if you understand what I mean with that, though...
I hope you don't have anything againts critique, cause' I'm not meaning anything bad with it... :) You're still WAAAAY better than me, anyways.

I'm not particullary good at pointing out the things that's really great in drawings and such, so you have to excuse me for that part.
Maybe it has something to do with that the entire piece is totally awsome? :(

(To Rinion: Do you want to learn to draw? Then you should check this book out. It clearly states that EVERYONE can learn to draw :D )
_________________________________________\<>\_____________________/<>/_________________________________________
_____________________________L O R D______ I--0[ _\__0__\__I__/__0__/_ ]0--I______T Y P A E R__________________________
---------------------------------------------------------/<>/ 3rd B e s t Battle S c e n e \<>\---------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------
In The Second Annual AOK Screenshot Competition-------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------W W J D--------------------------------------------------------------------------

#4 NaurwenT

NaurwenT

Digresser Extraordinaire

• WFG Retired
  • 783 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 07:16 PM

LordTypaer
It's ok. :)
I understand what you mean, but the circlet is not "pasted on", although the perspective is wrong and I shall correct this, and make it wider.
However, I would like to point out that I'm more interested and focused on getting the look and soul of the character right - and that is the kind of feedback art departments need, reviewers to take the time to considerate if the concept portrays the character in an accurate manner, doing justice to what Tolkien envisioned and wrote :D

TLA Linguistic & Art Departments

#5 Caesar

Caesar

Resident theologian and decadent aristocrat

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 09:12 PM

WOW :D

Great work :)

#6 Deacon_Raptor

Deacon_Raptor

Sesquiplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 09:49 PM

My thoughts exactly Caeser lol...wow.

How did you do it....it has the look of a painting and yet somehow it more looks like it was made to look that way. I dunno, little inconsistencies etc that make it look like it was made to look like a painting.......if you what I mean then fine, Im having a moment where my sentance gets too involved for its own good; by the time its done I probably wont know what I was trying to say anymore lol.

Awesome job man :)
Posted Image
The strength of a style is that it focuses, giving form. The more distinct the style, the greater the strength. The weakness of a style is that it focuses, giving form. The more distinct the style, the greater the weakness.

#7 Beren IV

Beren IV

Duplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 10:00 PM

That is a good picture. Well done! :)

#8 draugaer

draugaer

Discens

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 02:33 AM

At last Baren aproves of something! :)

Seriously though, that is a very good portait of Maedhros, I think you captured his character fairly well, he has the look of one who left his kin for dead and hung out (literally) on Thadordrim !

Its also nice to see that this project is still being developed even in the absence of my brother. I would offer my help but I'm afraid that I am too busy with school.

#9 Caesar

Caesar

Resident theologian and decadent aristocrat

• Community Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 02:57 AM

Very detailed :D

Good to see you again draugaer :)

#10 NaurwenT

NaurwenT

Digresser Extraordinaire

• WFG Retired
  • 783 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 12:45 PM

Thanks to you all for your feedback :)

#11 Lord Typaer

Lord Typaer

Discens

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 02:24 PM

However, I would like to point out that I'm more interested and focused on getting the look and soul of the character right - and that is the kind of feedback art departments need, reviewers to take the time to considerate if the concept portrays the character in an accurate manner, doing justice to what Tolkien envisioned and wrote :(

I'm sorry I can't help you at that part, because I'm not exactly well educated in Tolkien's universe. I'm especially unfamiliar with this piece, since I got no clue who Maedhros is :D
But hopefully I can put some input on later works :) I have read LOTR, The Hobbit AND The Silmarillion (even though I don't remember all of it, least of all any of the names :D )

Edited by Lord Typaer, 03 November 2005 - 04:59 PM.

_________________________________________\<>\_____________________/<>/_________________________________________
_____________________________L O R D______ I--0[ _\__0__\__I__/__0__/_ ]0--I______T Y P A E R__________________________
---------------------------------------------------------/<>/ 3rd B e s t Battle S c e n e \<>\---------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------
In The Second Annual AOK Screenshot Competition-------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------W W J D--------------------------------------------------------------------------

#12 Beren IV

Beren IV

Duplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 06:14 AM

At last Baren aproves of something

Hey! If I really disapproved of TLA, I would pay it no mind. The very fact that I am here is proof that I do look forward to it! :)

#13 draugaer

draugaer

Discens

• Community Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 06:27 AM

Hehe I know Beren I was just joking around, your input and questioning of discions is both interesting to the community as well as a help to the develpment team.

Edited by draugaer, 09 November 2005 - 06:27 AM.

#14 Deacon_Raptor

Deacon_Raptor

Sesquiplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 07:39 PM

And that is the real point of a community for even fan-based game developers.

People like Beren and I (among others), while not part of the development team (yet anyways, who knows, maybe one day?) canhelp keep yas on the straight and narrow anyway :)
Posted Image
The strength of a style is that it focuses, giving form. The more distinct the style, the greater the strength. The weakness of a style is that it focuses, giving form. The more distinct the style, the greater the weakness.

#15 Beren IV

Beren IV

Duplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 11:56 PM

Hehe I know Beren I was just joking around

I know, of course! :D

But I see that I have a reputation of being critical. Sometimes, perhaps, I think too much like a scientist. :)

#16 Rinion

Rinion

Sesquiplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 04:42 AM

Speaking of which, why aren't you part of the team? Look at the facts:

a) You're 1 of the 4 people who come here very regularly
:) You know a large amount of Tolkienlore
c) You're enthusiastic, and don't enjoy hiatus

TLA wants YOU!
*Inserts picture of Gandalf pointing at screen*
Posted Image

#17 NaurwenT

NaurwenT

Digresser Extraordinaire

• WFG Retired
  • 783 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 02:13 PM

Rinion,
I would say that's a question for the team to decide, wouldnt you agree? :)

#18 Beren IV

Beren IV

Duplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 04:57 AM

Speaking of which, why aren't you part of the team?

Are you asking me? :) I would think that is first for me to decide, before the team even gets to look at my application, and right now, I don't have time to do more than drop by once every couple of days. That's not enough time to join the project!

#19 NaurwenT

NaurwenT

Digresser Extraordinaire

• WFG Retired
  • 783 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 04:52 PM

The TLA team can also contact suitable candidates even without a previous application.
Then, it's up to the candidate to consider whether to join the team or refuse the offer :)

#20 Deacon_Raptor

Deacon_Raptor

Sesquiplicarius

• Community Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 09:32 PM

That is how they get new staff at HG as well, I believe.
Posted Image