PCGamingWiki Article for 0 A.D.

nicereddy

Hello everyone, I was wondering if I could get some help working on the PCGamingWiki Article for 0 A.D. The PCGW is dedicated to supplying information and fixes on every PC game available, including this one.

If you need help, please see the Sample Article. If you aren't comfortable with Wiki syntax, just use the Discussion page and others can help put your information in the page.

Thanks, I apologize if this is considered spam. If you believe it is, feel free to take it off.

EDIT:

Here are some things we need for the article if you'd like to help:

• How to "hack" settings, since there's no settings menu right now I'm guessing there are various config edits you can use to change settings. If you can link me to guides for that, I'd appreciate it.
  • Windows and Mac OS X save locations
  • Game Issues and how to fix them
  • A wiki, if there is one
  • A list of commands you can use in the command line for the game

Edited by nicereddy
  • Like 2

Hello everyone, I was wondering if I could get some help working on the PCGamingWiki Article for 0 A.D. The PCGW is dedicated to supplying information and fixes on every PC game available, including this one.

If you need help, please see the Sample Article. If you aren't comfortable with Wiki syntax, just use the Discussion page and others can help put your information in the page.

Thanks, I apologize if this is considered spam. If you believe it is, feel free to take it off.

Nope, not spam (at least IMHO). Looks like a cool project. Maybe one of our uber fans can help fill out the wiki page! The page as it is has a good start already. One thing I would note is that Field of View (FOV) should be listed as "hackable," if by "hackable" you mean you can edit a config file. Perhaps a mention of where to find the config files is in order as well.

Can you tell us a little bit more about the PCGamingWiki? How long has it been around? How many visitors does it currently get? How visible is it to the gaming community? What is your relationship to the site (are you just a contributor or are you affiliated with the site in some way)? :)

Hi, thanks for your interest. Right now we're most popular amongst the reddit gaming population, but we try to post to smaller game-specific forums about it to spread the word as well. I'm one of the most common contributors, but not a moderator or anything like that. The PCGW has been around for just over a year, I believe. I don't have access to the visitor stats, but when big games come out (most recently BioShock Infinite and SimCity), we usually get an upwards of 10,000 to 15,000 unique visitors each day.

Can you go more in-depth into how to edit the config file to change the FOV? That would indeed be considered "hackable", and I'll add it as soon as I can.

Hi, thanks for your interest. Right now we're most popular amongst the reddit gaming population, but we try to post to smaller game-specific forums about it to spread the word as well. I'm one of the most common contributors, but not a moderator or anything like that. The PCGW has been around for just over a year, I believe. I don't have access to the visitor stats, but when big games come out (most recently BioShock Infinite and SimCity), we usually get an upwards of 10,000 to 15,000 unique visitors each day.

Some good info. Thanks for answering my questions. Looks like it would be plus for us to help maintain our page there. :)
Can you go more in-depth into how to edit the config file to change the FOV? That would indeed be considered "hackable", and I'll add it as soon as I can.

Line 150 in data/config/default.cfg

view.fov = 45.0							 ; Field of view (degrees), lower is narrow, higher is wide

All of the items in default.cfg are editable by creating a new file called "local.cfg" and pasting the relevant lines from default.cfg there. Whatever is in local.cfg will overwrite what's in default.cfg (you should not edit default.cfg, you should make a local.cfg file and edit the lines there).

Eventually we'll extend this to be editable via an in-game graphics menu, but right now the local.cfg is the only way of doing it. Another example is enabling the "high quality" graphics (normal maps, bloom, etc.).

; Local Configuration Settings

xres = 1920
yres = 1080

; System settings:

waternormals = true
waterbinormals = true
waterrealdepth = true
waterfoam = true
watercoastalwaves = true
waterrefraction = true
waterreflection = true
watershadows = true

showsky = false

postproc = true

; Replace alpha-blending with alpha-testing, for performance experiments
forcealphatest = false

; Quality level of shader effects (set to 10 to display effects)
materialmgr.quality = 10

; Prefer GLSL shaders over ARB shaders (not recommended). REQUIRES gentangents=true.
preferglsl = true

; Experimental probably-non-working GPU skinning support; requires preferglsl; use at own risk
gpuskinning = true

; Generate tangents for normal and parallax mapping. REQUIRES preferglsl=true. Incompatible with gpuskinning.
gentangents = true

; Use smooth LOS interpolation; REQUIRES preferglsl=true.
smoothlos = true

^This is my local.cfg

I couldn't find my default.cfg (where is it for the Linux version?), so I didn't include that part as I don't know where the files are. However, I did include the local.cfg information you mentioned. You can see it here, tell me if I messed anything up.

Edited by nicereddy

FOV dictates the viewing angle that you see, not the zoom.

The terminology is confusing because with a real camera changing the FOV is done by zooming. In our game we use the word zoom to mean changing the height of the camera so that it moves closer to the units. So when you zoom in 0 A.D. the FOV is not changed, the real life equivalent is moving the camera towards the subject so that it appears larger.