Hi to you all! With the 5th anniversary of 0 A.D. being open-source nearing, we thought of organizing a design contest: Mapping Contest 16. (Number 16 because the current release is Alpha 16)
The aim of Mapping Contest is to create a playable skirmish map that fits in one of the predefined themes. I'll elaborate the requirements further down the announcement.
The theme list for this contest is as following:
1. Northern Highlands:
In the lands where rocks and mountain rule the earth and snow and rain dominate the air, a few remnants of humanity dare to resist the supremacy of the forces of Nature.
2. Ancient Lands:
Once there was a highly civilized kingdom, now only pain and rocks. However, rumors say that great treasures are to be found beyond the walls of this destroyed city.
As for every contest there is a set of rules:
- The jury is not allowed to participate in the contest.
- Taking inspiration from other maps is allowed, literally copy-pasting isn't. Note that too obviously being inspired by other maps results in a lower originality rating.
- The jury always has the final word.
- It is up to the designer to use either the SVN repository or Atlas 16. Note that in case of SVN, triggers are not allowed yet.
Jurying is twofold: The community votes for the best map in the category (which are listed a bit below) and the jury rates every map. Then the results are compared by the jury and the winners are announced.
This is the points-breakdown the jury will handle:
- Gameplay 30
- Aesthetics 30
- Originality 30
- Overall Harmony / Coherence 10
As for the jury, the jury consists of the following members:
Shieldwolf23: Lead jury, veteran scenario designer
Thamlett: Co-jury, initiator of the Council of Modders' Mappack
Niektb: Co-jury, creator of the Schwarzwald Random Map
For each theme we do have the following awards (note that the italic awards only apply when there are more than 15 submitters):
- Best overall map
- Most original
- Most aesthetically pleasing
- Best gameplay
These awards are:
- A badge / medal to beautify your forum profile, as well as an icon in the map preview image.
- The ultimate victor (the best of both themes) lands as the default map in the next release, Alpha 17. WFG reserves the right to make little tweaks and / or additions to this map.
- Winners get into the Council of Modders' Mappack if they're not included in the main game.
In a submission we require a zip with the following:
- All the map files should be included.
- One screenshot and a 400x300 map preview image. (Reduce the fog if you have many to get a clear overview, please no signature in the preview image) To create a screenshot in Atlas: Zoom / rotate till you have the part at the screen that you want to create a screenshot of, then click Misc hacks in the top bar > screenshot. Check the message for the save location.
- The map should be either normal or medium sized and should have 2-4 players (depending on the flavour of the designer). The map should logically correspond to one of the two themes. We also require to release the map under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license to be able to land in 0 A.D. or in the CoM Mappack. By submitting your map you automatically release it under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.
The deadline on the submission is 00:01 GMT 23th August 2014. You can submit your map by posting an attachment in the topic that will be created at the Wildfiregames forum, a week before the deadline.
After this deadline the community is allowed to vote (in a topic that also will be created) and the jury will discuss the winner behind closed doors.
We're planning to do a contests every Alpha release, so no worries if you don't win this time.
One last tip: Make use of the Post Processing settings to enhance the look and feeling of your map.
Edit: I've opened a submission topic:
For technical discussion refer to this topic: http://www.wildfireg...showtopic=18896
For any other question you can ask in this topic: http://www.wildfireg...showtopic=18897 (The announcement in the WFG forums)
Have fun and may the best win!
Edited by niektb, 16 August 2014 - 09:52 AM.